Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-01-2008, 12:20 AM

Default Fishing Abrams

Hello, I'm making my first trip up to fish Abrams and I was wondering if there is any way I could avoid hiking the trail and following the river back to the visitor center. I was thinking of hiking along the river for a half mile or so (on the opposite side of the river than the trail back to Abrams Falls) and then wading in and following the river back to the visitor center istead of fishing the whole thing. Any thoughts? Also, is it safe to hike the trail and fish the whole thing alone if I can't implement my first plan? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:33 AM

Also, could anyone recommend a good day trip where I might have a chance at catching a brown or rainbow of a decent size? Preferably somewhere that I'm not right on the road, but on the road is fine if it's all that is available. Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:29 AM

Default Fishing Abrams

BRF,
The first scenario that you mentioned is not safe or even feasible to do on Abrams Creek. It will turn into a jungle nightmare real fast and in places you will find yourself negotiating sheer cliffs, not to mention the sn....e word. Many people have gotten lost or injured by getting off the trail on this creek. Try to just walk the Abrams Falls Trail and get in where it is close by the creek until you get some experience on it and when you have a friend along as well.
To get a shot at a big fish, try the backcountry of Deep Creek or one of the Horseshoes on Abrams. Be sure to check the weather and have a friend with you when you go.
Hugh

Last edited by Hugh Hartsell; 03-01-2008 at 09:14 AM..
Old 03-01-2008, 10:05 AM

If you are going to try one of the shoes on Abrams BE VERY SURE of the weather and take a friend. Also, if you are going to do the big Shoe, take along a few items that may help you make through the night should it come to that because it very well could. My buddy and I have had to rent a room at the Abrams hotel before (night spent on the bank under a Rhodie) after thinking there was plenty of time to fish around the Big shoe. Gets dark a lot faster than you think and the wading is very tough, not to be done after dark. Bushwhacking out is NOT an option, that will just get you in more trouble than you are by the river. GREAT fishing though.

Hugh, thanks for mentioning that word......I know they are around but I try not to think about 'em!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:54 AM

Thanks for all of the info. It will help me save a lot of time. I hate to be a pest, BUT the "Shoe" and the "Big Shoe," are they accessible from the trail before I get to the falls, or do I have to hike the whole thing (my wife will be with me and she gets worried if I take too long). As far as entering Abrams from the trail, can that be done before I get to the falls? How far down the trail is the nearest place to wade in? Lastly, the back country of "Deep Creek," how far/long of a hike is that? Thanks again and sorry to be a pest.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:35 PM

Default Accessing Abrams Creek

BRF,
The trail follows Abrams Creek all the way to the falls except for the sections where the stream goes away to form the Horshoes. There is one small one about 1/4 mile down the trail. This is the only one where you should have your wife waiting on you to fish. It takes about an 1-1/2 hours to fish and does not go very far away from the trail. The next one is 3/4 miles down the trail and it is the biggest. It is a mile or more around it and it takes all day to reach the upper side. You should absolutely have a friend with you, but not your wife. This is a very rugged place and your wife would not be friends with you any more if you took her in there, or had her to wait on you to fish through it. The Last one is called the Little Horseshoe and it begins at the Falls. It takes about 3-4 hours to fish through it and it is very rugged as well. Your wife could spend some time at the Falls and then walk back toward the parking area after she has given you enough time to get through this section. Do not take her into this stretch of water. Be absolutely sure that you find a friend to do either of these trips with and start early. Be sure that you have felt bottomed boots and that someone knows where you will be going.
If you decide to do the back country of Deep Creek and your wife is a hiker, she may follow along for quite a ways on this stream. The trail follows this stream for a good ways. There is a section about 3 mile up the stream that goes away from the trail for a distance.
Hugh
Old 03-01-2008, 04:01 PM

Hugh,

Thanks a lot. you guys hae saved me hours of investigating and kept me from making some rookie mistakes. I think I will skip Abrams this time and try some of the other more easily accessed areas. Since we rented a cabin in Townsend, I think I may just stick to the stuff by the road for this trip and come back in a month for a back country trip to some of the places you guys have mentioned in this and other threads. Thanks to Little Tiver for having this board. I didn't realize so much info was available. I'll definitely do all of my fly fishing purchases trhough them if at all possible because this message board is a God send. Thanks again and good luck to all of you.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:09 PM

Default Another Option

BRF,

If you're staying in Townsend, consider going up the Middle Prong of Little River. You can fish this for several miles along the road or drive on up to a dead end parking area where you can walk across a foot bridge to the Middle Prong Trail.

See the posts starting with #18 on http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...?t=9920&page=2 that describes and has a couple of pictures of the river along the Middle Prong Trail. This is one where your wife can walk along with you and it's not a drive/park/fish, drive/park/fish kind of deal like you would do just following a road. Nice walk, beautiful river, willing fish, particularly above the cascades (1/2 mile or so up the trail).

The folks at LRO can easily point you towards this destination and it's probably 10-15 minutes from the shop.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 03-01-2008, 10:35 PM

Charlie,

Thanks so much for the advice. It sounds like a good plan. I'll post some pics here when I get back and let you guys know how a greenhorn did lol.