Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Photography

Old 02-28-2008, 08:35 PM

Default help with cotton candy

been playing with getting that cotton candy effect on the water and still struggling a bit....any suggestions / tips would help.....

currently using Nikon D50 digital SLR, can go as low as 200 ISO and make most adjustments that a film SLR can do....using a tripod and the timer so I don't jiggle the camera.....

below are a few experiments

thanks in advance
buckeyetrouter

Jeremiah 29:13
Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 PM

Those look like some good pics to me. I really would like to do the same thing but, unfortunately, i don't think i can get that effect on my optio w20.

Between this photography forum and all the pictures already being posted, y'all are making it really hard on me. That slr camera has stopped calling my name and is now yelling my name!

Craig
Old 02-28-2008, 10:11 PM

hey Craig....r'ya looking at a digital slr or 35mm slr ??

bob
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 02-29-2008, 07:47 AM

Well to be honest i'm not really looking, it's more of a want. Right now, i'm trying to get a house so spending that kind of money on a camera isn't really feasible at the moment, although i'm sure i could squeeze it in somehow.

If i were to get one, though, i think it would be a digital slr. I have casually looked at some over the past couple months and found the nikon d60 that i really like, i imagine it's pretty similar to yours. Like i said, i just can't really fathom spending that kind of money (camera + lens + accesories) right now. It is definitely on my lust list, though. They are so neat you can do so many things with them. I will keep an eye out and if i find a good deal i may have to jump on it but for right now i will probably just sit on the sidelines and enjoy all of y'alls pictures.

Craig
Old 02-29-2008, 09:06 AM

Default Craig

Get the house. In a few years from now, the camera will be obsolete and you'll need a new one, the house will be worth more.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 AM

Buckeye,
They look great to me. All I know is to slow the shutter time down and raise the aperture. I don't play with the ISO much except late evening shots when I notice I'm at max aperture and my shutter time is getting too high with auto settings.--Bran
Old 02-29-2008, 10:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

that's it...open her up and slow her down, but don't fall in love with the technique or you will miss some other issues on/in the water
Old 02-29-2008, 02:01 PM

Buckeye,

Your shots look good! A tripod is an absolute must. Since your camera only goes down to an ISO 200 there are several things you can do to get a slower shutter speed. Close the aperature to the smallest setting, this will give a nice long depth of field also. Polarizing filters will help also. They generally require 2 stops of extra exposure and will reduce glare off the water. A standard neutral density filter can be used also. Cokin filter holders will even allow you to stack multiple filters.

Something to keep in mind when capturing flowing water... The more flow you have the less time you need to leave the shutter open. If you leave it open too long you will just end up with white going around rocks. In low water situations, like cascades, leaving the shutter open longer can make the falls look more full.

Daniel

Old 02-29-2008, 03:13 PM

Craig,
I believe you can get that effect with your Optio. If you can turn off the auto or program setting and then select the apature and shutter speed manually.

If it has a shutter priority setting, set the shutter speed slow (1/2 second or so), allow the camera to select an appropriate apature, put the camera on a tripod and use the self timer so you don't get camera shake when you press the shutter release button. It's really not difficult

One way I've done in the past with 35mm equipment is look at the field of view and mentally count how long it takes the water (or a leaf or something on the water) to move completely across the field of view of my picture. Let's say it's 2 seconds. I will then find some combination of apature and shutter speed that will allow me to get a good exposure at as close to 2 seconds as I can.

I know it's a long winded description but it should work or at least get you close enough that you can take it from here.

Jeff