Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 02-23-2008, 04:26 PM

Default Fly Swap Part II

I found an old post from "Griff" so I'm in the "know" on how the fly swap works.
Sencondly, if there is an overall consensus on the color of the Copper John, I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited by onthefly; 04-15-2008 at 09:31 PM..
Old 02-23-2008, 08:33 PM

Lightbulb Swap Guidelines

Ok guys, I'm still waiting for everyone's input, but I thought I would put a stake in the ground and we can alter the guidelines as appropriate, based on everyones feedback.

This has been edited (plaguerized, actually) from Griff's Post as well as the other swap thread (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7973):

Since this was my bright idea, I'll take the responsibility of being the swapmeister. The theme for this swap will be any Smoky Mtn. pattern. We have 6 participants with 2 flies per person, so that's 12 flies each (for those of us mathematically challenged). The due date for having your flies sent to me will be March 30th. If you have any questions about how this works just ask.

Here are a few ground rules to help keep everything smooth:

1. Send me an email at [petecz@charter.net] and I will send you my mailing address information

2. Start tying! The due date for your flies is March 30th. Please don't procrastinate, everyone is counting on you to make this a successful swap.

3. Each fly will need to have a toetag, this is just a small piece of paper with your LRO username on it, what you tied and what size. Include the recipe if you want, or post it on the thread (or keep it a closely guarded family secret).

4. When you are finished with your flies and have mailed them, post on here, so that I can keep an eye out for them. I don't think my mailman flyfishes...but you never know...

5. Send your flies in a crushproof container with a return self-addressed envelope with return postage. The little plastic boxes you get when you buy flies from LRO work well. What ever box you send your flies in will be returned to you.

6. If you feel the urge to tie a few "bonus flies", keep in mind that all additional bonus flies are a gift to the recipient, and in no way constitutes a return fly unless that person wants too include bonus flies, as well. If I receive extra flies I will distribute them accordingly. If you want to specify who to give the bonus flies to, please indicate that in your shipment and I will add those flies to that persons return package.

7. Communication is very important! Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Thanks to Griff and the Other Swappers!

OnTheFly - My preference would be a Red Copper John, but let's see what everyone else thinks...
Old 02-24-2008, 07:54 AM

Pencil me in for a Mr. Rapidan Cripple. I'd go with red on the copper john as well if possible.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:50 PM

Is there room for one more, or is it set? If there is room, pencil me in for a yellow trude.

Brad
Old 02-24-2008, 11:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default Doc's Cork

I had been tying up a mess of Yellow Doc's Cork dries for the "other" Spring swap, but I just checked back on that thread and noticed that I'm not in the list. I guess I didn't make myself very clear.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, sign me up for the Yellow Doc's Cork - aka, Daniel's Neversink Caddis - photo to follow shortly. I'm tying 14's and 16's so y'all will get one of each.

Gerry
Old 02-24-2008, 11:26 PM

Default Welcome Brad and Gerry!!

Ok, I think we are now at our limit. If we do two flies each we're at 16.
Here's what I have heard so far:

Kentucky Kid
Buckeyetrouter - Parachute Adams
Rainshaker - Smoky Mtn Prince Nymph
OnTheFly - Copper John - Red (other colors available if you ask nicely! and quickly!)
TroutDude - Mr. Rapidan Cripple
PeteCz - Yellow CDC EHC (Little Yellow Sally)
Trouttater - Yellow Trude
Gerry Romer - Yellow Neversink Caddis (Doc's Cork)
Old 02-25-2008, 03:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default Doc's Cork

Here's the Doc's Cork. Not exactly the best pic, but you get the idea...

This particular specimen is a size 16.

Gerry
Old 02-25-2008, 06:06 PM

I've decided on the tellico nymph. size 14
Old 02-25-2008, 10:50 PM

Default Lineup

Kentucky Kid - Tellico Nymph
Buckeyetrouter - Parachute Adams
Rainshaker - Smoky Mtn Prince Nymph
OnTheFly - Copper John - Red (other colors available if you ask nicely! and quickly!)
TroutDude - Mr. Rapidan Cripple
PeteCz - Yellow CDC EHC (Little Yellow Sally?)
Trouttater - Yellow Trude
Gerry Romer - Yellow Doc's Cork

Trouttater, I see from the other swap that you are tying a Yellow Sally EHC. Does it include CDC? If so, I'll pick something else...

Gerry, I like the Doc's Cork. I had been trying to tie some Neversink Caddis, but had been taking the hackle to the hook eye. I like the yellow foam head on yours. It makes it easier to tie off the hackle.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:45 PM

No, I've tied it using CDC, but this one is just a simple yellow body EHC with light ginger/straw hackle.