Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Salmon and Steelhead

Old 12-16-2012, 03:31 PM

Default My first steelie...

Well, I don't know about you but I will jump on the chance to feel a heavy tug on the end of my line any chance I get. Being up in the Smokies and flirting with 10" trout is always fun no doubt but how often do you have to chase one of those fish a couple hundred yards down river...?? So, being up in NY this past September for my niece's birthday party, I couldn't help but realize that it is just about the time of year when some really BIG fish leave Lake Ontario and head up river... do you see where this is going..??

Well suffice to say, I made the three hour drive over to the lake and spent some quality time with my rod doubled over for about five days straight. Even after some seriously sore muscles and a bought of dehydration from the intense workout of long days on the river, I can say that it was soooooo totally worth it!!!!!!!

Now what everyone is waiting for... fish p**n!!

Always need to get a pic of that first fish because you never know how the rest of the day is going to turn out. Here is the first fish of the trip. A feisty male king...

Several fish later, I land this nice female and happen to find someone to snap a quick pic for me. She fought really hard and I had to run after this one a little. Was around 39" if I remember correctly...

Of course, I tangled with a few Cohos as well. This one went to the smoker and was done with a honey smoke... it was delicious!!!

Ok, well this girl tested my limits to the max as she took me about two hundred yards down river before I finally wore her out. I was completely exhausted after this battle. She taped at 41" and was roughly around 35lbs.

Now for the REAL reason you wanted to check out this report... My first ever steelie on the fly. He taped over 30" and weighed in at 12lbs. I was a VERY happy camper...

Another fine 28" piece of steel...

Tight Lines,
Old 12-16-2012, 04:22 PM

Good Lord man! Those are some piggies... Congrats on a good trip. Definitely a bucket list item.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 12-16-2012, 09:35 PM

awesome post and great pics. i now have a new desire i have never had. can you give any info on the equipment one would need on a trip like that. man those are some nice fish
Old 12-17-2012, 09:39 AM

Smile Wow!

The only thing I'd be afraid of after a trip like that would be the fact that the fishing around here just wouldn't stack up.

Hope you can still enjoy chasing the 2-9 inchers that are typical here in the Smokies

Thanks for the post and sharing your trophies with us
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 AM

Awesome report. Very nice. Thays one thing I've wanted to do to get salmon and steelhead trip. You should be proud. Large fish like that takes some special skills.
Lynn
Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 PM

WOW!!! Definitely some nice fish when you have to rest them on your knee to get a picture.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
can you give any info on the equipment one would need on a trip like that.
Definitely nothing cosmic...
Minimum: Just a strong 8wt. or 9wt. 12lb leaders, some weight and egg patterns in sizes #4-#8.

Recommended: All of the above plus; a second stronger 8wt. or 9wt. a second reel with spare flyline and a net man comes in handy as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
WOW!!! Definitely some nice fish when you have to rest them on your knee to get a picture.
You got that right!! no standing up with some hero pose after battling these fish. It's effort enough just to get them up on the knee after the punishment some of these fish dish out...

Tight Lines,
Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM

Wow, nicely done...Those are some beasts! Maybe I'll make it up north one day

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 PM

Wow you had an epic 2012 on the fishing front! Good work!!! Looking forward to more great reports this year...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com