Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-24-2008, 03:59 PM

Default Three Forks Area above Rough Creek

Way back when you were able to drive up to the end of the Little River Trail this area above Rough Creek was fairly accessible and had not been closed to Brook trout restrictions. I can remember hiking up to the first fork of the Little River and fishing up the left hand fork....never knew the name of these creeks but it looks like the map says this may have been Meigs Post Prong. Somewhere up there there was a vertical water fall that once climbed offered pure brookie water. Such a hike these days would be almost 7-8 miles from the trail head. I was just wondering if anyone has fished this area since the restrictions were lifted and if so what was the water like up there. To really fish this area again it would require an overnight at 24 or 30 for me.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:20 PM

Default Litttle River Headwaters

Hello Rog1,

I am curious about the headwaters of the Little River as well. I know the fish will be smaller up that high, but I occasionally like getting into the upper reaches of a stream for solitude and to soak up the environment. I plan on doing a few backcountry trips this year since I have purchased a lightweight tent, etc. Would like to check this area out while water levels are still good after the water temps reach the 50's. Hopefully, someone chimes in with some experiences. I can tell you that I fished Goshen Prong several years ago, not long after they opened it up to fishing. It was a good experience even if I did more hiking than fishing. Next time I'll have to camp so I can spend more time fishing.

Neal
Old 03-24-2008, 11:23 PM

Neal, I made it up to Fish Camp Prong on Saturday and I agree, it is a beautiful area (even nicer than I expected). The water was 46 degrees but I still managed to catch a few on dries, including a really nice 12" brown on a #12 Yellow Stimi. The water was up too high, though. I probably would have done better if the water wasn't as strong. I suspect the fish are ready to eat almost regardless of the water temp, but the flow was too much to get them out of their holding spots. In the few areas I found with slower water, I was able to entice fish with a dry...but those spots were few and far between.

I completely agree on the need to camp to explore this water, more fully. There are a few young guys on here who could cover a lot of territory in a day, but three hours of fishing combine with 8 miles (three hours) of hiking, had me completely worn out.

I'm sure that Goshen Prong gets very little pressure (campsite 23 is almost 7 miles from the TH at Elkmont. I would expect that since 24 is a more visited site that there are a number of folks who could comment on the brookie water that Rog is referring to. Of course, just because they could comment, doesn't necessarily mean that they would comment...

It was very hard to hike up to the Goshen Prong Trail. I had to shield my eyes from LR the entire 3.7 miles. There were so many spots along the way that I just wanted to stop and start fishing. I would love to know how David and Craig are able to resist the temptation to stop and fish, instead of hiking on through...
Old 03-25-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCz View Post
It was very hard to hike up to the Goshen Prong Trail. I had to shield my eyes from LR the entire 3.7 miles. There were so many spots along the way that I just wanted to stop and start fishing. I would love to know how David and Craig are able to resist the temptation to stop and fish, instead of hiking on through...
PeteCz, I've fished LR for the first few miles above Elkmont so much that I've more or less got it out of my system...sort of... That said, there is no good fishing anywhere above Elkmont, especially in the first couple of miles...that's why it is so easy to pass up...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-25-2008, 08:52 AM

The first time I fished FCP was with my cousin and I was 14...had to hike in from the original gate above Elkmont...about a mile above the present gate...could not believe how much good looking water we were passing.....my family's pet area was the upper reaches of FCP...especially when you could drive up to the forks of the river....there is actually an island just below the Goshen Prong fork and the right side of this water was always a favorite....my grandfather's favorite pool was just at the lower end of the island...always yielded a good fish....to get to the pure spec waters of the upper LR in the Three Forks area I believe an overnite trip is a must....once you get to 30 there are no trails along the river and you have to come out the same way you went in....I can remember some great water up there and some good fishing to boot....back then there were no browns on this section of the LR....now I have caught them up above 24 and up Rough Creek....I would like to spend about a week at 24....fishing that whole area ....
Old 03-27-2008, 09:19 PM

Default Campsite 24

Rog 1, if you head up to 24 sometime this season give me a shout and I would be glad to meet you up they for a couple of days of fishing and exploring.

Petecz, thanks for the work on the spreadsheet, puts everything in one place instead of having to look up every trail and stream with maps and books.

Neal
Old 03-28-2008, 12:34 PM

Pineman....I am kind of like you used to be...located in N. Fla. with a 9 hour drive to get to the mtns.....will be in Elkmont with a friend and our teenagers the first part of June and already have my reservations for the end of September(28th thru the 4th)...Sept. will be in F8 right by the upper bridge...stop by and swap some stories....will fish above Elkmont a couple of time then and would welcom the company.