PDA

View Full Version : 3 day kayak trip suggestions

lexfly
04-17-2015, 01:19 PM
My friend and I were tossing around the idea of taking a 3 day kayak fishing trip this fall instead of our usual 3 day backpacking trip. Here are our wishes/requirements:
Starting from Lexington KY so the closer to it the better
Fish: Trout (1) or Smallmouth (1A)
Water: Class 1 to 2
Camping: We are hammock campers so we would prefer to camp streamside or on an island. More secluded the better.
I don't know all these rivers so am looking for input on the feasibility of these suggestions (or others) especially concerning the camping aspect.
So here are some of the ideas I have and was hoping to get input from everyone.
KY: Green River, Cumberland River below Wolf Creek
TN: Caney Fork, Hiwassee, Clinch (above the lake), Holston, Watauga
WV: Greenbrier
VA: James, Shenandoah, Branch of the Potomac
MO: Current river
Anyone have any experience/feedback on these ideas? Thx in advance.

elkhaircaddis
04-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Big south fork?

lexfly
04-18-2015, 12:12 AM
Thought about BSF. I have not fished it. I thought it was mostly a whitewater stream?

elkhaircaddis
04-18-2015, 08:07 PM
This time of year the water can get crazy but the gauge at leatherwood ford on usgs website will let ya know what's going on. The fishing is pretty good for warm water species, smallmouth rock bass and sunfish. Have even got some gar and catfish

mtnman
04-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Big South Fork fits the bill pretty perfectly, but do your research and carry a well marked map -- there are 2 portages on the most commonly floated section of river, one of which I believe is a class III and the other a class IV which has claimed several lives.

Otherwise, BSF would be relatively close for you guys and make for a leisurely 3 day float with some great warm water fishing (specifically smallmouth).

lexfly
04-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Thx I will definitely check that out. I thought about the little south fork too so will look at it as well

Backtrax
04-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Thought about BSF. I have not fished it. I thought it was mostly a whitewater stream?

It depends on the section of the river and the time of the year for whitewater on the Big South Fork. The Leatherwood Ford to Blue Heron section is a good two day float in a canoe with two portages. If you are fishing hard you can easily make it a 3 day float. There is an outfitter that will even do shuttles for you and rent boats if needed. The section of the main river from Leatherwood Ford in TN and Yammacraw Bridge in KY can be fished with a license from either state.

I live in the area and if you want more info on the Big South Fork let me know.

lexfly
04-28-2015, 10:50 PM
Thx for all the info. We r probably going with the BSF before going out of state. Maybe the Cumberland if we can work out campsites below the dam. Not going till fall so I will share the plans as we get closer. Thx again!

Joe Congleton
04-30-2015, 05:50 PM
Camping on streams with privately owned banks can be iffy. Im sure you know that. Upper Clinch is "iffy" in that regard IMO.

flyman01
05-01-2015, 07:22 AM
I am not sure what the regulations are for camping on public land along TVA controlled rivers. I do know that it is posted at the Hiwassee that camping within 1/4 mile of the river is prohibited. Cumberland is TVA controlled as well so you may want to look into that beforehand if that is the river you choose.

Joe Congleton
05-01-2015, 08:27 AM
Cumberland below Wolfe Creek is Corps of Engineers controlled but the dam reservation s only a short stretch under dam. . Not TVA fwiw. Downstream Privately owned. Some islands and bars seem to be regular camping spots but l would be careful choosing my spot.

BSF is in National Recreation area and if you are in the Yammacraw to Leatherwood it is camp anywhere. At certain water levels BSF can be either dangerous or a boat drag. Having gone through Devils Jump (the class IV) at one am in an open canoe due to low water level issues (we made it luckily) an d lost a lot of gear in same place due to high-water issues l suggest you scout it well .

flyman01
05-01-2015, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=Joe Congleton;115082]Cumberland below Wolfe Creek is Corps of Engineers controlled but the dam reservation s only a short stretch under dam. . Not TVA fwiw.

Thanks Joe, I stand corrected. I have always gone to the TVA website to see the release schedule and assumed TVA controlled. I looked closer and now see the little note at the bottom of the page that states the dam is owned and operated by the army corps of engineers......learn something new everyday.