Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 PM

Default Rogersville TN

I am interested in going back to ROgersville near the steam plant this spring to try my hand at the Hybrids agian. Does anyone know anything about the area. What time of year would be a good one to try. I was there in april last year and got one and sevearl whites. I would like to get into them. I have a 8wt so what kinda flies do I need? I have lots of clousers in big sizes. I used them and chart. and white buggers last year with some luck. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

STU
Old 02-18-2008, 01:38 PM

Default Rogersville

Good morning Stu,
The Striper-Hybrid run will be starting any time now and the fishing usually starts just below the ROGERSVILLE area. There is a bridge that crosses from Whitesburg on the Melinda's Ferry Road. You can park here and walk down river to a good fishing area. The run will progress to the bridge that crosses the hwy. from Bulls Gap to Rogersville and there is a parking area on the Bulls Gap side. Go down the bank and walk downstream. There is a good long fishing area here. The run will progress up to the dam at the John Sevier Steam Plant. There is parking at a couple of places here and you can walk down to the river. Fishing right under the dam is rough. It is a bad place to hang up so weedless hooks are advisable. The very biggest fish are to be found just below Cherokee Dam. You need about a 20wt. for these fish. Let us know how it goes.
Hugh

Last edited by Hugh Hartsell; 02-18-2008 at 01:55 PM..
Old 02-19-2008, 12:26 AM

I never thought I would read anything about the John Sevier Steam plant on here.

I didn't know a thing about fly fishing at the time, but I spent many summer days as a kid fishing below the steam plant. My buddy lived about a mile away from the dam and we would ride our bikes down with our rods and a cast net. During the hottest days of summer the fish would stack up right below the dam. We would catch shad in the sluice and take them over to the dam where we would cast into whitewater at the base of the dam and catch fish after fish. I have some great childhood memories catching huge stripers, largemouth and smallmouth there. That was about 13 or 14 years ago.

Sounds like you would be right on track with the white and chartruse clousers if it's anything like it used to be. I remember my friends dad, who fished there constantly, almost always tied on a white bucktail.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:42 AM

Okay guys I've been wanting to hook some stripers bad this year. Lets do some fishing. Please more info Hugh or who ever else. I went and explored the John Sevier Steam Plant a couple of weeks ago and left a little disappointed. Monday I was at another one all day long. Do they have to be generating steam for the fishing to be good? Can I use a Drift boat around Rogersville? Thanks for any help.

www.flyfishtennessee.com
www.facebook.com/flyfishtennessee
Old 02-20-2008, 01:11 PM

Default Hybrids

Good morning Kris,
It is still just a bit early for the run to be that far upstream so think of it sort of like the water in the Park. The water will be just a bit warmer where it enters back water and the fish will begin staging there. As temps rise for a day or two they will begin to move upstream. Since the water is warmer after passing through the steam plant, it will cause a little movement that you would not normally see in between the backwater and the steam plant. The warmer the days get-the more activity you will see. I'll have to say that all my fishing up there has been with ultralights and not flyfishing gear. I also usually start the season off by tipping the fly with a minnow and fishing it slow and deep. As the temps go up you will not need to tip the fly. They really get active. The fishing below Cherokee Dam will be more like flyfishing for trout underneath the dam. Take some really big flies and heavy gear to this section. I have never floated the Holston River below the John Sevier Steam Plant. I always used my Bass boat and motored upstream to running water. I think it would be alright. You would need to check out places downstream for good takeout points. I'm not sure how close you can get your vehicle to the water for a pickup. Someone else may have been there recently. There is another fish that can be a bonus that noone has mentioned. The Holston has a good number of the Flathead Catfish and it will hit a fly as well. They are great fighters and the normal size is 3-5lbs. Traditionally, this is the type of fishing that ushered in the season in East Tenn. for many years and sometimes it can be a pleasant change for the flyfisherman until the streams in the Park begin calling. Let us know about your trips.
Hugh

Last edited by Hugh Hartsell; 02-20-2008 at 06:37 PM..
Old 02-21-2008, 10:19 PM

WHenever you guys are ready let me know. Thanks for the info from all. I can't wait to try it again. I will keep looking in on this so if any new info comes up let me know.

STU