PDA

View Full Version : Trout Fest Here I come

Rodonthefly
05-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Bluegrass, BBQ, Fly Rods and great folks!!!!!! I'm more excited then a retard at chucky Cheese :biggrin:

See you all in the morning.

ChemEAngler
05-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Planning on being there tomorrow morning around 10:00.

Hope to meet lots of forum buddies.

MadisonBoats
05-14-2010, 11:35 AM
I hope the weather treats everyone right this year! The rain was blah last year....I am going to try and get up there Saturday - Noonish if I can.

purple squirrel
05-14-2010, 12:18 PM
On the way myself :smile:, put in 4 hrs at work and headed out. Looking forward to meeting some of guys too. If you see a dude driving around in a PURPLE Z71 looking lost it'll be me :rolleyes: so be kind.

Tarheelflyfishing
05-14-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm leaving town here in about 2 hours. I'm looking forward to it! I'll be there all day tomorrow. Hope everyone has fun.

Wilson10
05-14-2010, 01:50 PM
See ya'll there in the morning. Looking forward to it!!!!

MadisonBoats
05-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Nice meeting you Rod and Adam...I appreciate all the hard work LRO has put in to Troutfest...but, I think it would be a good idea to focus on quality and not quantity when it comes to time lines. Honestly, I doubt I will drive up for another one. It is kind of a walk through and then you are done.....

Rodonthefly
05-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah good to meet you all too, I meet a few guys from here toay. Good guys!

I have to tip my hat to LRO, and all the hard work, I truly enjoyed it. Lefty, sure made me relize a few things I can do better, that man is truly a top knotch guy.

Thanks again, now back to fishing

Rod

Trip
05-15-2010, 10:51 PM
I walked around a bit, didn't get a schedule til after I left. Was hoping to meet Jim Casada, but I think he was giving a presentation when I was there. I think I met his wife, lol. BBQ was good and I got me a Troutfest hat. This was my first year, so I have nothing to compare it too.

Who ever got the Hawaiian Ice Vendor, kudos to you. We use to have snoball stands all over my hometown in Louisiana, it was awesome to get a Tigers Blood snoball and relive the childhood memories.

Tarheelflyfishing
05-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Had a blast at Troutfest today. Met a lot of great folks. I'm still in amazement on how much improvement has occured sinced last year. Everything is bigger and better. I can't begin to imagine what Troutfest 2011 is going to be like. HUGE thanks to LRO and LRTU and everyone helping out with Troutfest. All of the hard work payed off. Hope everyone had a great time (or will have a great time if you are attending TF tomorrow).

Troutman
05-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Nice meeting you Rod and Adam...I appreciate all the hard work LRO has put in to Troutfest...but, I think it would be a good idea to focus on quality and not quantity when it comes to time lines. Honestly, I doubt I will drive up for another one. It is kind of a walk through and then you are done.....

Can you elaborate more on the quality and not quantity area. I don't understand what your saying. pretty much all the top manufactures were represented with displays and reps to answer questions about their products. There are some of the best nationally known fly designers and tiers there teaching and sharing tips to becoming a better fly tier. Fly shops from across the region along with several guide services were there. There were double the amount of vendors and I liked the way the fly tiers were scattered thoughout rather than bunched up in one area. I thought it was much better than last year.
The only thing would change is tone down the music. it was way too loud early in the day and many people were complaning about that. You had a hard time hearing people speak in Tent B because of the music. The ice cream vendor needs to move his diesel motor to the side or back of his display. I know several of us in Tent B were getting sick from the fumes. I went home at 3pm with a headache from it.

GrouseMan77
05-16-2010, 08:54 AM
I think it would be a good idea to focus on quality and not quantity when it comes to time lines. Honestly, I doubt I will drive up for another one.

Just because I am curious, please be more specific.

Sorry Troutman, guess we were typing at the same time.

Birdman
05-16-2010, 10:25 AM
I attended my first TroutFest yesterday and I thought it was great! I'm sure I walked by many of you here but don't know your faces. I was able to meet JoeFred and his son and see JF's work. Very nice people and very great work JF is doing with his maps. Ian and Charity Rutter were very nice and had a great presentation on Hazel Creek. I was also fortunate enough to meet Jim Casada and attend his seminar on "Back of Beyond", which was a real treat. Jim is a true son of the smokies and a pleasure to be around. To top it off I was taught fly casting by none other than Bob Clouser and Lefty Kreh! Man, what a day!!! :biggrin:

Thanks to all those that make TroutFest possible and keep up the great work.

rivergal
05-16-2010, 01:07 PM
I had a great time at Troutfest! I enjoyed chatting with Jim Casada and his charming wife. What a fantastic group of folks all in the same place! Fly Fishing folks sure are friendly ! I got a lot of tips and helpful advice from nice people. Now I am all fired up to go fishing again now that turkey season is closed!

mcfly
05-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Just because I am curious, please be more specific.

Sorry Troutman, guess we were typing at the same time.

I agree with Madison. There is no doubt that here were some quality vendors there, but the layout was hard to follow. It would have been nice if there were more cohesion/logic in the layout (ie, guide services together, equipment vendors in one spot, arts in one area, fly tyers in one spot, etc).

Also, I looked for Joe Humphrey's casting demonstration and could not find it. I would have stayed for Lefty's clinic, but just simply could not bear to listen to that music any longer, so I went fishing the rest of the day instead. I did not stop at any vendors outside that were in front of the band area because of the music. Would love to see that dropped in the future!

