Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-14-2008, 09:20 PM

Default Tandem Rig Question

Ok, if you want ot fish something like a tiny midge just under the scum how do you rig it Never fished this before so any help would be appreciated!!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:24 PM

When your sure that's what thier eating, drop your un weighted designee about 16" to 24" off the dry! Or you could just use a parasol midge and fish it like you would a dry! Maybe I'm not really sure what your asking, but there's probably a half a dozen ways to "rig" for subsurface fishing....Sounds like someone has been driven mad at the Clinch just below the dam! If that's the case, try a size 24 black fly and if there not taking that go by LRO and buy your self a few black fly larva! Drop the larva about 20" off of a high floating dry....bout a size 16 para adams should do the trick! All in all, if your fishing the Clinch don't fish near the dam! Better fishing to be had downstream of Millers Island and the Anderson Co. Jail!

I know I've been rambling about the Clinch for a while now, but It's the only East Tennessee Tailwater that has the maddening effect of rise rings around yourself while your waist deep in the water....I'll give you a better suggestion....Learn how to tie both the black fly pattern and the larva pattern and vary the color! Dark Olive! It's rather maddening just trying to fish those patterns and seems to usually end in frustration for me! Tangled messes and smaller fish! Fish non the less!

Where are you wanting to use this teqnique I'm interested in hearing...I might be able to help you out a little more knowing where your deploying this technique!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:36 AM

I'm fishing bout 2 miles down from the **** on the Elk river in Moore county TN. There are always some kind of midge hatches going on and yes, you can stand in the water and watch them eat around you. They're usually size 24 or so and they're usually just under the surface. I end up catching a few on the tiniest emerger i've got but I was hoping to figure out a rig where I could run the midge just under the surface (6 to 10" I guess). So, you think a dry with the midge or larvae droppered off of it would work using the dry as the indicator?
Old 02-15-2008, 01:57 AM

Default You just can't go wrong!

If your wade fishing in knee high water then a dry dropper rig is pretty undenyable! You can have your nymph 15 " off your dry and as far as 4' off your dry! It's the only way to fish! Yes, that should do the trick, of course with a little experimenting to get you to the desired depth! I don't know anything about the Elk and I wish I could help you more with some patterns! I hear caddis float around there pretty frequently!

Let me know how that works out!
~Brett
Old 02-15-2008, 02:00 AM

take a size 20 or smaller hook. straight or curved shank will work. I use both. Take some 6/0 or 8/0 thread and wrap down body, and back up. whip finish and coat with head cement for durability. if you want to fish it very near the surface, coat it with a floatant before fishing. you can also wrap wire around it to form an unweighted zebra midge. I tie in both black and olive colors. Another way I tie it is to use some foam I bought for 40 cents. I cut a super super thin strip from it and wrap it around the hook as the body. If you can manage to cut it thin enough, it comes out to be almost the exact size of the the fly with just thread and it floats on top of the water. I'd still use an indicator of some sort though unless you have amazing eyes. You could tie some sort of parachute on the fly, but with its small size, it may affect the effectiveness of the fly. I'm gonna give it a try anyway.

If you don't tie, I'd follow the aforementioned advice and buy some black fly larva. I reserve these patterns almost exclusively for fishing still water, like below the dam on the clinch and holston (below cherokee) when fish are feeding all around me like its nobody's business. also the thread midge has caught fish when absolutely no other fly would get a look in the slick water below the weirs on the S. Holston.

One thing I've learned about fishing these still water flies is that patience is a must. Granted, its almost like worm and bobber fishing, but its effective. A full drift may last a couple minutes. A long, patient, good drift will produce a lot more fish than a short, good drift in this slick water, and any water in general. So don't be afraid to cast, enjoy a good book, have some coffee, and eventually set the hook.

Hope this helps.

Ben
Old 02-15-2008, 04:24 AM

Thanks guys, i'm writing all of this down! I knew I could caount on yall! Now, to attempt these fly patterns!! I will get me some larvae first chance or figure out how to tie them!!

Thanks again!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:22 AM

If you want the midge larvae right up near the surface you can even follow the above advice and then grease (apply floatant to) the tippet between the indicator fly and the midge larvae fly. I've been known to grease the tippet out to within a few inches or the midge larvae fly if I really want the midge larve to hang just below the surface.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:40 AM

Don't forget very small soft hackles in those annoying situations with risers everywhere...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-15-2008, 06:14 PM

ok, switching gears then: When you talk about soft hackles in a situation like this, what do you mean? AS a wet fly fished just under? What size soft hackle?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:18 PM

I would probably fish them on the swing and try to swing it right across in front of the rising fish. Cast upstream of the fish and allow it to sink/drift with the current and right as it gets in the vicinity of the fish, start swinging... As for sizes, I would start with a #14 or #16 and go down as small as you can tie or buy them... If they'll hit the larger ones, there's no point bothering with anything smaller.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com