Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-26-2008, 12:34 PM

That's pretty cool, too...I've seen the same trends in my family. Isn't Dolly Parton's family from the Greenbrier area too? I think I read that somewhere.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:05 PM

Default Parton Town

ijsouth,

You are correct about the Parton family being rooted in the Greenbriar area. They lived along Little Bird Branch, which is up from the Greenbriar trailhead for the Old Settlers Trail. The Parton Cemetery is located along Little Bird Branch as well. I am getting this info from the Hiking Trails of the Smokies book. That are was referred to as Parton -Town by the locals. I need to hike into this area, the trail eventually gives a good view of the Greenbriar Pinnacle and the Cat Stairs can sometimes be seen in winter. Interesting stuff, but I'll still be glad when the fishing heats up in the Smokies. Getting weary of working on gear, building fly rods, etc. I got the Jones bad for some wild trout.

Neal

Last edited by pineman19; 02-26-2008 at 08:02 PM..
Old 02-26-2008, 07:26 PM

Is there gonna be regulation about cleaning the fish caught out of lynn camp during the extermination of the bows? I'd hate to hike up the stream and just see fish heads and entrails laying about everywhere, and I'd hate to run across the feeding bears and copperheads it would attract.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:16 AM

The traditional old time way of eating these little trout is to leave the heads on....while this was mainly to insure the fish met the minimum length requirements my grandfather always said he did it to use the eye sockets for finger holds while eating the fish like corn on the cobb....imagine my shock as a youngster looking at a plate of trout with heads still on and no eyes...the "inards" were usually tossed back into the stream for the crayfish to fatten up on to better feed the big boys....I have only found the mess you described on one occasion when my cousin and I spooked several locals up in the Three Forks area who were poaching and had clearly exceeded their limit on trout from the looks of the cleaning area...I can also assume that part of the process this time will be that the biologists will want to measure and count all the fish coming out so that any cleaning will probably take place elsewhere.....for those that practice catch and release exclusively and have never sampled one of these wild trout you are in for a treat.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

actually the parton cemetery is off trail from the old settlers trail....chris parton, who married an emert and joined two of the older families in greenbriar, is buried there. the best access to the cat stairs is from the old barnes farm area which was directly below the pinnacle and, again, accessed from off trail. i climbed (correct wording) the cat stairs when i was younger....but i wouldn't do it again.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:50 AM

how will they poison a whole stream without damaging downstream? And can they actually keep the other trout out? Or did all these questions get answered already? And is the whole idea just to get Brookies back and thriving? Would a Brookie get good sized if it doesn't have to compete?
Old 02-27-2008, 12:05 PM

The poision in question dissipates rather quickly, and there will be a barrier chemical applied to prevent it from moving downstream of the treatment area. Such treatments only work on streams with a barrier waterfall, like Lynn Camp has.

The Park Service has a mandate to protect and maintain native flora and fauna; rainbows and browns were stocked, and are therefore "invasive". Actually, brookies are doing quite well in the park, but their range is somewhat restricted to the higher streams, which tend to be a little too acidic for rainbows. The problem is, if you go up high enough, the streams get too acidic for even the brookies, so the goal is to try to get them re-established in lower elevation streams. Also, the lower the stream, the bigger it is, and therefore supporting more biomass - which translates into bigger fish, although bigger is relative - the Smokies just don't have the fertility of other areas to produce huge fish on a consistent basis.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:20 PM

I don't think I've ever made it up to the Lynn Camp prong. In general terms, what's the fishing like up there (ie, boulder hopping to plung pools or so tight you just set your fly on the water from behind a tree?). If it is going to be cleaned out anyway, I wouldn't mind assisting during our spring trip. The father in law is always on me to bring home some eaters!

Greg
Old 02-27-2008, 06:34 PM

Hello Greg,

Lynn is fairly easy to fish when compared to the Greenbriar or the W. Prong of the Little Pigeon, especially above the Cascades. I really enjoy fishing this stream and if you don't mind hiking a ways I would recommend hiking up to where Panther Creek enters the stream. Very pretty area, and the fishing is good as well. The gradient is not steep and boulder hopping is minimal, more like stone stepping in most areas. The bows are eager on this stream and I always seem to catch a few fish even after I haven't done well on nearby stream.

Enjoy,

Neal
Old 02-27-2008, 07:11 PM

Thanks Neal! Sounds like I can now add one more stream to the list that I must get to! I'm beginning to think more than one trip to the Smokies a year is quickly becoming in order!!