PDA

View Full Version : best all around boat?

flyguys
03-02-2015, 09:35 PM
When and if I get to move out after retirement, what type of boat should one look at to buy that would tick most all the boxes for a good boat? Looking to downsize from my 18 foot bass boat and go with something smaller for lakes and tailwaters. Deep-v, semi-v, old school flatbottom? Not looking to much for a driftboat, too old to get started learning something like that. All info is appreciated, and personal preferences are a plus! flyguys

MadisonBoats
03-03-2015, 07:18 AM
Look for a 1960s FeatherCraft model "Fisher". Excellent for rivers and takes a beating like no other. It has a super fast transition in the bow to beam and flares out towards the back for extra stability while casting.

Grannyknot
03-03-2015, 03:27 PM
mod-v jon boat.
jack of all trades, master of none.

Troutman
03-04-2015, 10:53 AM
12 ft canoe or kayak. Properly rigged for fishing, you have a great platform to fish out of that requires no gas, no registration, no boat ramp and very little maintenance. It is a great way to enjoy being out on the water, and you generally see more wildlife around you since it is a very quiet way to fish.
I enjoy fishing from my jon boat to, but the canoe is what I seem to prefer to use on rivers or for quick trips on those small streams that no regular boat can go.

dmunger
03-04-2015, 11:13 PM
I am partial, but look into a Gheenoe Classic. It is a 15'6 boat. Here is my boat, a 15'4 Highsider.
http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag13/dmmunger/5918e803-a755-4c89-a154-c6bba72c95cb_zpscoqml5tb.jpg
These boats are very customizable and versatile. Mine is perfect for what I want, but if you are coming from an 18 ft bass boat, a Classic would be a little wider than mine and a bit more stable. They draft very shallow, and you can put trolling motor, casting platforms, seats, oar frames, you name it. There's a lot of good information out there about them, I just bought mine and did a lot of research, so let me know if you have any questions!

Grumpy
03-05-2015, 08:26 AM
I've fished from them all, there isn't one, that's why you need at least 3 of them:eek:

Joe Congleton
03-05-2015, 09:41 AM
this ^^^^^^

MadisonBoats
03-05-2015, 11:53 AM
When and if I get to move out after retirement, what type of boat should one look at to buy that would tick most all the boxes for a good boat? Looking to downsize from my 18 foot bass boat and go with something smaller for lakes and tailwaters. Deep-v, semi-v, old school flatbottom? Not looking to much for a driftboat, too old to get started learning something like that. All info is appreciated, and personal preferences are a plus! flyguys

Flyguys, if you are an older gentleman and worried about safety. I would not even consider a canoe or Gheenoe for fly fishing. These boats are great for the young guys who can still knee paddle and have excellent agility. However; their stability is extremely prone to subtle changes in water flow, rain, fisherman's gear, etc....You will find yourself chasing your tail in trying to balance these boats for most fly fishing expeditions. I personally see about a dozen canoes flip/capsize a year on the Clinch and rarely do I see any other boat do the same. Also; do not even consider a kayak unless you just want to paddle down small streams and high-stick for fish. These rigs will beat up an older soul. Don't get me wrong; these streamlined boats are great for the right people. However; I am not close to retirement and I do not feel I can handle them to be safe. So; I just wanted to state this aspect to guide you towards a stable and safe platform in finding a good boat.

Hoosier
03-05-2015, 01:37 PM
If you are considering a new boat and want it customized to what you want done, you might want to consider giving Mike Batcke from Steathcraft Boats a call. He builds several models, drifters, power drifters, sleds, hybrids, flats, pontoon rafts... all sizes and shapes. If you give him an idea of what you want he can customize. Great guy who will treat you right. Can't say enough good things about him, his crew, and his boats. http://www.stealthcraftboats.com/

flyguys
03-10-2015, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the info guys! Shawn, not old just retired. I am 49 years old and just recently sold our grocery store. Been doing it for 25 years. Thats long enough to be on your feet for 10-12 hours a day six days a week. My family has been blessed through hard work now its time to do a little more fishing. Looking to move out there in a year or two, just trying to get my ducks in a row so I can hit the water when we do get out there.

MadisonBoats
03-11-2015, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the info guys! Shawn, not old just retired. I am 49 years old and just recently sold our grocery store. Been doing it for 25 years. Thats long enough to be on your feet for 10-12 hours a day six days a week. My family has been blessed through hard work now its time to do a little more fishing. Looking to move out there in a year or two, just trying to get my ducks in a row so I can hit the water when we do get out there.

Sorry to allude to any inhibitions with my suggestions.:redface: I only wanted to help you be mindful of safety and stability on the rivers. You are definitely not old and I am just eight years shy of you.

I would suggest you look at a nice semi-V to flat aluminum boat and rig it with a 55# trolling motor. You can dress a boat out like this for fly fishing for a very affordable budget and they make for great boats on the river. Add a nice 15hp motor and you can fish the river during generation with a nice stable platform.

flyguys
03-12-2015, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys!

billyspey
03-12-2015, 09:43 PM
What Grumpy said

g022271
03-27-2015, 06:46 AM
Hey Flyguy, I was a sales rep for a national company and called on grocery stores for over 25 years. What town in west Tn was your store located? If it's kinda where I think it is, you probably never saw the rep from my company. Lazy.

