Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 02-29-2008, 08:36 AM

Default Why fly shops close

When I first went into the Creel nearly twenty years ago it was jammed into a tiny space with poor lighting, orange shag carpet, and maybe ten rods on the wall. Scott took over and made it into a very good fly shop and for the first time in it's history, a successful business, and he ran it that way for over a decade. That is something to be proud of. Scott is probably the only person who knows the real reasons it will be closing, for my part, it doesn't really matter. All I know is I will miss The Creel a great deal, and so will a lot of other people who may or may not know it yet. It will be like saying goodbye to an old friend. The rate fly shops and all outdoor specialty stores are closing is alarming. Everyone is right to be concerned about our children. One day when the constant barrage of text messaging, myspace, and internet surfing is not enough and they turn back to the outdoors to find solace, I can only hope there will be someone left to teach them. There are no easy answers or quick fixes, we can only do our best. And I think Scott Rogers did his.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:22 AM

Scott and Jeff, If you guys happen to read this post, I really liked the Creel. Bought my first FF outfit there and many, many tailwater flies afterwards. The tips they gave me on when/where/why/how almost always resulted in more fish than I'd have caught otherwise. Thanks for the service over the years!

I agree with all of the prior posters, lets not let this happen to LRO. I'm going to try to make a commitment to buying all of my FF stuff from them (online or in store)!
Old 02-29-2008, 07:48 PM

Mike,

You speak the truth and you speak it well. I remember when I met you. I was in a fly shop in Gatlinburg maybe 25 years ago. I may be wrong about the time, the years have flown by. Let me know how long it has been. You were sitting behind the counter and you showed me a bamboo rod that you had just made. It was beautiful. Paula and I both have enjoyed your friendship for a long time. Of course Bob is a favorite too. Scott told me the other day we should rent a house and make 200 keys. I told him to count us in. We'll pay our part. The house should be on a river though.

Your Friend,

Byron
Old 03-03-2008, 12:52 AM

Default Creel Closing

I have to say that I felt like I had lost a friend. Scott and his crew were always helpful to me. I caught my first nice trout on a Sulphur on the Clinch with Scott's advice. He also did anything he could for our TU chapter. I stopped by Friday and felt like I was going to visitation, same pit in my stomach.... Can't recall ever feeling a sense of loss at a business going out. I wish the best to Scott, Jeff and Chelsea. Still hope to get Scott out fishing one of these days.
Best,
John
Old 03-07-2008, 11:12 AM

I know I'm coming in late on this threat, but couldn't help but to write about my disappointment over the closure of The Creel. I know that LRO & The Creel may be "competitors", but the fact that a local privately owned shop is closing up is sad news.

I started fly fishing about 3 years ago. I got outfitted at The Creel, and I immediately liked Scott and Jeff. They were friendly, helpful, and their local knowledge was invaluable. It's a reason I kept going back, and would even stop by when I was over that way just to talk.

I love to travel, and if they didn't already know about the area I was headed, they would tell me what shop and who to talk to. Stopping by a local fly-shop, chatting with the folks, learning a thing or two, and buying some flies is all part of a great travel experience. I get the same when I make the trek to the mountains and visit LRO.

LRO has adapted well to the changing business climate, but I hope people don't give up on their local shops. Small business is one truly great thing about our country, and I will drive out of my way and pay a little bit more if thats what it takes to preserve these great institutions.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:37 PM

Default The Creel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
I remember the first time I walked into the Creel. I lived in Nashville at the time. Don waited on me. He was a nice guy. Scott bought the shop, Don was there, Will Littlejohn, then Jim and Jim, Mike and all the other staff that I got to know over the years. Scott and I became friends even though we were actually competitors. I don't think he or I looked at it that way. The Creel was doing well and we were doing well. Before Maryville got an Office Depot I would stop in the Creel and see everyone maybe twice a month and sit in those chairs and pet on Sadie. I talked to Scott this morning and it made me feel better. He sounded good. But I am sad for them and some other friends who have closed their shops. I am also sad for the Creel customers. There is going to be a void that can't be filled. It just doesn't seem right. But I can tell you this and Scott will back me up, when those big stores opened we knew it. It hurt us a lot. I was scared to death. And I am not over it yet.

Byron

Byron,
You are taking me on a walk down memory lane. You are throwing out some names I haven't heard in a while. Scott and John Emert gave me a shot at tying flies for the shop at the ripe old age of 13 and I have been thankful ever since. I have been out of state for most of this month, but when I heard they were closing I had to make a special trip back to see Scott one more time before he closed the doors one last time. I will miss stopping by there to chat about recent fishing trips.

I really think that one place where The Creel missed out is capturing the internet shoppers like you have done. We have become a society of convenience and we feel like it is additional work to pick up a phone to order something when you can just click a button and it is on its way.

Travis
Old 03-11-2008, 06:23 PM

Travis,

I moved here in 1991. I was asked by the State Council of Trout Unlimited to form a new Chapter to work specifically with the Park Service. They gave me a list of names of members in Blount County. There were not many back then. John Emert was on that list. I was looking for something to do and missed being in business. I contacted John and asked for a meeting. This was before we bought LRO and before Paula and I were married. I’m also pretty sure this was before Scott was working at the Creel. I told John I wanted to buy the Creel. He didn’t take me too seriously at the time and he turned me down. He probably thought I couldn’t afford it. I bet I was wearing blue jeans, a T-shirt and driving my old Chevy pickup truck.

Since then John and I have become close friends. He spent the night in a condo with me and some of my buddies last year in Florida on a tarpon trip. Paula and I occasionally go out to dinner with John and Sonya. John is also my dentist so I see him every three months in his office. He is a customer here in the shop. He is a great guy.

Every once in a while we joke about me trying to buy the Creel. I always say that I’m glad he turned me down. I would be driving to Knoxville and back every day if we had made a deal. My commute now is about 5 minutes.

I don’t think many people know this story. It’s funny how things turn out in life.

Byron
Old 03-11-2008, 06:56 PM

John Emert, brother of Joe?

If it's the same guys, their grandparents, Rollo and Ruth Emert, were old friends of our family from the Campground Methodist Church there in Townsend and owners of what was once a little red log cabin just beyond the church towards LRO. Ruth played organ from time to time at the church, always with great gusto.

Turns out a guy that I worked with in Oak Ridge, Jim Calfee, bought the Emert's place and turned it into a BIG red cabin - small world.

The Emerts were good folks.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 03-11-2008, 07:00 PM

Charlie,

Same guys. They are all nice people. Easy to be friends with.

Byron