Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-25-2008, 02:39 PM

Default Lynn Camp Prong

I went for a hike up to Indian Flats falls this weekend (beautiful, btw) and I remembered that they are going to eradicate all of the trout on Lynn Camp some time this year to make it an all brookie stream (there is a long, informative thread about it from last January on this board). Does anyone know when this is scheduled to happen? Any special rules prior to the poisoning?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:13 PM

Hello Cincivol,

I believe the treatment is scheduled for late summer, early fall. They are supposed to have a special reg. harvest for the rainbows and browns before they treat Lynn Camp. The regs will be the same as far as using single hook lures and live bait won't be allowed. I think you'll be able to keep as many bows and browns as you want, as long as you use follow the other regs. The Little River Chapter of TU is going to be assisting with this project, including people helping on the special harvest periods.

Hope this helps,

Neal
Old 02-25-2008, 09:31 PM

Pineman...I would add to what you said above - from what I understand, not only can you keep as many non-brookie trout as you like, you MUST keep all fish. At least, that was the pattern on Sams Creek, according to the park service's white paper. I think there will be a check-in point, and the fish will be measured, catalogued, etc.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:43 PM

Default Brook Trout Restoration pdf

Cincivol,

Here is a pdf on the restoration methods and assessment for Sams Creek which is a tributary of Thunderhead Prong. They will be using brookies form Sams Creek to restock Lynn Camp after the browns and bows have been removed.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/upl...eek-Report.pdf
Old 02-26-2008, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the link pineman, that was a very informative read.

Craig
Old 02-26-2008, 08:52 AM

Very interesting. Thanks for the great info guys. That would be really cool if they can establish such a large, lower elevation creek for brookies.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:12 AM

I can remember when they tried to fish out the middle prong many years ago using the same methods...keep all but brookies no matter size or number....couldn't do it....what did happen was the next year the size of the average fish caught up there jumped from 6-7" to 7-8"....guess that is why they are going to poison the stream.....will be interesting to see if it works the way they say it will.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:48 AM

Default Sams Creek History

Hi,

I am a newer member here and saw the posting on Sams Creek. I was wondering if anybody could point me to any history on this creek. My name is Chuck Sams and my family comes from western NC and Eastern TN and I was just curious if there was anything unique about how the stream got it's name.

I visited the park last year but didn't get a chance to explore Sams Creek.

Chuck

Last edited by Paula Begley; 03-11-2008 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: removed website link
Old 02-26-2008, 11:43 AM

Wow...that's pretty neat if it's named after your family. Geneology is fascinating - I got into it a number of years ago, and found one crypt in a cemetary in New Orleans that had 11 members of my family in it - my dad knew nothing of it. I don't know the history of the name of that stream, but I bet someone on the board does.

I think the "open season" on bows before they close the stream will be just to get an idea of how fishing pressure effects fish populations. In the white paper on Sams Creek, the indications were that it wasn't much of an effect.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:04 PM

Always interesting to see how names and places come together....almost 50 years ago I caught my first trout on a fly wading in Porter's Creek over in Greenbrier....almost 16 years ago my son was born and given the name Porter...this was his grandfather's middle name and he was from Sevierville...later learned that Porter was his grandmother's maiden name and that he had a brother that lived in the Greenbrier area before the Park was born....figure there has to be a connection there in more than one way.