Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-14-2008, 12:40 PM

Default Favorite books

I also love Trout Bum, even though I'm not fond of most of the other books by John Gierach. But one of my recent favorites is A Fly Fisherman's Blue Ridge by Christopher Camuto. His writing is absolutely fabulous.

A recent publication that I also really like is Trout Hunter by Rene Harrop. It is not really a how-to, and not really a muse, but it has some great information and some great writing. If you have fished the Henry's Fork it will have a special meaning to you.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:42 PM

Doghaircaddis,

John and Jim Babb were here in May. They fished with Walter and stayed at his cabin near Green Cove. I got an e-mail from Jim a couple of days ago. He told me about upcoming articles about the trip. You can read about Tellico Pubs by Gierach in the April Fly Rod and Reel Magazine. Jim wrote about the trip and it will appear in the May edition of Grays Sporting Journal. Jim is the editor of Grays. Jim advised me to stock up on Specks and Tellico nymphs.

Byron
Old 02-14-2008, 12:54 PM

Good books to read

Travers Corners
Return to Travers Corners
Travers Corners Final Chapter (All by Scott Waldie)
Big Indian Creek (Dave Hughes)
Trout from Small Streams (Dave Hughes)
Fly Fishing Small Streams (Gierach)
A Wisp in the Wind (Jerry Kustich)
Casting a Spell (George Black)
At the Rivers Edge (Jerry Kustich)
Royal Coachman (Paul Schullery)
Fly Fisherman's Blue Ridge (Chris Camuto)
Hunting from Home (Chris Camuto)

Backcountry fisherpeople will really like Big Indian Creek and Fly Fisherman's Blue Ridge.
Bamboo people will really like A Wisp in the Wind and Casting a Spell
Travers Corners is light reading about flyfishing with great characters and an interesting story line.
Hunting from home is really not about hunting but a book about a way of life in the outdoors by a fantastic author.
Flyfishing small streams is a very informative book written in Gierach style that translates well to the Smokies

Enjoy
Old 02-14-2008, 01:10 PM

I would add to the many great titles already listed the following....

"Upland Stream: Notes On The Fishing Passion" by W. D. Wetherell
"The Longest Silence: A Life In Fishing" by Thomas McGuane
"Fly Fishing Through the Midlife Crisis" by Howell Raines
Old 02-14-2008, 02:03 PM

Anything by Gierach is great. I keep a copy of Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders next to the throne in the master bath. Its a compilation of stories from Trout Bum, Even Brook Trout Get the Blues, Standing in a River Waving a Stick, and others. Each story is worthy of being read several times, and they are just short enough that I can usually get up before my legs fall asleep.
As a kid in Montana, we had an old copy of Norman MacClean's A River Runs Though It And Other Stories on the shelf next to the fire place. I loved the title story, of course, but the other that sticks out in my memory is Logging, Pimping, and My Pal Jim. It's not about flyfishing, but it is the kind of story most flyfisherman like to read. It's got mountains, woods, rough characters, and a sense of humor.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:19 PM

I will have to echo Brian on both counts. I love Gierach books and Tout Bum is a great starter. You can turn to any chapter and start reading. I was thinking while reading the earlier posts about the "Other Stories" that follow A River Runs Through It and how I associeate them with fly fishing stories. I love USFS 1919: The Ranger, The Cook, and the Hole in the Sky. A book that I recently finished is Our Southern Highlanders by Horace Kephart. It is strange to me to read a description of a place I know from 100 years ago. Any Thoughts?

This is a great topic. The next best thing to fishing is reading about it!!
Old 02-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Administrator

I love Gierach and Babb also...anything and everything they write.

Howell Raines' book, Flyfishing Through a Midlife Crisis, is great.

I'll add one, from a different perspective. Little Rivers, by Margot Page. Yes, she's a woman, but this is skillfully written. From the forward by Nick Lyons:

Quote:
Little Rivers chronicles a woman's evolution from reluctant student to passionate angler and her adoption of this traditionally male sport as her own. But it is also much more than that.
It's a lovely little book with a lot of insight about the beauty of this sport we love.

Paula
Old 02-14-2008, 09:09 PM

can't help but pitch in with another one: Joe and Me by James Prosek
Old 02-14-2008, 11:25 PM

Thanks for all the responses, never thought this topic would take off so fast. I may pick up the Trout Bum tomorrow if I get time to stop by the local fly shop.

Keep em comin! I'll compile myself a list!

....how about something geared straight towards small mouth fishing? I know most folks here chase trout mostly as do I but I love them smallmouth My local shop has that Clouser book about smallmouths autographed as well.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:38 AM

Early Love and Brook Trout by James Prosek is another good one. I like all of Gierach's books and loved the Travers Corner books. Recently reading some of William G. Tapply's books. Also working on The Longest Silence. For laugh out loud Patrick Mcmanus is a must!