Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 PM

Default Prescription Sunglasses

I am looking to buy a pair of prescription polarized sunglasses and am looking for some input. Currently, I have a cheap clip on that goes on top of my glasses. My sister works for an optometrist and can get me a good deal on any of the big brands, so that is an option. Anyone out there using any prescription polarized sunglasses, and care to offer any input?

Travis
Old 02-17-2008, 11:51 PM

Post Sunglasses

I gave up on the clip-on last year and went to prescription polarized glasses. Was a good move, but then I am to the point in life where trifocals are required. Other than cost, the only drawback I have experienced is the requirement to keep up with another pair of rather expensive glasses. Anyway, for me, the benefit in comfort and ability to see well is worth the cost. Just my thoughts.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

If you haven't yet, you might want to take a look at the Cocoons. I fish a lot of tailwaters where the peripheral glare can be a real problem. The Cocoons fit over my prescription glasses, are quite lightweight and comfortable, and provide the additional side coverage that is lacking in prescription glasses alone. Daniel sold me an Aviator-style, yellow lens pair last summer and they work great. The Yellow lens helps to "amplify" available light so I can wear them quite late into the day. They're reasonably priced and come with a handy carry case that I just throw into my gear tote without fear of them getting scratched or misplaced.

Something to think about.

Gerry
Old 02-18-2008, 02:23 PM

ChemEAngler,

Until I got contacts I used several pair of Action Optics prescription sunglasses. You can pick up an order form from us or we'll send you one. Your sister's deal is probably your best option. I like copper or brown lenses for trout and rose for saltwater and lake fishing. I still have AA sunglasses but I've got to tell you I see much better with contacts. I was having trouble seeing tarpon which seems odd because they are almost as big as me. My Opthomologist worked hard with me to get my vision perfect. I think I made 5 trips to Knoxville. Then Orvis gave us a deal whereby we could order their new $250 sunglasses for $60. Now I can see tarpon, I can buy any sunglasses (non prescription) and my vision is perfect. I still have to wear reading glasses though.

Byron
Old 02-18-2008, 03:29 PM

Default Sunglasses

ChemE, I use a pair of the cocoon style sunglasses. Easy on and off. Work fine for me. New models don't make you look like you just had eye surgery. Well maybe a little , but who cares. Monk
Old 02-18-2008, 06:41 PM

Default Rx sunglasses

I use a pair of prescription bifocals -- without 'em I can't see too hot any more. Just be sure you get polarized.

sb
Old 02-18-2008, 06:56 PM

Cool

I second or third the comments on Cocoons. Cocoons come in different sizes to fit over glasses (even small enough if you don't need to put them over glasses). They are light and fit better than some (don't slide).

I have a pair of Rx glasses with frames that are designed to use magnetic "clip on" sunglasses. You can get them polarized in dark grey and amber (maybe light amber too). The magnetic clip ons are not cheap (cheaper than a second pair of glasses & frames) but they are great for driving and fishing in conditions where the demand for side protection is not as important. You can put them in a small soft glasses case and easily store in your pocket etc. If your Rx changes the magnetic clip ons can be put on the new glasses. Cheaper than having 2 pair of Rx glasses (In my case trifocals). In FL I have used the "clip on" and Cocoons simultaneously.

I would read the brand on the frame but I can't read without my glasses. Your Dr should be able to locate them.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:02 PM

Default Cocoons

Daniel sold me Cocoons last year as well (is he on comission with these guys?) and I have really enjoyed them. I forget that I have them on after a while. Only trouble is when the sun goes behind the ridge in late afternoon, my amber set gets a little dark. But really enjoy them and they make a world of difference beating the glare.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 02-20-2008, 10:44 AM

I have always worn RayBan Aviators, this past Nov I order them with progressive polarized Rx amber. AWESOME!