Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 02-20-2008, 12:49 AM

Well since Pete pulled up one of my old posts I feel obligated to chime in even though I have been MIA from the board due to duck and deer season. If you are pressed for time and worrying about making it down to 53 from the deep creek trailhead, dont worry about it because it is basically 99% downhill with very steep switch backs starting out. Once you start seeing deep creek you will notice a unmaintainded campsite that is off the trail a ways on the right, take notice of that campsite because that is a good spot to exit the creek if you are fishing upstream from campsite 53. I caught alot of fish and would love to go back.

Although the hike down was great, if you are pressed for time and tired from climbing over rocks all day in the creek, the walk back up to the top of the trailhead of deep creek almost killed me. It is staight up and seeing that I overpacked alittle, really took a toll on me.

I would be interested in going sometime with you. I went to campsite 27 this past weekend and really had a blast. I didnt get any fishing time due to the high winds on Sunday and my truck being blocked in at the trailhead above Tremont. I did get to give some volunteer work back to the NPS and helped the ranger push trees out of the way after he cut them up. My email address is s_mlmorgan@pstcc.edu if you want to shoot me some trip plans if you want any extra company.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:10 PM

Default Mmorgan

Hey I would like to go up sometime with you. I already have a couple of guys that I am going up with on this trip though. I normally do not fish in the mountains a lot so I do not know much about the fishing up there so I am willing to do almost anything. If you have any ideas on what you want to do just post them and we can plan something.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:09 PM

Default Photo's of 53

Here's a link to some pix of my trip to Deep Creek last September...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9171401...7602225521443/
Old 02-20-2008, 10:03 PM

Those are some nice pictures, a couple of those looked like you got into some pig brookies. Did you stay at 53?

Craig
Old 02-21-2008, 07:33 AM

Yep, those are pix of 53. I liked the campsite and was spoiled by the fishing there. If you are used to hiking in the Smoky's, the climb back out of 53 is not too bad. It's much easier than the Alum Cave trail up LeConte.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5
Default 53

The Poke Patch is one of my favorite places to stay. Some big Brooks, and apparently you landed some nice brown as well. I live in Waynesville and I always am looking to go for a weekend, Let me know email is corbodiesel@yahoo.com doesn't have to be Deep Creek anywhere around here I am failiar with.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:18 PM

Well I finally decided to take my trip to 53 yesterday. The rain of the past few weeks made us push the trip back a couple weeks. The hike in was a breeze took us around an hour and a half. Once we arrived we immdiately saddled up our rods and hit the stream. On the first cast I hooked a small rainbow but the fishing slowed after that. Ended the day with five fish brought to hand and I lost about double that number. I was planning on fishing saturday morning but the rain forced us to cut the trip short. The hike out was very difficult. It is uphill the whole way. Took us around two hours and we were booking it out of there. Sorry no pictures dont have a good camera yet.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:36 PM

Default Trip List

I loved the pics of your Deep Creek trip. It has been awhile since I have packed in anywhere. Can you give me an idea of your trip list for a ovenighter for trout in the back country? My vest probably weighs as much as all your gear. Feedback concerning what to bring and what to leave would be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:21 PM

Well that is the biggest problem for me when I backpack into the backcountry. I always tend to overpack in case of an emergency. I bring the normal camping gear (sleeping bag, tent, mat, and a stove). That takes up a great deal of room and then once you add in food it seems as if I have no more room for my fishing gear. I normally squezze in my rod in one of the side pockets of my pack. It is very helpful to get a four piece with a traveling case if you dont already know that. I decided that waders were not a must so i left them at home. The water was very cold but waders are just too bulky so i had to leave them. As for the fishing vest. This is the hardest part on what you need and what you don't. I try to consoladate everything into as little as possible. This ends up making me leave a lot of stuff at home. I always wear my vest as I hike instead of packing so that I can save space. This is the basics of what I do if you have any more questions just ask.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:53 PM

Default Parking?

Is there parking on NGR at the Deep Creek trailhead?