PDA

View Full Version : Caney Fork: fishing kayak recommendations?

HomeB4Dark
10-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Guys I live over in the Nashville area and am wanting to pick out a stable fly fishing kayak to fish the Caney with. I think I'd like to keep the length to a max of 12 feet. I want a sit-on type and not a sit-in type and I do have a pickup. Any recommendations I should consider? Thanks. Harry

Stonefly
10-14-2014, 01:20 PM
I fished with a friend last week who brought a Native Watercraft that was very nice, though it was a sit-in rather than sit-on. And I know they're pretty expensive. Tennessee-made too.

steve

HomeB4Dark
10-15-2014, 11:36 PM
Thanks Stonefly. Will check that brand out. Had a guy tell me Jackson kayaks are good choices as well as Nucanoe. And there is supposed to be some kayak now with outriggers seen on the Caney. And I think it is a Freedom Hawk but I've not seen it myself. Harry

silvercreek
10-17-2014, 11:16 AM
In the past after the season, Canoe the Caney has sold used yaks. They also sell new boats according to their website.

HomeB4Dark
10-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Thanks I'll check that out too.

silvercreek
10-22-2014, 09:39 AM
As a plus, you can try them before you buy.

FOX
10-22-2014, 09:50 AM
I have a Hobie Pro Angler 12 which is not only very stable, but pedal driven. In my opinion that is the only way to go fishing wise. I can stand to cast, pass electric powered canoes, and even pull small boats. With little effort I can cruise @2mph for hours if needed. The cadence is back and forth vs round and round like a bicycle which makes it very easy on the joints.

I use to fish out of a canoe, but since then I have owned 3 Hobie Outbacks, 1 Hobie Tandem, Two Hobie Revolution, and 1 Hobie Pro Angler 12. I towed in a 18' osagian canoe along with two small kids with their mother back to the ramp during a pretty rough pop up thunderstorm last summer against the wind and waves. It also has the most comfortable seat in the buisness, easy steer rudder control, and a built in transducer mount. I wouldn't own any other brand kayak.

HomeB4Dark
11-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Thanks, I'll check out the Hobie Pro as well. Harry

lexfly
11-16-2014, 04:17 PM
I have never fished the caney fork but I fish the Cumberland river frequently. I have a jackson coosa that I couldnt b happier with. It is designed for river fishing. U can allegedly stand up in it although I am too chicken to try

Byron Begley
11-18-2014, 09:48 PM
My wife and I each have Wilderness Systems Ride 135 kayaks. If fact, we bought them a Cumberland Transit in Nashville where you live. We love them. Those boats have endured 3 foot swells in the Gulf. We don't use them in fresh water much. They will also run in just a few inches of water, maybe 3".

That is important to us since we often encounter very shallow water where we fish.

Paula dropped some expensive pliers overboard this Spring in the Gulf. She was in about 5 feet of water. She was able dive down to retrieve the pliers, then climb back in the kayak without tipping it over.

Ours are the older models. The newer ones have better seating. I know they are longer than your specifications. But, they are very stable.

One of my best friends just bought a Jackson Big Rig. He tried a narrower kayak and flipped it over with the seat in the high position.

We have a kayak trailer and that helps when using heavy boats. No more trying to hoist them onto a roof rack which killed my back.

By the way, I'm too chicken to stand in mine too. You don't need to. You can get so close to fish, casting a fly to them is not a problem.

Byron

mattblick
11-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Another recommendation for Native kayaks (http://www.nativewatercraft.com/). My Father-In-Law has a 12 and a 14.5 Ultimate series. I use them more often than he does.

I really their hybrid design. You have gunwhales to keep you drier but you are not enclosed like a "sit in". In colder weather you can choose to enclose the boat with snap on skirts. I use seat riser accessory to sit higher without trying to stand.

They have a new "ultimate FX" series that has some design improvements, looks like you can raise the seat without the accessory, anchor trollies are standard, etc. http://www.nativewatercraft.com/video.cfm?id=12 (http://www.nativewatercraft.com/video.cfm?id=126)

HomeB4Dark
11-22-2014, 10:09 AM
Thanks Byron. I went over to Cumberland Transit and talked to Grumpy and after looking at their kayaks, I looked at the Jackson kayak Big Rig. I really like the big rig but man, it's heavy at 98 lbs empty. At this point, this is my favorite. Will check out a kayak trailer next. Thanks again Byron. Harry

Hoosier
11-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Fox

Do you fish the Hobie On the Caney with no generators? Just wonder how if you do how do you deal with the turbo fins at low water/shoals/riffle sections?

Bran
11-26-2014, 10:19 AM
I still have 2 Native U12's for sale, one poly and one Tegris, both olive green with some accesories.