Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-07-2008, 09:09 PM

Default technology again

have noticed a barrage of new advanced fly lines on the marketwhich one fits stream fishing best?--are they that advantageous as opposed to older lines?--am curious about "the shark" line,a hundred bucks for what?Are we getting too technical?What would a Smokies specific fly line,if marketed,be relative to other fly lines?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:58 AM

For the Smokies I use a neutral or dark colored fly line, Double Tapered. I'll bet that 90% of the time I don't have more than 8-10 feet of fly line outside the tip top of my rod. Mind you, I am not talking about tailwaters, or large pools on the lower end of Little River. I can't see paying 100 bucks for something that I only use a small portion of. That's what I like about a double tapered fly line; I can reverse it when one end gets cracked and dirty. Fly lines in the Smokies last me for years...

If a person is fishing waters that take long casts, then I can possibly see the benefits. I wonder if the "indentations" on the line collect grime and dirt?

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 02-08-2008, 07:04 PM

Default Wondered the same thing CC

The fish scales would have to collect slime...

I guess this is opening the door for the "Shark Juice" Line cleaning system... avilable in two easy payments of $79.99 plus $30.00 shipping and handling(offer void where prohibited by law).

And they wonder why people look at Flyfishing as exclusionary! Granted; a Fly fisherman should be able to catch fish with the $19.99 Pfleuger starter kit (I have)...but it is a lot more fun to do it with style

Heaven knows you wouldn't want to give the trout any MORE reason to laugh at us.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:43 PM

Default Style

I've heard it said,"For $100 you can catch fish. For $1000 you can have the look"
Old 02-09-2008, 09:32 AM

Default Shark Skin

I haven't fished with one of the new sharkskin lines yet, I've only cast it out in the backyard. That said...it really does cast well. The texture to the line causes less contact with the guides making less friction.
I have had the same thoughts about the texture attracting dirt and pond scum. Our SA sales rep, Park Burson, said that he was surprised that even casting the lines in parking lots (which kills lines very quickly) didn't seem to have much effect on how they cast. They are made from the same material that the other Scientific Angler lines are so they clean the same way with either soap and water or the SA Cleaning pads.

The people who I've sold the Sharkskin lines to love them. They report back that they shoot line great, float high, and mend easily. The Sharkskin is a perfect tailwater and big river line. You'll just have to give it a try.

Daniel