Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 02-12-2008, 07:39 PM

Default Indicators

I had some trouble today with my yarn indicator. It seemed after three casts it would become waterlogged and go under the surface where I could not see it anymore which kind of defeats the purpose of an indicator. Does anyone have any tips on keeping the yarn indicator afloat, and does anyone out there use a cork indicator which I hear can be effective. Thanks for any help I can get.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:05 PM

Default Yarn Indicator

You might try water shed or maybe give the new thingamabobbers a try. LRO has them I believe. I plan to give them a try.

Hal
Old 02-12-2008, 08:18 PM

I put Gink on mine and it works!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:46 PM

Default The best way to keep

...it dry is to leave it in the package and use a dry with a dropper. I have used several different indicators over the years but since learning to fish tandem or dry dropper rigs I seldom ever use any other kind of indicator.

Early on I noticed when using indicators that fish would often hit the indicator before touching the nymph I was fishing under it. In fishing a dry with a nymph or soft hackle dropper, I have also noticed fish that would key in on the dry only to take the nymph. It was as if the dry would attract them and the nymph appeared to be too easy and thus irresistible, so they just couldn't pass it up.

I have also seen what appears to be the reverse while fishing such rigs. Early on they would go for the nymph only for a hatch to start and then they would start slamming the dry I was using for an attractor or indicator.

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 02-12-2008, 10:50 PM

Default Thingamabobber

If a dry/dropper rig doesn't work in your situation, I second the thingamabobber. They are scheduled to release a new 1/2" version in the coming months. My stand-by when I have that problem is a water balloon inflated to about 1/2" diameter. It works great and never goes under, even in rough water.

Travis
Old 02-13-2008, 08:12 AM

Yarn rocks, it is the most sensitive indicator i have used, even the best brand will have a tendency to sink after a few trips.
I treat mine with a flotant(liquid) right out of the package, if it sinks during use, i may treat it with a dry fly flotant onstream, more than likely, i'll put a new piece on.
Dry flies are fun to, they are a pain if you're fishing more than 2' deep though

Grumpy
Old 02-13-2008, 12:03 PM

I am under the impression that there is not an over all perfect indicator.

All styles and brands have a time and place where they are the best for the situation.

Dry flies work well because they do not look like typical indicators and can even match a hatch. This can be very important when fishing over fish that see a lot of indicators (such as the Clinch). The downslide to dry fly indicators is that they are not adjustable at all without re-rigging, and they will not float heavy nymphs, especially in heavier water.

Yarn, like grumpy said is the most sensitive to light takes, plus it lands softly on the water. Available in a lot of color options. They are not easily adjustable. Yes you can adjust them but it's a little more time consuming. Yarn also has a hard time floating heavier nymph rigs. They also require a little attention to keep them floating high. As mentioned, typical dry fly floatant will work fine.

Palsa, Stick ons are also available in a lot of colors. They are handy for quick indicator add ons, float well with moderate weight. They are not adjustable at all and they tend to leave a residue on your leader if your not real careful removing them. They also land lightly on the water.

Foam. Foam indicators are available in a large assortment of styles, sizes, and colors. My personal favorite are the lighting strikes with toothpick pegs. They are easily adjustable, which makes it easy for driftboat fishing where the riverbed and depth are constantly changing. They float very well, and in larger sizes can suspend very heavy tungsten rigs in very heavy white water. The downside is that they are tougher to cast, and they also do not allow stealthy casting as they often hit the water with a splash.

These are just a few options and others might have very different opinions on this. But like I said, IMHO, I feel there are no perfect strike indicators, but all can be perfect for the situation at hand.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:50 PM

I agree with Rocky.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:44 PM

This is why I love the sport of fly fishing! It can be so complex, yet at the same time there are many different combinations that can work in different situations. I think I may give those thingmabobbers a chance. They appear though they may a little big (size) because they may spook the fish.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:29 PM

A great read is "Fly Fishing Through a Mid-life Crisis"...in this book one of the author's sons approaches him after fishing for trout using indicators and asked his dad why this wasn't the same thing as fishing with bait using a bobber....