Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 02-13-2008, 07:02 PM

Fly-fishing through the midlife crisis is a great book. Its in my dorm room now. I recommend it for a simple casual reade.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:25 PM

My personal favorite is the turn on indicators they are easy to see, the easiest to adjust, come in many varieties, and they float most anything. Only down side is five bucks or so for four of them. You can get small and sensitive or big and strong.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:00 PM

Default Palsa's can be adjusted

Rocky -- I have found that Palsa's can be adjusted "up the leader" but not down. Palsa's are one of the few indicators I now use because of the ease of casting, and up-the-leader adjustability. Just don't try moving it down the last 2-3' of leader -- they'll slip almost every time if there's not a connecting knot to stop them!

Phil
Old 02-19-2008, 06:31 PM

Hey there Phil,

How have you been? Enjoy the hoops season I hope. Nice to hear from you again. We missed you at the frostbite.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:13 PM

I gink my "lightning strike" yarn right out of the container as well. It is hard to beat when fishing BH midge pupa. You can make your own wire eye yarn indies for easier adustment. Use a piece of med ultra wire and twist the yarn in a piesce of wire about 2" long when folded in two. Clamp the ends in your tying viceand twist. Reset in vice so that the yarn is butted up against the ends of the jaws. Attach tying thread and lash down, making a few fig 8 wraps around the yarn, then back down to the eye you have formed. Whip finnish, zap the wraps, and then clip off the excess twisted wire btween the yarn ends. Tease out the yarn fibers and trim as needed. Now you can slip a tiny loop of leader through the 'eye' of the indy, then loop over the whole thing to secure. If it slides you can do another lopping. Chances are it won't slid past your terminal tippet knot so you can plan to use it as a slide stopper.

Good luck

aa
2Timothy2:15
Old 02-20-2008, 05:12 PM

Regarding the yarn style, I have had great luck using Frog's Fanny, being very thorough to work it through the fibers. That stuff is outstanding IMHO. Works great on dries and puts a bubble sheath on nymphs. I think they carry it at LRO. I met the owner of the company at a fly show one time. Great guy to chat with. Those kind of folks always get my dollars.

I just saw something in a catalogue from The Fly Shop in Redding, CA. It was some type of powder floatant in a little can that you could put your yarn indicators in and store them. Take them out, blow them off, and supposedly they would float all day.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 PM

Hey, Rocky! Would have liked to make it to the Frostbite! I understand you guys had another great trip -- even got in some fishing?

Phil