Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-16-2008, 12:58 PM

Default Books

Sylvester Nemes' Soft Hackle trilogy for the SH crowd. The River Why? Dark Waters by Russell Chatam-excellent. Jim Harrisons' A Good Day to Die-funny and dark. Dave Hughes' Wet Flies. Old Man and the Sea, because I'm getting old and the book is so great.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:33 AM

Thumbs up THE "BOOK"...Yep, I'm gonna go there!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauxier View Post
--We have been "A River Runs Through It" to death-but it is a good story,distorted somewhat by Redford's excellent movie.
Lauxier, I agree with you totally..."The Book" is a great Story the Movie WAS excellent...and I get aggrevated each and every time I see proponents of Fly-Fishing on other boards, and in print, gripe about what it did to this sport. I think most would be better served by examining what it has done for this sport...
I freely admit that I didn't grow up flyfishing...not too many trout in South Alabama in the 70's and 80's or Fly Rods for that matter...and yes I will admit being all caught up in the Movie and then the book, and yes..then the sport.
But the important part is that involvement in the sport came to me, and it has enriched my life through it's process, practice, mystique, and tradition.
Many who crtiticize the Movie, are the same people who complain that our children are too caught up in video games, and that the industry has suffered of late from lack of interest...yes there were people who got caught up in the esoteric aspect of FlyFishing and showed up on the streams and rivers outfitted in their finest Orvis gear, with backcasts more suited to the bull whip than the flyrod...never to step in the water again. But look what it did for the people who stuck with it...yep that's me.
The cast is still not beautiful, and I may be embarrassed about it in the prescence of others...but the last trout I caught with it was every bit as exciting as the first, as will be the next...should there never be another...there was always the river.

I, for one, am glad that life imitates art sometimes.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:20 AM

I am SO glad you all got this thread going. As a newcomer to fly fishing, I am tickled to death to have all these wonderful suggestions of books related to this awesome sport. I have ordered "On the Spine of Time" and plan to get several more as I go along. I'm looking forward to reading it and many many more.

BTW.. I have never read the book "A River Runs Though it" nor have I seen the movie. So it is ALL brand new to me.

- Herbert Hoover, devoted angler and thirty-first President of the United States.

Last edited by fishNlady; 02-18-2008 at 10:43 AM..
Old 02-18-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishNlady View Post
I am SO glad you all got this thread going. As a newcomer to fly fishing, I am ticked to death to have all these wonderful suggestions of books related to this awesome sport. I have ordered "On the Spine of Time" and plan to get several more as I go along. I'm looking forward to reading it and many many more.

BTW.. I have never read the book "A River Runs Though it" nor have I seen the movie. So it is ALL brand new to me.
you owe it to yourself to watch the movie at least...it's a great film IMO. Not all about fishing...more to the story line...but it really is a good movie.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:44 AM

I plan to order the DVD soon. I have heard about this movie before but just never took the time to watch. Now I will make time.

- Herbert Hoover, devoted angler and thirty-first President of the United States.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:24 PM

Thumbs up Great Idea FishNLady!

Sorry to tell you...but "River Runs Thru" was just on Turner Classic Movies TCM last night. That is actually what got me so fired up to rant about it in my last post. I love the movie, my wife does too (though I suspect it's for TOTALLY different reasons...Brad Pitt and all )
I do however feel compelled to warn you that it has a rather sad aspect...chokes me up every time...who says men aren't sensitive and romantic?

As to "On the Spine of Time"...I think you'll love it, I just discovered it myself from hearing about it here. Check out some of the other threads about Middleton posted by Monk, Laux, myself, and others they will provide an interesting perspective on Middleton that greatly enhances the read....GREAT book! The first chapter is a little heady, but after you get past that it reads like water gently running down the mountain side...I look forward to your opinions...enjoy!
Old 02-19-2008, 03:51 AM

Middleton's --- Spine of Time
Kephart's--- Our Southern Highlanders
The second is not so much fly fishing but a great read in understanding the heritage.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:40 AM

Default 153 fish!?

Great thread...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that great fishing classic, the Gospel of John. In chapter 21 the boys are bummin' because their buddy is not hanging out with them anymore, so Peter says, "I don't know about you guys, but hey, I'm going fishing". They all jump in the boat and before you know it their fishing buddy is on the shore cooking them breakfast and there are 153 fish in their net! Then they just hang out around the fire talking about old times. What a day!

... my personal favorite.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:58 AM

In addition to the many fine books already listed I would add anything by Joseph Heywood. He wrote a series of fiction books that are based in the UP of Michigan. Not alot of philosophy going on, just some fun reading with fishing, hunting, etc.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 02-19-2008, 11:01 AM

Can't remember if this one has been mentioned....not a fishing book per se...but for anyone that frequents and fishes the waters of the Little River try "The Last Train to Elkmont"...this tells the story of the lumber company that cut this side of the mountains....some amazing information about Tremont and Elkmont in here and how far back into these mountains people lived....those of you who fish above the Cascades of Tremont probably know about the last vestages of a splash dam in the river....reading about how these dams were made and used will give you some appreciation of what was once done on this waterway....