Townsend, Tennessee
June 25, 2009

Welcome to the Fishing Report.  It is sunny and a little cooler than it has been.  Townsend is fairly quiet for a late June morning.  Little River looks perfect.  It looks like it would normally in March.  The flow is currently 331 cubic feet per second.  Normal for this date is 123 cfs.  The water is clear and deep.  The riffles are strong.  It just looks good.

The water temperature in town is hanging around 64 degrees.  Conditions for fishing are great in the Park.  The East Prong of the Little River still has strong current.  Watch your step.  The smaller streams will be easier to wade.  Fishing is best in the mornings and evenings.  I would probably fish in the evenings until dark. 

Terrestrials such as beetles, ants and Green Weenies will work.  Try a Parachute Adams, Yellow Parachute Adams or an Elk Hair Caddis.  Yellow Sally Stonefly patterns will do fine during the day and even better at night.  Right now the Neversink Caddis seems to be a good choice. 

Little River is clearing downstream in smallmouth bass country.  We are holding our TU meeting at River Johns on the Lower Little River this evening.  I’ll see tonight if it has cleared up that far down.

Yesterday morning at 8:10 I got a phone call at home from Maribel Koella.  She asked me if I was going to attend the 8:00 meeting at Ruby Tuesday Lodge.  Right after that Joe Swann called me with the same question.  I thought that meeting was today not yesterday.  I’ve been planning on it for weeks.  So, twelve people were there waiting for me to show up and I let them down.  This is a new group we have formed to do some planning for our County.  I told Maribel and Joe I would be there as soon as I could.

I had planned to go fishing yesterday so I was dressed in a pair of wrinkled nylon shorts, a wrinkled shirt, fishing hat and a pair of old Simms sandals.  So away I went in my fishing clothes for the 5 hour work session and lunch at RT Lodge which is a very nice place and Sandy who is Chairman of Ruby Tuesday, large business owners, government officials, tourism folks and a lot of decisions makers would be there.  I was so mad at myself for letting them down and the drive to Maryville was tense.  Then I thought about how I was dressed.  Now that made me smile. 

I walked in the meeting room and everyone smiled and I knew right then they would not let me forget about this for a while. I told them I was sorry and sat down.  The meeting resumed.  I looked around and noticed what appeared to be a couple of pair of Gucci loafers.  I was wearing basically flip flops.  During lunch I asked Joe Swann and Herb Handly, “Have you noticed that I tend to overdress?” 

You know what, I didn’t care.  And they are all my friends and they didn’t care.  Actually it was funny.  But, 25 years ago I would have been appalled.  I guess when you grow up to be 58 years old some things just don’t matter anymore.  We had a great meeting. 

Then I drove to Frank and Pat Bryant’s house on Melton Hill Lake.  They own Chota Outdoor Gear and sell us the fine wading and fishing products that we sell to you.  Frank and I were going bluegill fishing.  We strapped a canoe to the side of his pontoon boat.  We were going to be fishing some water that a boat can’t get to.  He fired up the 80 hp Yamaha and down the lake we went.  It was relaxing and what a beautiful lake Melton Hill is. 

We beached and tied off the big boat, put on our Chota Wading Shoes and started walking.  At first we wade fished some shallow water.  I was using a popper I made and he was fishing with a small wooly bugger he tied.  We started catching bluegill and bass immediately.  It felt good to be up to my waist in the water and catching some nice gills.  He was doing better than me with the wooly bugger but I like to see those fish come up, look at a popper then decide to take it or refuse it.  Either way it is fun.

About 5:00 we took a break and ate a sandwich.  Then we dropped the canoe into the water.  I tied on a #6 Stealth Bomber.  I told Frank I was going to fish for bass.  I’ve been making these things almost every night.  There’s a pile of them on my desk ranging in size from #6 up to #2.  He paddled me around the shore and those big bluegill slammed that Stealth Bomber.  They are tied on a #6 stinger bass hook but the panfish were big enough and aggressive enough to take that big fly.  We switched positions, I paddled and Frank was in the front casting that same Stealth Bomber.  Same result.  He caught big bluegill and bass.  I don’t know how many we caught.  It was a lot. The largest bluegill was 9” long.  We released them all.

I looked at my watch and it was 9:30 pm.  It was almost dark.  We paddled back to the pontoon boat, lashed the canoe back on then made the 5 mile drive back to his boat house in complete darkness.  We had a great day of fishing.  We talked about business some but the most fun conversations were about stuff we did when we were young.  We talked about squirrel hunting, rabbit hunting, frog gigging and fly fishing for bluegill with poppers.  I guess we grew up enjoying the same things.  Maybe that is why we are good friends.  I got home last night at midnight.  It was a great day, beginning to end.

Have a great day yourself and thanks for being here with us.

Byron Begley
June 25, 2009

Respond To:

Home - Contact Us - About Us - Fishing Report - Online Catalog - Message Board - Sitemap