Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 02-26-2008, 01:52 PM

Default New Member

Hello, I have read and visited this forum quite a bit this past year, love the comments, suggestions and fishing reports, and I figured I would finally join as a new member and write my first entry. I've fly fished the better part of my life, mostly out west, since I grew up over in Oregon. I visited the Smokies last June for the first time with my fiancee, Regan (she grew up in Maryville and has spent alot of time in the Smokies, although I just recently started introducing her to fly fishing). I was able to fly fish some, along the Little River (the East Prong mostly), a beautiful place (caught several scrappy 7-10" bows, and a fine Brown, 16-17" on a #12 BH Green Weenie), and also checked out Road Prong with some lovely little Brookies. The Smokies is a spectacular place, full of shining streams and rivers.
Regan and I live out in Maui right now (beautiful, but not much in the way of trout fishing), but we visit the mainland whenever we can, and I'm off fly fishing whenever possible. Actually, we are getting married this October in Townsend, so I'll be heading to the Smokies chasing after trout every chance I get, and we will also be visiting earlier, in June, for a week--I'm looking forward to it!
By the way, I was wondering if anyone knew of fishing up along Meigs Creek. I figured the stream might hold Brookies above the falls near the Little River, but I didn't find any trout in the stretch I fished, not far above the falls, last June...any suggestions?
Well, hey to all again, love the site, and glad to be a new member!
Old 02-26-2008, 02:30 PM

Welcome to the board!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-26-2008, 04:04 PM

welcome; can't beat this place!
Old 02-26-2008, 05:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default Meigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westslope View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew of fishing up along Meigs Creek. I figured the stream might hold Brookies above the falls near the Little River, but I didn't find any trout in the stretch I fished, not far above the falls, last June...any suggestions?
Well, hey to all again, love the site, and glad to be a new member!
Welcome to the Board!

Here's a link to a previous thread discussing Meigs Creek. Once you find your way around the board, check out the search function above... Awesome resources here!!

Gerry

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ht=Meigs+Creek
Old 02-26-2008, 09:40 PM

Default Meigs link

Thanks for the responses, and Gerry, thanks for the link! I'll have to revisit Meigs this June and go admire some specs...
Old 02-27-2008, 10:35 PM

Welcome to the board. Sounds like your well on your way to some great fishing in the smokies. Enjoy your time here. Make sure you don't upset the new wife by fishing and not attending the wedding.
Post some pics of the fishing in Maui if you can.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the reminder Flyfishjeep--I'll try to keep myself in check. She wants to fish with me for specs (not during the wedding...).
As for fishing pics of Maui, I'm a bit embarrassed to say I haven't fished in Maui, no trout (although plenty of saltwater fish, especially big jacks), I guess I'm a trout bum...
I will be fishing in Washington state in early April, so I'll try to post some pics after this trip if anyone's interested, even if it is more than a little ways from the Smokies!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:14 PM

Default Hawaii

I think I've read that there is some trout fishing in Hawaii, not sure which island though. That true?

sb
Old 03-08-2008, 07:36 PM

Hi Westslope,

Welcome to the board. You will enjoy this place. This is the home of information, friendship and fly fishing. Thanks for joining.

Byron
Old 03-09-2008, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the welcome Byron--this board is just great, lots of encouragement and advice from good folks. LRO is a great fly shop too, and I really appreciate all the work you have put into it (including writing all the fishing reports). I will definitely be stopping by in June and October when coming to visit the Smokies, to say hi and support the shop!
As for trout fishing in Hawaii Steve, you're right, a place called koaie stream on the island of kauai holds a self-sustaining population of rainbows that were stocked 80+ years ago and are open all year (another couple reservoirs on the island hold stocked bows and have an extremely limited open season in July and August). The stream is pretty remote, and I haven't gotten around to fishing it yet. But I'm going to try to explore it sometime this year (I'll post pics and a report when I do)...