Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Salmon and Steelhead

Old 07-27-2008, 08:47 PM

Thanks,
Our Fly Fishing Club has a trip planned Sept. 14-19.
I was just wondering if Steelhead would be an option
as well as the Salmon. We will be mainly on the Pere
Marquette.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:22 AM

Default Pere Marquette

Good luck, and let us know how you fare. You won't be far from the Little and Big Manistees either. Probably the PM is as good as it gets though.
Post some pics too! I am hoping to go this fall, but have not booked yet. Probably won't get there this year.
Tight lines,
John
Old 07-31-2008, 06:00 PM

The trip that was kind of in the works back in the late winter/early spring is now looking like a possibility for Sept or Oct. That should be pretty good timing I think

sb
Old 08-24-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Principal View Post
Thanks,
Our Fly Fishing Club has a trip planned Sept. 14-19.
I was just wondering if Steelhead would be an option
as well as the Salmon. We will be mainly on the Pere
Marquette.
In years past the chinooks were in the river by the end of august....once that happens the trout fishing goes to heck....skamania run steelhead should be in the river by late July in small numbers....hooked several in early august years past....be ready for the break offs....crazy fish...

GS
Old 08-25-2008, 02:06 PM

I just moved to Ohio and want to get up and fish some of the great lake tributaries. I'll get a guide for the first trip, but when is the best time to fish up there? And where is the fishing better: Ohio, Michigan, or Pennsylvania?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:14 PM

Default mad River Outfitters Linl

Hello ,

I have posted a link before for Mad River Outfitters which is located in Columbus, OH. The keep a ongoing report during the season on the Ohio steelhead streams I bought my first flyfishing outfit from them around 12 yrs ago. I went fishing one time at Cooneaut Creek. We got skunked that day since ithad rained a lot the day before and the water was off-color. Clink on the link for flyfishing reports and you should be able to get an idea of season.

You may also want to try the Mad River for brown trout. I caught my first trout on a salmon egg there around 34 yrs. ago. It's a limestone stream, very fertile and has some nice browns. Access is somewhat limited, but it's a nice stream.

Good luck,

Neal

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/t-...d-central.aspx
Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Anyone have any experience on the Dowagiac or Galien rivers in southern Michigan?

I'll be in that area for a few days this weekend and would like a diversion from family activities

From what I've gathered the Gowagiac is a decent river with some stocked browns. Sounds like there is fairly good access as well. I've got a 9' 5wt that I'm hoping will be stout enough. Looking for recommendations on flies or outfitters in the area.

Hope everyone has a fun and safe 4th.

Ryan