Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 02-11-2008, 08:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default letort, boiling springs, big springs.

i went to college just outside of Harrisburg, and believe it or not i spent more time on those streams than in any lecture hall... The yellow breeches sure is an intersting stream... The cold water comes out of boiling springs lake, and where it meets into the yellow breeches it dividies the creek in half. The far side is gin clear and cold even in the dog days of summer, where as the near side is just a normal creek, and not overly clear. What's really interesting is how the fish move from side to side. In Ausgust don't even bother with the non spring fed side, there isnt anything but sucers and chub on the warm side. It is also the same in the winter the fish move back to the clear spring side again for the now warmer water. There's really only a few months where the trout spread out throughout the entire stream.
But if any of you guys decide to fish up through central PA, and happen to get tired of the crouds on the yellow breeches, big springs, andf the letort ( by the way yellew breeches often has an angler every 50 feet or so), try some of the smaller streams like clarks creek, manada creek, and a beautiful slow spring creek called the quittapahilla. Thery all fish great, have wild fish, and very seldom do they ever get crouded...
Old 02-12-2008, 02:58 AM

I made a trip to boiling springs for the past 3 years. man, I love it! this year, I think I'll try some of those other streams out.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:11 AM

Well when you get ready to go post about the trip. I would gladly give you directions to some out of the way streams. What time of year do you go?? I know when I lived up there april and may were hard to beat.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:02 AM

I've been going early fall. been dying to get up there soon though, so may have to try it out in april. when does the fishing get going up there? april? I considered taking a trip in march for my spring break, but I'm afraid that would be too early, too cold. any thoughts about that? I want those fish to be stacked up in "the run" there.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:09 AM

Default Boiling Springs area

Just want to let you guys know that I am following your posts. I am planning on making a trip this year to the Boiling Springs area. I have never been there so I would love to have any information you can give me. I would be especially grateful to learn about some lesser known streams that don't get as much pressure.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 02-12-2008, 09:02 PM

well march would be too early for one reason. in march you can only fish delayed harvest an nbo kill areas. you are cutting iut some awesome streams. as for my experiance in the "run" the fish are always stacked. however if you fish the slow water 250 yards below the run with a size 24 olive midge, unless the tricos are around and then switch to black i garuntee you will catch more fish....bigger ones too. also people up there have just recently caught onto the zebra midge...make sure to take plenty, in a size 18 or better yet a 20. man i miss the yellow breeches.... people dont realize how many fish are up there, and how big the avwerage size is. its worth the crowds.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:26 PM

Default Pa

Fished that area a few years ago. Is there a more technical, difficult, challenging stream than the Letort? If you can catch fish in the Letort You are a fly fisher I want to listen to! Lots of great water in central PA.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:14 PM

I do agree that the letort is a challenge, however, I have also noticed that on all of those spring creeks it is amazing how many can still be caught on a good ole crow beetle... I know they're a bit old school with the new foam beetles and all, however they always worked for me up there. A size 18 crow beetle, and alot of 8x usually turned a day of nothing into a decent day for me. Especially in the spring and early summer when no one seems to fish terrestials that often. What else amazes me on that stream is how quick the stocked fish get smart. Do they just stock picky fish in there or what? Is there some secret hatchery in PA somewhere where they breed nothing but "picky if its not a midge the size of nothing i wont eat it trout"...
Old 02-13-2008, 02:58 AM

I've never actually fished the letort. I've looked at it everytime I've been up there, but for some reason, I just can't even bring myself to even try it. I think it has something to do with not even being able to see any fish in that slowwww clear water. and the swamp like conditions make it hard to even get into good position. but those fish (letort) are probably so picky given the water conditions. they can see everything in detail, and have a long time to inspect.

the fish on the yellow breeches are obviously picky due to getting pounded from sunup to sundown by anglers. I've seen people fishing that run 10-15ft from each other, down both sides of the banks.

I fish the crow beetle on the yellow breeches most of the time. it has so far, been the most effective fly I've found during the times I've been there.

I absolutely love "the run". It's not very secluded, and sort of artificial, but I get a kick out of sight fishing to those trout. I have fished pretty far below there as well and did excellent.