Overall, I enjoyed the event and would love to come back to see Lefty next year, but as in anything, there is always room for improvement.

purple squirrel
05-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Saturday I attened my 1st, but not last, Troutfest and had a nice time. I woke up Saturday morning a little quezzy and wasn't in the best condition to really enjoy much of anything.
I got to talk with Jim Casada who was just as nice in person as he was when he welcomed me to the forum (see "Newbie from Bama" in New Members Board).
Joe Humphrey was very kind and took the time to explain some of his tying tips to a Newbe fly tyer (I was sitting there while the lady in the shear blouse and black bra:redface: was videoing him)
Being new to flyfishing and tying the biggest deal for me was to finally met Cassie Lo Sulzby and watch her tie. She is from my neck of the woods and has several of her flies for sale at Riverside Fly Shop, on the Sipsey Fork of the Black Warrior River. She was also the best looking fly tyer that I saw there :biggrin:.
I liked the part of having the tyers spread out, it kept people from packing up in one area and passing right through others. I personally do not care for the arts and crafts but know some that do, need something for all. The music was good but a bit loud, the icecream booth needs to be moved away from enclosed areas :mad:. Need to make sure the grass is mowed a little better in the area.
All in all enjoyed myself and look forward to next year and better health ;)

mlstiehl
05-17-2010, 08:27 AM
TroutFest is put on by Little River Chapter Trout Unlimited, not by LRO.
LRO is a great sponsor of Little River Chapter TU.
I hope you were not lead to believe the LRO was the sponsor. The majority of the volunteers are LRCTU.

Thanks,
Mike

MadisonBoats
05-17-2010, 01:10 PM
I was not trying to be the sour puss of the event. It is great that an organization takes on all the work to put on an event for us to attend. I guess, I was just trying to offer some ideas on how to make things better. Maybe just a banquet night and a one day event? Also, I felt a little lost with the layout. No worries...

Thanks for the hardwork!

Paula Begley
05-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Just to reiterate what Mike Stiehl said, Troutfest is an event put on by the Little River Chapter of Trout Unlimited.

The only role Little River Outfitters has is as a sponsor; Byron has been the Chairman the last two years and I have been on the Executive Committee. We do take a role in talking up the event on our website and message board and in the fishing report. We do this because we feel like we can get the word out to many more people using our forums; we never intended for anyone to assume that the event was a Little River Outfitters event. I'm sorry if anyone was under that impression.

We appreciate ALL of the feedback given by everyone. I've made notes and in the committee post-event meeting we will take each and every one of the comments into consideration for next year.

Thanks to all who made this event happen! That includes vendors, sponsors, volunteers, attendees and donors. The money that is donated to the GSMNP would never happen without everyone.

Paula

Rodonthefly
05-17-2010, 05:02 PM
No thank you Paula and Byron and everyone else up there. I tip my hat!!!

Looking forward to next year.

Rodney

Chota Guy
05-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Hey, Its growing and generating more revinue, and everyone who comes enjoys it. Thats all that matters. Ill be back next year.

Maurer
05-18-2010, 10:42 AM
I would like to say thank you to everyone that worked on and attended Troutfest 2010. I must say I'm glad it's over, I'm tired, and I'm sure many others are as well. I did muster enough reserves to wear them out on Abrams last night!

I feel very fortunate to be apart of a group (LRCTU and others) that work so well together and make so many sacrifices for such a great cause.

I think feedback, both good and bad is great, but lets keep it on a positive note. We need to know where to imporve and what we did good, but remember there are a lot of people that are still feeling the effects of busting thier butts all weekend. Troutfest takes thousands of volunteer hours to pull off.

So, please let the comments good and bad flow, but please elaborate on your responses, so that we can continue to get better.

Chota Guy
05-18-2010, 10:46 AM
The only complaint I heard was that the Saturday electric band was too loud. The folks in tent B had to yell to communicate.

JoeFred
05-19-2010, 06:36 AM
I attended my first TroutFest yesterday... I was able to meet JoeFred and his son and see JF's work. Very nice people and very great work JF is doing with his maps...

Birdman, it was nice meeting you. David and I appreciate your kind words. We were able to meet many great anglers, from some as young as 9 to one gentleman who has fished the streams since '49. We got some great input on how to make the maps better. Lookin' forward to Troutfest 2011.

JF

Wilson10
05-19-2010, 07:53 AM
please let the comments good and bad flow, but please elaborate on your responses, so that we can continue to get better.

A designated casting area is needed next year.

Rodonthefly
05-19-2010, 08:24 AM
A designated casting area is needed next year.

Yes very true, I felt bad for casting over grandpaws grave.

Byron Begley
05-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks to all of you who worked and participated this year. Keep talking. We're listening. I will be in a boat all day with Jack Gregory who is one of the driving forces of the event. We'll be casting wooly buggers for smallmouth bass. But I know the conversation will be "Troutfest". All comments will be noted and considered so please let us know what you think.

Byron

MadisonBoats
05-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Forgot to mention that I enjoyed meeting Joe Fred and chatting about his maps and the ideas he is working on for future maps. What a kind and enjoyable person to talk to...Keep up the great work and I now you will be the first place I look for in choosing a map; especially for all the freestone streams in the Smokeys I have not hit...

JoeFred
05-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks, Shawn, for being an encourager from the beginning. I'm really glad to have met you as well.
JF