Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-12-2008, 04:23 PM

Exclamation Where to go?

My family and I are coming to pigeon forge for vacation the 1st of March and i would like to do some trout fishing. I guess shopping isn't my idea of a great vacation, my wife would beg to differ. we visit the area at least 2-3 sometimes 4 times a year, so i would like to take up trout fishing while i'm there. anyone have a place in mind that i could go in close vacinity to pigeon forge & gatlinburg, also i may have my grandfather or mabe even the whole family with me if there is something for them to do close by, so minimal difficulty getting to a spot would be great. thanks for your help
Old 02-12-2008, 05:08 PM

lots of places to go FF'ing in that area but I will let the others give you that advise....I just wanted to let you know that if you take up FF'ing you won't have to worry much about your wife's shopping habits as this addiction has a way of draining a checking account .......I would suggest you not let her know the cost of FF'ing until she sees how happy it makes you ......

Seriously....if you take up FF'ing, welcome to the addiction......it is a wonderful form of relaxation (if you stay out of the trees) and I would highly recommend a trip to Little River Outfitters in Townsend while you are in the area....great shop / no pressure sales / exellent information and conversation..

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 02-12-2008, 08:24 PM

IB,

Let me add one suggestion to buckeye's; if you are up here 3-4 times in a year, make it part of your schedule early on to take the beginners fly fishing course at LRO. It will teach you the basics in a classroom/backyard environment and then take you up on a stream in the Smokies to actually apply what you've learned with excellent instruction in both settings. That will get you started and you will definitely have plans for every other time you visit. The folks at LRO can also point you to convenient spots to fish that are just a hop, skip and jump from Pigeon Forge.

Be prepared to get hooked. I mean, not actually, physically hooked; though you'll probably do that, too. But you know what I mean.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 02-12-2008, 09:07 PM

I second (or third) the above sentiments...as far as actual spots to fish convenient to the Corridor of **** (er, I mean the Pigeon Forge-G'burg corridor ), the West Prong of the Little Pigeon is right there along the road. I've been intrigued by what I've read here about Roaring Fork - I would like to explore that stream myself. There are a number of other streams a little further down the road. I would suggest getting a good park map - the National Geographic map (LRO has them) seems to be one of the better ones. A lot will depend on the weather - it might be balmy, or it might be icy, and that will dictate where you should fish - the warmer it is, the higher up you can go.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:46 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the help and advice, hey ijsouth, i notice the saints logo on your post. you from louisiana?

thanks again everyone..........
Old 02-21-2008, 10:16 AM

Default Where to fish??

For the moment, I'm going to call you IB because of your monicker. I love the fly in your avitar, so I'm going to recommend that you buy a few like that from LRO's, and when you make that trip to Pigeon Forge- Gatlinburg, just drive up to the end of town, (at the Park boundary). Get out and walk up the Gatlinburg Trail for a short distance and you'll see spots that people have worn down getting to the creek that runs along side of the trail. If you can spend a day with LRO and get some casting instructions to go with it, you will have a good time and not be very far away from the family. They can even walk or drive just back down the street and have a fun day while your spending some time on the stream. When the day is over, you'll have just as many memories as they will have and you won't have to spend a day of driving or be uncomfortable doing something that is not a man thing. After a few times on the water, I'd like to see you change your moniker to "Iamfishing".
Hugh

Last edited by Hugh Hartsell; 02-21-2008 at 12:10 PM..
Old 02-21-2008, 12:55 PM

Just like the old Doug Kershaw song..."settin' traps in the swamp, catching anything he can...gotta make a livin' he's a Looziana man". But, as you can see, I have a (small) claim to semi-native Tennessee status, having bought property in Cosby. Hope your trip goes well.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:12 AM

just wanted to add my texas two cents, your first stop SHOULD BE .... LRO .... GREAT PEOPLE! lots of GREAT ADVICE!
Old 02-22-2008, 12:45 AM

Default Looziana man

Thats cool. i'm a looziana man myself, born and raised in jena between alexandria and monroe, but.......... "my home's in alabama"........... thanks for the two cents, i will plan on stopping there on my way in. oh yeah, Geaux Tigers!!!!!