Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-30-2008, 05:46 PM

Default fishing the sipsey

fished from 1:00 til 4:30pm yeasterday(tuesday)had rain and a front moving in.caught over 20 fish and missed that many.its been a while since they ran water and the fish have started to get darker(i guess to blend in to surroundings)great colors.i didnt know they had just stocked and stayed down river some all day.i like fishing for the holdovers anyway and caught some nice fish for the sipsey.i was using a size 22 olive emerger midge and a sz12 wooley bugger in olive.the emerger is something i tied up in tenn. and was supposed to float and did some but they seemed to like it in the film.had a fun day.
dalefish
Old 01-30-2008, 07:56 PM

What is the fishing like there? Can I wade? Do I need a boat? I've been hiking in Sipsey for years but have never fished there...
Old 01-31-2008, 01:59 AM

Default Don't get confused...

Dalefish is actually talking about the Tailwater just below Smith Lake Dam,Off of Hwy 69, between Jasper and Cullman. It's easily wadeable when the dam is not generating. They stock rainbow trout there about every other month.
You could check here, in that a few of us also will post Stocking dates. I've actually ran in to Dalefish on the creek there (really nice and helpful Guy...he knows a great deal, about that tailwater.)
Be sure to check www.riversideflyshop.com for what's working, generation schedule, etc... so you don't have any wet and cold surprises.

As to the Sipsey Wilderness, I too have camped and hiked there, have done a little fishing... but NO TROUT in the Wilderness Ohh if there only were!