Townsend, Tennessee - Fly Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, East Tennessee and Western North Carolina

Welcome to the Fishing Report from the Great Smoky Mountains.  It is overcast and 52 degrees in Townsend this morning.

Welcome to the Fishing Report from the Great Smoky Mountains.  It is foggy, sunny and 57 degrees in Townsend, Tennessee this morning.  What a nice day this is going to be.  I don’t see any rain in the forecast until later this week.  It is going to cool off though.

We got a little less than ½ inch of rain yesterday and last night at the shop.  The Knoxville Airport reported slightly more. Mount LeConte got a little more than an inch.

Little River looks wonderful.  The water is flowing much higher and faster than it has been lately.  Right now, the flow is 370 cubic feet per second (cfs) or 2.45 feet on the gauge.  Median flow for this date is 136 cfs.  The water temperature is a warm 54 degrees.  The water is clear.

Due to the higher water and even with a bright sunny day expected, fishing should be very good today unless the trout are confused by the higher than normal water.  This will be a good nymphing day.  Today should also be a good day to prospect for brown trout.  They are going to love this higher water.

The streams were getting so low last week, it was hard to sneak up on the trout.  Anglers were seeing them flee for cover.  That should not be the case now. 

I did talk to some fishermen yesterday who did well.  One customer from Nashville said he did fine, fishing on Road Prong.  He said most of the brook trout were small but he did catch one about 9” long.  Another customer said he caught a bunch of nice leaves.  I think he was fishing during the time when the wind was blowing hard yesterday.  Rob Fightmaster was out all day with a client.  I left the store last night at 5:45 pm and he was just returning.  It was dark at that time.  I don’t know how well they did.

One thing I do notice about Rob and his clients, they often return late in the day.  Many clients don’t want to stay out that long.  But, if they do, Rob is willing and ready.  Maybe he gives them plenty of rest breaks during the day.  I’ll have to ask him.  But, he usually gets back to the store late.  And, his clients usually do very well.

A black bear has been hanging around Leconte Lodge.  That is not a good thing.  Allyson says they yell at the bear and he leaves but not for long.  This is a fairly large bear.  The way they deal with problem bears is by trapping them.  Then, a Park Service biologist comes up and sedates the animal.  They give the bear a health check.  After that, they let the bear wake up and wander off into the forest.  After going through that experience, the bears seldom return.  This is a win/win situation.

You can see the pictures of the whole event and read Allyson’s report by CLICKING HERE.  I love to read her blog.  Paula and I know her well.  She and her husband are the on-site managers at the lodge and she does a lot of the food preparation. 

LeConte Lodge is located in the National Park.  They are a privately owned concession.  The only way to get there is by helicopter or taking a long hike up the mountain.  They bring in supplies, food and clean laundry using their own llama train.  They have professional wranglers who make the trek to the lodge each week, guiding the llamas up the mountain with supplies.  I think they will close for the winter at the end of the month.  A caretaker will live there until the lodge re-opens next Spring. 

Maybe they will let me ride a llama up there to see Allyson some time.

A few years ago I swore I would never ride a horse again.  I grew up on a horse farm in Kentucky.  I’ve been tossed, tumbled, stomped on and kick by horses.  I’ve even had them bite me.  One time a horse threw up his head while I was standing near him, his head hit my chin, and it nearly broke my jaw.  Fly fishing drew me away from those animals and I never rode again until one day about 18 years ago.  I was invited on a twenty mile ride in the Smokies on a horse that was loaned to me for the day. 

The horse (Clyde) and I slid down a mountain, probably 100 feet in about 12 inches of snow.  I held on for dear life.  Clyde didn’t fall, thankfully.  We missed every tree by the grace of God.  He was not hurt and neither was I.  That was it for me.  I’ll pet them in the head area at a distance but that’s it.  I also watch the Kentucky Derby on television every year.

I was reading the Washington Post online early this morning.  It was an article about healthcare in Kentucky and some other states.  One of my best friends in high school, Howard Stovall, was mentioned in the article.  He owns a sign company in Lexington.  We have not spoken in decades.  I found his website and sent him an e-mail. I hope to hear back from him.  While I was writing this paragraph, my buddy Frank Brown from Kentucky called.  We started the first grade together.  Frank said they did not kill a deer this weekend.  I was in Kentucky with Frank and some other life long friends a week ago. 

I am fortunate to have friends I have known for 40 to 50 years or more and still see and talk to them often, though they live in other states or towns far away.  I talk to Frank about every week.

Have a great day and thank you for being here with us.

Byron Begley
November 18, 2013

Respond to:

Home - Contact Us - About Us - Fishing Report - Online Catalog - Message Board - Sitemap