Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 02-08-2008, 07:16 PM

Default 1st fly rod stripper

Had a day off from school on Tuesday for super tuesday or something. Anyways we decided to go the steam plant in Cumberland city. The weather was suppose to be warm but a chance of bad storms. But we took the chance at going fishin because baseball starts up next week. We got there and it was a bit windy but a comfortable 60 something degrees. We fished awhile of course with the fly rods but nothing. So we went to the other side. It took awhile to find a good pattern. it ended up being a blue mylar minnow dropping a chartruese streamer. A couple casts later i hooked up with nice fighting fish, I thought it was another 3lb skipjack. But when it surfaced it was a small stripper. My first ever true bass. We went on and caught close if not over 100 skipjack. Some where in the 2-3lb range, we did remember to boga them. It was the best day we have ever had at the steam plant. A LOT OF FUN.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:47 PM

Default skipjack

So all our Chattanooga skipjack are in New Johnsonville?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:59 PM

im not sure where that is but there were skipjack everywhere. We filled this guys 4 gallon bucket 5 times. Every cast you get a hit. I actually caught two fish on two flies at a time, they felt huge but were normal. The funny thing was the 10-15 other people there hardly got a bite.
Is that the steam plant that is only accessibleby boat?
tight lines
Old 02-09-2008, 01:55 PM

Default Cumberland

My fault Tater. I thought Cumberland was at New Johnsonville. Where is Cumberland? We had lots of good size skipjacks below Chickamauga dam. Recently I went without a hit. Thought they may have all migrated your way. Actually it's a little early for the skipjacks below Chickamauga. Obviously they like the steam heating up your way. Enjoy your pics. Monktrout
Old 02-22-2008, 07:00 PM

Default sorry im late

I'm sorry for getting back to you so late I've been caught up in baseball and school. But Cumberland City is about 20 some odd miles west of Clarksville through the small city of Palmyra. Yeah i'm not sure if they skippies are all at cumberland but there is a bunch of them or we just hit it right with the right patterns. Those guys are a lot of fun on a fly rod.
sorry again
tight lines