Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-27-2008, 09:04 PM

Default For Greg

Greg,

Nothing like pictures to understand what pineman was describing.

First, stone stepping on Middle Prong. This was taken yesterday when the stream was pretty full but you can see that, while there are some fairly big boulders, there are also a lot of rocks to walk.

Here's another shot from a bridge over Middle Prong.

As opposed to boulder hopping on the West Prong of the Little Pigeon (taken earlier this month).

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 02-27-2008, 09:14 PM

Talking

Thanks for the visual support Charlie. Nice to see a good flow of water on this stream.

Neal
Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 PM

Hey Charlie B, thanks for the pics. The stream looks good. Another question, if I may......Turns out a good friend is getting married in Gatlinburg the last weekend in March and the wife and I are considering witnessing the blessed event. Lovely would like to do a little hiking in the park. Being the everloving husband that I am, I immediately began looking at the trail map and I am thinking the Middle Prong Trail would make for a lovely afternoon. What can I say, I'm a giver!!! The question I have is how difficult is the hiking on the Middle Prong Trail? Does it remain close to the Middle Prong most of the time? Back before we had kiddos she would hike along with me and read a book on a rock while I would fish. Maybe we can go back in time, even if it is just for a little while.

Thanks again for the pictures. My fishing Jones is at an all time high right now!!! I'm going to set down at the bench and tie some more!!!!

Greg
Old 02-28-2008, 11:32 PM

Default Middle Prong Trail

Greg,

Middle Prong Trail is actually an old road bed built during logging days. It is wide with a relatively gradual grade most of the time. It is a very pleasant walk for at least 3 miles either directly by the river or within earshot of the river. All along the river, there are great spots to fish with large flat rocks that are ideal for one to read, watch, enjoy the surroundings while another fishes. Just a beautiful place.

This whole area along the trail obviously saw a flurry of activity during the logging days. If you know where to look, there are remains of old structures, bridge pilings, etc. Just under 2 miles up the trail on the right side of the trail (away from the river) there is a large rhodadendron by itself with a fallen tree behind and a small foot trail back to the fallen tree. Behind there, you will see this:

Just one of the remnants of another time.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 02-29-2008, 08:57 AM

Greg, I think you'll like the Middle PRong trail because not only is is a relatively gentle grade and close to the stream most of the time, but it's nice and wide. I'd say at least 4 people could walk side by side and not be crowded. A very nice trail for strolling and chatting, and hey, if a fish is rising, no harm in throwing a fly its way...
Old 02-29-2008, 11:53 AM

Another great hiking trail is the Little River trail above Elkmont....same type as Tremont...old road bed that follows the river up to the fork with Fish Camp Prong....water is a little bigger than Lynn Camp Prong but will make for a great outing....also a little closer to Gatlinburg.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:31 PM

Hey, thanks to Charlie B, Rog1, and CinciVol (as in Cincinnati like me?)! You guys were very helpful. I believe I know what I need to now to be sure both lovely and I have a great day!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:23 AM

GG,
you in Cincy? I'm in Florence, KY.

Jeff
Old 03-01-2008, 10:09 AM

Yep.....grew up over in Indiana but wife and job has me living in the friendly confines of Delhi. Heading over to Fly and Shot this morning / afternoon for the seminar on Brookville. Mostly just to feed the Jones a little.