Townsend, Tennessee - Fly Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, East Tennessee and Western North Carolina

Welcome to the Fishing Report from the Great Smoky Mountains.  It is 6:15 am, dark and 62 degrees in Townsend this morning.  The forest is wet.  It rained late yesterday afternoon and evening.  When daylight comes, I’ll go down to the barn to check the rain gauge.

Little River is flowing fairly high this morning at 291 cubic feet per second (cfs) or 2.18 feet on the flow gauge.  Median flow for this date is 119 cfs.  The water temperature is 67.3 degrees.  The water level varied most of the day yesterday, rising to 2.25 feet, down some then back up again as the scattered thunderstorms moved through.

I suspect, though I don’t know for sure, some of the streams on our side of the Smokies could be stained temporarily.  The rain is over for now and it won’t likely return until Monday. The rivers should clear up soon.  The lowland rivers are stained.  The spring creek that runs through our property is stained, though most of the water comes out of the ground nearby. 

It is going to be very cool until the weekend with highs in the 70’s today then rising to the low 80’s tomorrow.  Lows will be in the 50’s tonight through Friday night.  There is no rain in the forecast.  The weekend will be sunny and warm.

Fishing will be good for several days due to the higher water and low temperatures.  We don’t see fishing conditions this good in August often.  This has been a very nice Summer.  Rain is back in the forecast next week.  If that happens, water levels will be sustained at a good level for fishing even longer.  That is good.

Yesterday was my day off so Jack and I cut trees.  We cleared an area where the boat house will be on the lower driveway and cleared a turnaround on the upper drive.  We picked areas where big trees did not have to be removed.  I have a friend who is in the firewood and landscaping business.  He will pick up the logs, cut and split them to sell for firewood.  He will also chip all the brush piles we created to make mulch.

The excavators will be here soon.  The concrete people will be next.  Then, Jack’s framing crew will build a boat house and carport.

After we finished, Jack and I walked back to the lot Paula and I own next to the one we live on.  It is a 5.5 acre lot and the building site overlooks the spring creek. We live in a subdivision, inhabited by only 7 people in 4 houses on approximately 60 acres.  This subdivision is secluded and the road is private and marked appropriately.  We almost never see a stranger back here.  It is quiet and peaceful.  The subdivision was developed in the 80’s and sold out almost immediately.  Most of us bought two or more 5-acre lots.  The developers are brothers who live here.   

Then, we walked down to the creek.  The water was off color so we didn’t see any trout or minnows. 

We did find an area under a large walnut tree, where a bear or bears have been very active.  I haven’t seen a bear around our house all year.  They have been around here though.  They always are.  I just don’t see them often. 

I was walking down a trail and Jack was about ten feet behind me.  I heard a noise behind me.  Jack jumped over a snake.  I probably stepped on the darned thing.  Jack has seen three snakes here in two days.  I don’t see them either.  I guess I’m always looking up at the trees.

Tom sent me an e-mail, which I will answer later.  He wanted to know how I made my fly tying desk.  Actually, my desk is 8 feet long.  One end is my computer desk and the other side is for fly tying.

I bought three oak vanity cabinets at a salvage store.  Two are wide and contain three drawers each.  The third is narrow and has a small drawer and a door.  Since they are fairly high, I cut the bases off with a skill saw.

Next, I bought 4 oak steps, 4 feet long that are rounded on one end.  They are the top of the bench. 

I spaced the vanity cabinets with the larger ones on each end.  The narrow one is in the middle.  Then, I simply screwed the steps to the top with the rounded end on the front and back.  The screws were counter sunk and plugged.  I put a few coats of polyurethane on the top.  The installation process took about a day.  Lighting on the fly tying end is provided by two Giraffe lights screwed to the counter top at the fly tying station. 

I have leg room at the computer station and the tying area.  The floors in the cave are pine, so I can use a chair with wheels to move from the computer to the tying area.

All of my cameras are at the shop so I’ll pick one up today to make pictures for Tom.

I leave everything out for the pattern I’m tying so I can sit down and tie a fly anytime I want to. 

If I get tired of working on our website, I just roll over and tie a fly.  I usually tie at least one fly every day.  I find it very relaxing and I have enough flies to last the rest of my life.  I think I’ll tie a fly then go check the rain gauge.

We had .3 inches in the gauge.  It is cool out there.

Have a great day and thank you for being here with us.

Byron Begley
August 13, 2014

Respond to:

Home - Contact Us - About Us - Fishing Report - Online Catalog - Message Board - Sitemap