Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 02-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Default March Flies in the Smokies

Hello, great to be a new member. We will be on a spring break trip in the smokies this year during March specifically the 8th through the 14th, we were just wondering what some great patterns for catching fish this time of year will be. We will be fishing Little River near Elkmont and Deep and Forney Creek. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-18-2008, 08:08 PM

Welcome to the board! I'll be up that way a week before you and can't wait. I'm hoping for good hatches by then but you never really can tell what will be happening. I would be ready with Blue Quills, Quill Gordons, early brown stoneflies, little black stoneflies and don't overlook the small dark caddis that might be hatching by that time as well. When the fish aren't taking dries, be ready with nymph/wet patterns of these as well... Last year around that time I did well with small dark nymphs that at least vaguely resembled the stonefly nymphs that were available to the fish and normally trailed a midge behind any nymph I was fishing.

Be sure and stop by LRO since they'll know exactly what is happening and which flies are hot...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-28-2008, 06:36 PM

bjsip11,

Welcome. Glad to have you here. We look forward to your posts. Things are looking better weatherwise for the week you will be here. I see Plateau Angler filled you in on the flies. Have a great trip.

Byron
Old 02-29-2008, 11:37 AM

Thank you very much and hopefully we will have a chance to stop by the store.