Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-19-2008, 11:48 AM

Thumbs up Good Read

I recently picked up a little paperback at a book sale called "The Curtis Creek Manifesto". It has a great deal of drawings in it, which is more my speed.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:37 PM

Default fishnlady

the guy who owned sage rod co. said " the evolution of fly fishing falls into 2 distinct periods--before "a river runs.... and after "a river runs..."the movie.The movie accomplished it's mission---Redford made a lot of bucks--the movie charged an ailing industry--sales of tackle and clothing etc went throught the roof---streams were jammed with Orvis poster boys for a day or two--(exactly as Plunker wrote)---wwhen the smoke cleared--the streams still flow as before---folks who fly fish do it cause they like it,99% of those who were drawn to streams because of the pathos of a film are no longer fishing because 1)the pathos passes2)fly fishing is hard to learn and extremely complicated in the beginning.The fly fishing industry got a real boost,the added revenues tempted the industry into research and development,the sport could afford to become high-tech with vast improvments to everything from waders to rods to zingers to reels to videos on and on.That's what Redford and his film did for flyfishing and for fly fishing folks---So watch the movie--it is a dandy---and when the final credits flash before you,be advised the power of imagry is awesome and the sport of flyfishing has been bettered by it.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:04 PM

Default possible bad,ill effects of the film "river runs through.."

Fishing metcalfe bottoms with grandson---not far from the bridge---2 girls stop on the bridge to watch us fish----my grandson says"watch this"watch me Brad Pitt these chicks"----wades to center of stream----makes about 10 false casts,with drama,finally lets dry fly land on water---pulls it out of water again---10 more false casts--it was just about more than I could take--realized the long term effects of "a river runs.."are indeed many---in conclusion---Boy sees movie,boy uses movie to try to pick up chicks--grandfather is appalled and amuzed----
Old 02-19-2008, 01:25 PM

Default Haywood and Delp

ccmmcc brings up a good point.

Joseph Haywood also did a book called Snow Fly that got very good reviews (I didn't read that one). He also did a book called Covered Waters (I did read) a good book about his obsession with fishing among other things. I have not read the Woods Cop series but heard it is good as well.

Michael Delp is another Michigan guy who is skilled with poetry and essay. He has contributed to TCS before and it looks like we will be spotlighting him in the upcoming issue.

I also wanted to mention a buddy of Byron's; Rusty Gates did Seasons on the AuSable for opening day 2007. It is a chronicle of each month of the season on that great rive and what it takes to catch trout during that time.

Chuck

Last edited by Paula Begley; 03-11-2008 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: removed website link
Old 02-19-2008, 03:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

Got lucky and found John Holt's "Knee Deep in Montana's Trout Streams" at McKay's Used Books. Such a fun read! It's like Gierach telling you "where" to fish. He's holds an affinity for Bull Trout, but also plays the cutthroat and rainbow game. But I agree with everyone, anything Gierach is priceless. Trout Bum and At the Grave of the Unknown Fisherman are my faves.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Boy sees movie,boy uses movie to try to pick up chicks--grandfather is appalled and amuzed----
My mom just bought the movie and wants my son and I to come over to their house this spring and watch it with them (Mom and dad spend winters in Florida).

That is all I need, my 13 year old son using fly fishing to pick up chicks.

Come to think of it, that's the main reason I learned to play guitar.

Oh well, on to another thought.

Jeff
Old 02-19-2008, 03:32 PM

I'm a huge fan of Dave Ames.

As mentioned, "A Good Life Wasted" is a great and very entertaining read. I've read it several times over the past five years, and in another day or two will finish it.....again.

Dave's other books are also very good.

His first book "True Love and the Woolly Bugger" was very entertaining. I believe I'll read it again once I finish A. G. L. W. again.

Dave's latest book is "Dances with Sharks". I've only finished one chapter of it and it's apparent that it will fit in nicely with his previous style, humor, and lessons.

For the how to and when to aspect of fly fishing, it's hard to beat the legends....

Folks like Lafontaine, Richards, and Whitlock have written wonderful books about the bugs we imitate, with so much information in them that they could be used as class books for college courses.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:40 PM

Talking ROFLM*O at Laux

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauxier View Post
Boy sees movie,boy uses movie to try to pick up chicks--grandfather is appalled and amuzed----
That's the funniest thing I've ever heard.... I wanna go fishin with that Kid! Primarily so I can catch the the fish he spent 10 minutes false casting over

Speaking of the movie...last year Big Sky journal did a story about ol' Norm, and printed a picture of his father in the story... the casting director for Redford was a Genious...Tom Skerrit is the man re-incarnated!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 09:29 PM

I have a coworker that I am trying to teach flyfishing to. He came in this morning all excited about watching "A River runs through It" "man can you teach me that Shadow Casting(False Casting) that looks really cool!" I broke his heart when I told him that I try to never false cast unless I really need to. He understood after I explained to him how it can spook the fish. But I could tell his heart was set on looking like Brad Pitt. Then I had to remind him that he was a 40yr old short heavy set man like me (47) and no amount of false casting would make us look like Pitt.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:29 PM

Default Don't want it to end

I hate to see this post end. I thought I would throw out what I have on my bookshelf and see what happens.

Thomas McGuane - The Sporting club, 92 in the Shade, The Longest Silence, Nothing but blue skies.

Jim Harrison - Just Before Dark, True North, The Road Home

Robert Traver - Anatomy of a Murder, Trout Madness

Hemingway - The Nick Adams Stories

Charles Gaines - The Next Valley Over (a southern writer)

Jerry Dennis - The Living Great Lakes, From a Wooden Canoe

Anthology - Michigan Seasons

Geirach- Standing in a River Waving a Stick, Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders.

I hate to see this end because I have written down the names of all the books and authors that I am not familiar with for future reference.

Chuck

Last edited by Paula Begley; 03-11-2008 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: removed website link