Mike

flyguys
03-30-2015, 07:46 PM
Mike, We are on the ky/tn state line. We live in the town of south fulton tn and our store was across the state line in fulton ky. It was a good store, but after about 25 years on your feet on solid concrete it was time to get out. I wanted to have some leg power left in the old body to do some hiking and fishing in the Smokys!:smile: P.S.- we are a small market, we didn't see too many sales reps in our store after Wal-Mart went big in their superstores.

g022271
03-31-2015, 07:35 AM
Flyguys....I'm real familiar with that area being that I went to school just 10 miles down the road from s Fulton for 4 1/2 yrs. I ate quite a few ŕibs and a lot of white beans at the Keg. Is it still there? ? Also knew a guy named Greg Bondurant from s. Fulton. Do you know him? Also a guy named Carnel Smith.
Mike

flyguys
03-31-2015, 06:18 PM
Mike, Don't know either guys you mentioned. The Keg is still there, our store was right behind the place, across the street from Turner Dairies. Our store used to be and A&P and then my father in law, Charles Collom and a guy by the name of Joe Key opened it up in 1982 as a Pic Pac. Where are you now? Anywhere around here? Flyguys

g022271
03-31-2015, 11:33 PM
Flyguys....I was at UTM in the earlly 70's,,; it's hard to believe that the Keg is still there! !. What whslr. did you pull from? iI live i
North knoxville and I am 61. I backpacked and camped throughout the Smokies for years before I began to fly fish. I began fly fishing about 7 yrs ago but my ability to fish in the park is now greatly limited due my being diagnosed with PD 11 years ago. I mainly fish tailwaters for trout and upper rivers for smallies. There are many guys around here who are lots better fishing than me, but any time you are in east Tennessee and want to fish, just let me know ..
Mike

flyguys
04-01-2015, 10:06 AM
Mike, Over the years we pulled from a variety of wholesalers. Malone and Hyde, then Roundy's when fleming bought Malone and Hyde. Went back to Fleming and then switched to AWG out of Sringfield MO, then pulled from AWG Southaven MS after Awg bought the Fleming assets after Fleming went belly up. Thanks for the invite for the fishing trip. My son and I would be grateful for the time on the water with someone with more knowledge than either one of us. Thanks again!!Flyguys

01tundra
04-12-2016, 05:54 PM
Flyguys - Ex Stanley Jones Corporation employee here.

I currently work with several ex-employees from there, but we're now in middle TN. Small World!

If you're ever coming through the Nashville area I've got a great pond to throw some fly line at :biggrin:

flyguys
04-17-2016, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the invite. If I ever get out that way i'll be sure to holler at ya!!

Nate L
04-17-2016, 08:33 PM
My vote would be Towee. Made in McMinnville.

http://toweemarine.com

smctrout
07-05-2016, 02:43 PM
There is a Feathercraft (probably) Fisher for sale for $350 in Andersonville on today's (7/5/2016) craigslist for the Knoxville area.

MadisonBoats
07-05-2016, 05:30 PM
There is a Feathercraft (probably) Fisher for sale for $350 in Andersonville on today's (7/5/2016) craigslist for the Knoxville area.

I would be all over this boat if it is a Fisher Model. That is the make and model I have and it is unbelievably reliable, perfectly balanced, and has a shallow draft.:smile:

flyguys
07-05-2016, 09:19 PM
Thanks for all the info guys!! Our search is over. My dad, 81 years old, just gave my son and I his dads boat. My son is thrilled to be using his great grand dads boat! It is a 1957 Arkansas Traveler. v-hull, Three original wood seats, still in great condition. 15 horsepower johnson motor, plus a trolling motor to boot. We have used it a few times on Reelfoot lake which is about 30 minutes from our home. Great bluegill boat! Can't wait to try it out on some trout waters. Any suggestions for any updates and accesories would be greatly appreciated! Flyguys!!:smile:

smctrout
07-05-2016, 10:48 PM
I would be all over this boat if it is a Fisher Model. That is the make and model I have and it is unbelievably reliable, perfectly balanced, and has a shallow draft.:smile:

Is it a Fisher?

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa/5606325658.html

technowannabe
07-07-2016, 11:36 AM
I know "flyguys" original questions has been answered and he found his dreamboat... but for the sake of future reference for those that might stumble on this thread in the future: I love my Towee. Didn't know that's what I wanted when I moved down here 3 years ago, but after a LOT of research into the options and spending time on the water here in the places I like to fish it became clear to me that a Towee was the "right" boat for most of what I want to do most of the time. We drove to coastal Georgia last year on my birthday to pick up a used one the had only the motor. Since then, I've added the aluminum rowing frame and some Sawyer shoal cut oars to go with it (great for floating the big tailwaters, driftboat style) And I just added a chartplotter/fish finder I got for my birthday this year - works great on the lakes. Now, if I can just score the jet outboard for it I'll be cookin'!!!

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s599/technowannabe/Towee.4Runner.June.2016_zpsvgzrubnn.png

flyguys
07-07-2016, 01:36 PM
Good looking set-up!!

Sandman
07-07-2016, 03:31 PM
I also have a towee. Love it. And yes, you need a jet for it :)