Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fishing Classic Rods and Gear

Old 03-01-2008, 10:04 PM

Default black beauty

I sold my Heddon #17 Black Beauties today--I had all the lengths plus original tubes etc,--can't say I ever casted any of them --what's the deal with heddon #17's--they looked strictly middle of the road in quality and finish--I wish I had a hundred of them because they sell.the shorter one's seem to be more valuable.I think black beauty bamboo's were sold primarily by hardware stores.They were not considered to be one of Heddon's upper echelon rods were they?made enough to pay Babb for the cumberland river special 8wt bamboo rod,that'al be ready soon---
Old 03-01-2008, 10:47 PM

Larry,

So Uncle Walter (Private Babb) is making a new rod for you. You lucky guy. I'll be in your neck of the woods in six weeks. Turkey season in Kentucky is something I don't miss. I'll cross Silver Creek and end up after 5 creek crossings of Sled Branch at our little hunting camp on Paint Lick Creek. I'll be thinking about you when I cross the bridge near the old mill. Have a nice Spring buddy.

Byron
Old 03-01-2008, 11:57 PM

not sure what you mean you had all the lengths but if you did and sold them you should be 10/ 12,000 dollars richer.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:44 PM

Default to canerod

I had a 7 1/2ft,8ft,8 1/2 ft,9ft 5 wts ---I should have said I had the lengths in 5 wts--sorry about that--I wonder how many wt's, sizes ,etc heddon built in the #17--
Old 03-02-2008, 06:11 PM

Even those rods depending what the ferrule size and condition you should have received a few thousand.

Heddons # 17
6' # 00 ferr
6'6" #0 1/2 ferr
7' # 0 1/2 ferr
7 1/2 #0 1/2 ferr
7 1/2 #1 1/2 ferr
8' # 0 ferr
8' # 1 3/4 ferr
8' # # 2 ferr
8 1/2 # 1 3/4 ferr
8 1/2 # 2 ferr
8 1/2 #2 1/2 ferr
9' # 2 ferr
9' # 2 1/2 ferr
9' # 2 3/4 ferr
9' # 3 ferr
9 1/2 # 2 1/2 ferr
9' 1/2 # 2 3/4 ferr
9' 1/2 # 3 ferr
I think thats it if you need help mmfarm@ccvn.com dave
Old 03-03-2008, 08:43 AM

There were quite a few "working man rods" made, some of them were actually nice fishing rods despite the cosmetics.
Folks have been buyig & hording the nicer rods for years, i knew the "workinh man rods" would start bringing some money on account of the nicer ones being a little scarce or just to blame high.
Is the 8 weight you're having built a HOLLOWBUILT rod?

Grumpy
Old 03-03-2008, 12:25 PM

Default grumpy

I don't know--Walter said he knew a great 8wt taper--This all started when I hooked a 9lb brown while wading the cumberland---was using a tandem rig -prince nymph--weight--prince nymph as dropper--a Humphries rig--the nymphs were #14's---5X tippett---4wt bamboo rod(One of Walter's)-casted above a seam--drifted into the seam--the line stopped--the brown then ran like the devil---My rig was too light---in just a second or two the fish was into the backing--I tried to lift the rod tip---found the rod tip on a plane with my eyes--the strands in the bamboo began to whine--i let off-the fish went under a guys boat in the middle of the river--i think my tippett hit the prop of the boat motor-it broke---the guy in the boat saw the fish --said it was a 9lb'ish brown--a classic case of being unprepared--told the story to Babb---said he knew a top taper for an 8 1/2ft 8wt--perfect for the Cumberland river---full wells grip--and he said it was not clubby--so maybe it is hollow--this was a long answer,that does not really answer your question,but when you lose a fish like that,and it is your own fault,then you have one of two choices--purge the experience on the Forum or stick needles in your eyes--
Old 03-04-2008, 08:39 AM

Sounds like you will receive a nice rod to handle those big-uns. Hope you get a couple of rods if you traded all those black beauties. As I said they are worth quite a bit depending on ferrule size.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:39 PM

The Black Beauties were popular because of the unusual finish. I think they struck a chord with some people. They're not a bad rod, but because of the name and the cosmetics they do sell well.

In any series of production rods the shorter rods will tend to sell quicker and at a better price, all things being equal, because there were relatively fewer of them made.

THE STANDARD bamboo rod in the old days was a 9 ft HDH, then a 9ft HCH, and then came the 8'6" rods. Well down the sales curve came the shorter lighter rods. In many cases they were the "nitch" for some of the smaller "local" makers. A particular favorite in the Catskills was an 8ft, 3pc, HEH size rod. These were used, in large part, by the local "experts" and when found today are generally fished to death. I've got a couple and they are just great for the GSMNP streams.

What you guys would call heavy 6wt and 7wt rods were VERY common in the old days and they were popular due to the fact that they would handle about anything around.... remember; Grandpa had one... maybe 2 on the outside... cane rods. Folks then just didn't have the disposable income around that we do today.

This will be a topic at the Bamboo Bash in Townsend.

Ralph

Last edited by czkid; 03-04-2008 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: spelling, phrasing