Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 02-08-2008, 12:08 AM

Default Caught my first White Bass

Tried my hand at something new today and caught my first white bass while fishing below an area dam. Things were otherwise slow but I saw a HUGE fish, probably a striper, rolling out in the current beyond casting range at one point.

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-08-2008, 02:07 PM

Cool fish! We used to catch them all the time in the rivers in Ohio when we were fishing for smallmouth. So, what type of setup do you use for this fishing, a larger rod and a sink tip? I think it sounds like a fun diversion during the winter.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:08 PM

Plateau,
Way to go! I've caught them on spinning gear but never on a fly rod before. sounds like a lot of fun.

Jeff
Old 02-08-2008, 04:14 PM

I'm currently using a 5wt rod which is definitely a little light for this type of fishing. Definitely makes tossing a heavily weighted streamer on a #4 hook an interesting proposition to say the least. If I ever actually hook a striper it will most likely not get landed... I'll probably be bringing a 6wt down from home which is the heaviest rod I currently own... Considering the various species that are present, I would probably recommend a 7 or 8 weight in case you hook something big... I've been needing an excuse for an 8 weight for awhile so maybe this is it.

Also, it has been pointed out to me that this may be a hybrid. I'm not confident enough identifying these fish where a slight variation means its a hybrid...anyone have any input about this Hybrid or not? From the research I've done, I still can't tell for sure and I'm curious if it is or isn't...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-09-2008, 02:07 PM

Default 6wt

Plateauangler, Nice bass. I fish some for white bass, hybrids, and hope for the occasional striper. I have been very pleased with my Sage FLI 6wt. It handles my needs very well. I can throw weighted clousers just fine. Sink-tip line can be a help at times. I've caught decent fish over 8lbs even a 15lb drum with no problem. I've got an 8wt and it wears me out. Unless you are consistently catching big fish, I would stick with the 6wt. Just my two cents. Monk
Old 02-09-2008, 08:24 PM

Good job David! I catch them alot at the steam plant here in kingston. I mostly fish a 6 wt launch and clousers from sz6 down to 10. No problems getting them out to about 70 feet with a double haul. Don't worry if you hook a striper on the 5 or 6. I caught a 20# carp the other day at Peach Orchard on the Clinch with a 4wt. It took a while to wear him down but i had a good drag. The drag will wear them down if you gradually tighten them up and just point the rod at the fish when they make a run. Just don't try to winch them with the rod held high.

aa
2Timothy2:15