Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 02-24-2008, 12:05 PM

Sad news in today's Knoxville News-Sentinel that the Creel in Knoxville is closing at the end of March. This shop has been around for a long time. Scott Rogers the owner listed some of the problems that the shop has faced as the "Big Box Stores'" and the big name brands allowing them to sell their gear.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnernie View Post
Sad news in today's Knoxville News-Sentinel that the Creel in Knoxville is closing at the end of March. This shop has been around for a long time. Scott Rogers the owner listed some of the problems that the shop has faced as the "Big Box Stores'" and the big name brands allowing them to sell their gear.
Read the LRO fishing report today,02/24/2008. The Creel was a "ripe apple" in my opinion. It's sad to see an independently owned business go out but it also opens an opportunity for a more progressive business to enter the market. I am hoping that we see a positive change to the Knoxville fly fishing retail business.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:09 PM

Owning a business is hard work. Managing a successful business is even harder work. I think a lot of shops close because the owner had no idea how much work it was going to be. It isn't all just sitting around talking fishing. Another thing, it takes a certain personalty type. I've been in shops (gun shops, fly shops, guitar stores) where the owners were surly and couldn't care less if you came back or not. Many of those stores only last a couple years.

Byron has no illusions about how much work this is and he's successful. Byron has leveraged the power of the internet to expand his customer base beyond Townsend and the GSMP. Byron is a smart business man.

I think the bottom line of why a lot of shops close is the owners were much better fishermen than they were businessmen.

Jeff
Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMontanaAlum View Post
Read the LRO fishing report today,02/24/2008. The Creel was a "ripe apple" in my opinion. It's sad to see an independently owned business go out but it also opens an opportunity for a more progressive business to enter the market. I am hoping that we see a positive change to the Knoxville fly fishing retail business.
Did you take any time to hang out at the Creel?
The Creel was a great shop, if you took some time to hang out you could get a lot of info about fishing anywhere. I shop at both LRO and the Creel, and I don't see how anyone could do better than Scott.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyfisher View Post
Did you take any time to hang out at the Creel?
The Creel was a great shop, if you took some time to hang out you could get a lot of info about fishing anywhere. I shop at both LRO and the Creel, and I don't see how anyone could do better than Scott.
Yes, several times. And I never had a good experience. But that was not my point.

I agree with jeffnles1. It takes more than a fly fisherman to run a fly shop.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:09 PM

i hate you had a bad experence with the creel , scott is a great guy some time personalitys clash. not many fly shops are having a easy go at this time.
every maker wants more sku out the door if its not your door it's next door. the biggest whore in the business ,orvis they will open a store next door and put catalogs in your store so they can sale your client their product direct. and come out with the latest and greatest and drop in 3to5 yrs. the ones who caused this crazy life time warranty and prices to go out the roof on rods.before top rods were $300. just how many rods can one afford at $775.
rods companys need to help out with mid price quality rods.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:49 PM

It made me sick when I read the article on Sunday. I was just in the shop and talked with Scott last week. For over 10 years I've enjoyed visiting and being greeted by Sadie at the door, and made to feel at home by the staff. I try to support all the local "fly shops" and hate to see another close the doors. The Creel and all the staff will be missed by the Knoxville area FF community. I wish Scott and his family all the best.
I think I'll call him tomorrow and tell him myself. He's good people.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Scott and everyone who works at The Creel are our friends. Byron and I are torn up about it. I never want to see anyone have a dream end...and I am crushed to see another fly shop close, especially, another one, owned by a friend.

Paula
Old 02-26-2008, 01:52 PM

this is sad. although I didn't visit the creel very often, I did buy my first fly rod there back when I didn't have a clue what I was doing. Scott took me out in the parking lot, right by the Arby's drive-thru, and taught me how to cast.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

I only went to the Creel maybe five or six times. This was really because LRO and others are closer to me (not the only reason, of course, but a big one). But I can say this: without a doubt one of the classiest places I've ever visited. Scott was so nice and helpful, always ready to kid around and just talk. I'll miss them, wish I would have gotten to know them better!