View Full Version : boat regs and guide license

08-03-2008, 01:36 PM
TWRA has changed the boat registration for 2009 all water craft must be regs. including canoes, driftboats ,rafts,etc. with or without motors
guide license will be required

anyone else know of these changes ?

08-04-2008, 02:32 PM
This is what I saw on the TWRA web site

Boat Registration
Tennessee law requires that all mechanically powered vessels (including documented vessels) and all sailboats which are principally used in Tennessee must be registered. Mechanical propulsion includes electric trolling motors but does not include boats powered only by oars or paddles. Boats which require registration must be properly registered before using them upon any public water of Tennessee. Currently registered boats from other states may use Tennessee waters for a period not to exceed 60 consecutive days. Exception: Sailboats brought into Tennessee by persons from states that do not require numbering of sailboats are exempt from registration provided that Tennessee is not the state of principal use and that the vessel will not be used on Tennessee waters over 60 consecutive days.

08-04-2008, 02:48 PM
yes you are right that is regs as of today, my understanding is that for 2009 all new reguirements for power and non power vessels including all watercraft including canoes, driftboats, rafts etc.

08-04-2008, 08:33 PM
First I have heard of this, and guides always had to have a license. I find this hard to believe since they haven't had any meeting to pass such legislation and won't for another few months.

I may be wrong, but don't think this is true.

08-04-2008, 10:10 PM
WEASEL ! you are probably right., i just made this up. wait and see.

Byron Begley
08-05-2008, 10:52 AM
I called Frank Fiss at TWRA this morning. He is in charge of the trout program. He doesn't know of any regulation changes that have been voted on by the Wildlife Commission. He did say there is some discussion on both issues so I guess we'll just wait and see.


I didn't know you needed a guide license in Tennessee. When we were in the business we were required to buy a license to guide in the Park but that was Federal and we were not guiding out of boats. Is this a Coast Guard Captain's license?


08-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Byron, I wasn't clear before. We don't need guide licenses just fishing licenses. Why I have no idea but several TWRA guys have told me we should have fishing licenses. We do not need any sort of commercial license and no registration unless a motor is on/in the boat.

I spoke with the head dude of TWRA enforcement this morning and he laughed when I told him about this, and said there was no such legislation in the works.

For all I know I am wrong and he, but I would place my money on TWRA guys rather then internet chatter.JMO

08-06-2008, 06:31 PM
:o I, like you, will be one mad lil man! Chatter as it may seem...All things indicate such a change....I did several hours of research on this topic and everything points to another change! TWRA made the 07/08' changes to make up the difference they lacked in license sales! Now, I know Bryon said at the beginning of the year that they were selling licenses like mad, but I beg wonder the question as to what we did year long and throughout the state! I'd say get ready to have the ol wallet hit! Though I thought registering a boat was the same as registering a car, a % of the vehicle's retail value, I was pleasently surprised to find that it's a fee based on the size of your vessel!

Either way get ready! PS, I've learned to take Bill's word on things he's never steered me or my father wrong and the man knows what he's talking about!


08-11-2008, 07:36 AM
They raised the registration fee for motor boats, starting next year.