Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-03-2008, 07:58 PM

I see you caught my "tagged" fish.. lol. I ain't sure where that baby came from but I am guessing it either came "up" from Chilhowee or Calderwood if your in the park. I can NOT wait to get into these fish. This may be taboo but these lake runners taste like salmon. They are the best tasting fish I have put to my lips. I would venture to guess it's an otter bite. These lakes are full of them. I counted a family of 5 otters on Chilhowee just the other day. The most I have ever seen on Chilhowee in a day was 18 and there was no way possible that they could have been the same otters. They were pups with adults. Beautiful creatures.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNHunt View Post
I would venture to guess it's an otter bite.
Yahtzee! That has to be it - it's at least the most plausible possibility. I forgot about the otters.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:25 PM

On my way home from work I got to thinking about this thread. Everyone talks about Abrams creek and the "lake runners" that it gets. I started to wondering about the few smaller "feeder" creeks that come into Chilhowee. Tabcat for example. It's a smaller creek but fishable. Panther creek that feeds into Abrams creek is also fishable. Big fish in little streams... now that's not something you find everyday. I bet it would be a blast. Has anyone ever fished these creeks that's willing to tell about it. These may be some hidden treasures worth looking into. I might give a report (if the fishing is slow LOL and I can arrange the time) at the end of this week or next. Good fishing everyone.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:15 PM

I'm no expert on it (I've only been fishing the park for about a year), but Jswitow is the resident guru of Snowbird Creek, which is a similar scenario - he hauls in some really huge trout. From what I've read, you can really catch some big fish in small streams, in the right conditions.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:05 AM

Default What about the fish.

That is a log. I couldn't imagine pulling that fish out of one of those streams. Without giving the exact location, is this right at the mouth or a mile upstream or so?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:55 PM

I would like an exact location with GPS X,Y,Z please…Also, please include time of day. Heck, just pick me up when you swing by that spot again. LOL.

How big were the others you caught? Were you using drys or nymphs?

I was thinking about taking the worms, corn, and spinners up to the mouth of Abrams this weekend and see how many I can catch before I take out the fly rod. I should be able to get a feel for how many are running right now. Not too sporting but it should tell me what I want to know.

I am almost thinking that fish has been there all summer though. It still might be kinda early for a pre-spawn. I have looked into some deep pools in lower Abrams (above the campground) before and saw some monsters like that one. They would not take anything.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:20 PM

These fish were not far above the mouth of creek "X"... They were actively feeding: one ate an egg and one took a midge... Not many fish were in the creek though. Checked again today and never saw any large fish in any of the streams I checked. It might be a bit early. I'm thinking that the next two weeks or so will be improving rapidly unless they're done already. Anyone know when the fish usually run up Abrams and other streams?

If anyone checks the mouth of Abrams, let me know how you do if you don't mind. Feel free to send me an email (can be found through my blog) if you want to keep it quiet...

I think I might have to bring my canoe down so I can access the mouth of Abrams myself...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-05-2008, 09:36 PM

Default How clever?

So, PA, is this just a diversion to keep people out of Abrams? Send me a report, indeed.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 02-05-2008, 09:45 PM

Well, if it's still a bit early, just realize that Spring isn't far off. We had wonderful weather down here today for the last day of Carnival - a high in the low 80s, and the low was only 69...with Mardi Gras falling so early this year, everyone was worried about the weather. Anyway, while I'm sure there will be more cold weather to come, today was definitely a harbinger of things to come.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

panther creek is a bit of a bushwack, you gotta go over a ridge with no trail, so unless there are more than one, stay on abrams