Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 02-08-2008, 11:39 AM

Default Everglades and Charleston

Does anyone have any experience fishing the everglades and/or Charleston? In about a month I'll be staying in Marco Island for a week with some friends and I know it's right above the Everglades so I was thinking about doing some fishing. Anyone been before? How was it? Tarpon? This time of year? Also, I'll be going from there to Charleston for a wedding so I thought I might also wet a line during that weekend. Anyone know anything about Charleston? Redfish? Any info is appreciated. Thanks...
Old 02-13-2008, 04:45 PM

The Everglades is an unbelievable place. The spring can be a great time to visit. There should be snook, redfish and tarpon making their way along Gulf edges and laid up in secluded lakes and coves in the back country. If you can it would definitely benefit you to hire a good guide. The area is so vast that a novice will find themselves struggling to find fish.

As for Charleston, I am not sure what the fishing will be like. A lot of the redfishing that I have heard about in that area is done on the summer new and full moons where the redfish will push way up into the spartina grass searching for crabs. I think that Byron and Paula have had success fishing around Hilton Head in the spring.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Drew Delashmit
Old 02-14-2008, 01:29 AM

Default OMG...there's truth to what he said!

Reccomendation here! Seeing as I've been there done that...Unless you plan on staying for quite some time don't buy a rod! If you do buy a rod don't buy anything over an 8 wieght 9 tops, and don't plan on fishing for Tarpon with it! Unless you have money to burn and wish to retire your goodies to Drew, just flat out don't buy a rod! Little River would love you for it but it won't be worth it in the end...

~Brett