PDA

View Full Version : Passing the baton

Grannyknot
07-14-2015, 10:15 AM
My son (4) got a lesson in aquatic insects from John Thurman the other day.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/Backpacking/IMG_1059_zps2vwd84gw.jpg

I rarely take a rod when camping with the family, unless its a special circumstance. I don't like leaving my wife with both kids, plus I tend to get carried away and fish much longer and further from camp than intended. But crosby has shown some interest in fishing with flies recently so I decided to pack a rod for our backpacking trip last weekend.

The problem for us has always been that 1 of the kids had to be carried up the trail. This would be Crosby's first time hiking in, but his little sister needed to be carried, so that leaves dad to act as family Sherpa and carry all the gear. How am I supposed to get all this stuff in that backpack?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/Backpacking/DSCN5320_zpssxnxqq4i.jpg

Well, somehow I did. Completely maxed out an 80L pack. That pack carries a heavy load so well. Can't exactly say the same about my hips. Grouseman and Spotlight have seen me lug "the fridge" up and down deep creek. Luckily this wouldn't be such a long hike. That is me up ahead with the fridge on my back.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/Backpacking/untitled_zpssgr1kwd0.png

We made it to camp just in time for the rain, so we quickly strung up a tarp to take shelter and eat some sandwiches while the clouds did their thing.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/Backpacking/DSCN5326_zpsl8ro0tb8.jpg

The rains let up about an hour later and so we set up the tent, the kids threw some rocks in the creek and got nice and dirty in the mud. Mom went to put sister down for a nap and Crosby mentioned that he wanted to go fishing. I strung up the rod and let him pick a dry fly. He picked a yellow neversink caddis. Wouldn't have been my choice, but probably the easiest for him to see and keep afloat without much trouble.

The 8' four wt was probably a little much for him. He had a little trouble keeping his rod tip up. But I gave him some pointers, knowing a good drift would never be achieved at the expense of the constant need to cast. But he did pretty well.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/Backpacking/DSCN5331_zpspbb9dwva.jpg

The as luck would have it, it happened. Right as he was about to pull the fly out of the water to cast again, a fish hit the fly, and he inadvertently set the hook. It is a miracle the fish stayed on, because I had forgot to show him how to bring it in. First he went for the reel, I told him to pull the line, but he couldn't manage, so he just used the rod to drag it in.

A fine looking brook trout.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/Backpacking/DSCN5333_zpsj0t3jhx2.jpg

He was worried about the hook removal process. Did it hurt the fish, did the fish tell its friends that hooks hurt, etc etc. He said he wanted to let it go back to its family, so we let it swim off, and in an attempt to end things on a high note and save some anticipation for the next trip, we headed back to camp.

Cheers,
Cody

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/Backpacking/DSCN5334_zpsnzge6whl.jpg

elkhaircaddis
07-14-2015, 11:20 AM
Awesome, thanks for the great pics

buzzmcmanus
07-14-2015, 12:15 PM
At least you saved enough room in the pack for some good beer! Awesome report.

Grannyknot
07-14-2015, 12:51 PM
At least you saved enough room in the pack for some good beer! Awesome report.

The dogs carry the beer. :biggrin:

Joe Congleton
07-14-2015, 04:19 PM
You had a real outing. That really is a fine picture of John T. Best l've seen in a long time. Nobody can wear a pair of waders like John. Sometimes he thinks he looks so good in them that he wears two pairs,but it looks like you caught him on a one pair day. Im sure he will appreciates you putting that up there ! ::biggrin:

Those who know him well understand that John would rather teach that youngster all about streams, trout and invertebrate bugs than go fishing himself. You were lucky to run in to him! I'm sure that encounter made John's day

duckypaddler
07-14-2015, 05:03 PM
Great post!

Pretty nice Brookie for a first catch:biggrin:

Love to see families spending time in the great outdoors.

Since I am like you and have to haul the gear for the whole family, I bought Neoairs to replace my old Thermarest Mattresses. They are pricey, but can be found pretty easily used which is what I did. You could save 10 pounds and quite a bit of volume allowing you to ALWAYS take your fishing rod "just in case". In my last 3 overnighters with the family I have taken my fishing rod every time, but only pulled it out once:frown: so I do understand priorities change.

Keep the posts coming:biggrin:

David Knapp
07-14-2015, 06:41 PM
I think this I some of the best trip reports I have seen! It is always good to see kids being introduced to the sport. Hopefully you have a fishing buddy for life in the making there.

mtnman2888
07-14-2015, 08:32 PM
Great report and pics! Kudos to you for passing on your love for the outdoors and fly fishing to your son, it's something that will stick with him for the rest of his life. I was once that young boy and I can tell you that, no matter how far away I get from fishing, I still get drawn back due to those times I spent with my father outdoors.

I often worry about what will happen to our beloved national parks and forests, but posts like these give me hope that future generations will fight for their protection and conservation to ensure that they will endure long beyond our years.

Grannyknot
07-15-2015, 11:47 AM
Since I am like you and have to haul the gear for the whole family, I bought Neoairs to replace my old Thermarest Mattresses. They are pricey, but can be found pretty easily used which is what I did. You could save 10 pounds and quite a bit of volume allowing you to ALWAYS take your fishing rod "just in case". In my last 3 overnighters with the family I have taken my fishing rod every time, but only pulled it out once:frown: so I do understand priorities change.

Most of our gear is 10+ years old from when I used to work at an outdoor store and got discounts. The neo airs are nice though. The exped inflatables are very nice too. Unfortunately, I'm really not in a position to invest in 4 new sleeping pads.

Grannyknot
07-15-2015, 11:55 AM
I think this I some of the best trip reports I have seen! It is always good to see kids being introduced to the sport. Hopefully you have a fishing buddy for life in the making there.

Thanks David.
I would love for him to take up the sport, but I'm not pushing him. If he shows interest or asks about something I let him try it out. He tied a fly the other night. It looked pretty funny.

Grannyknot
07-15-2015, 11:58 AM
I often worry about what will happen to our beloved national parks and forests, but posts like these give me hope that future generations will fight for their protection and conservation to ensure that they will endure long beyond our years.

Craig, there is hope. I have several friends with kids who strive to get their kids outdoors and into our parks & forests as much as possible. I actually think this generation will be better stewards than my age group has been.