PDA

View Full Version : Marine Battery

duckypaddler
08-09-2015, 08:33 AM
Its time for me to replace my old Marine Battery. My problem is I hardly ever use it (twice/year) and am looking for the cheapest way to keep me on the water. I have a cheap battery charger, but nothing that does any trickle charging that I can leave it hooked up to. I'm not sure if I would be better off just replacing my cheap Advance Auto parts battery every 2-3 years like I have been doing or if there is a better/ cheaper way. I'm willing to spend more money if I get longer use, but not sure where the point of diminishing returns kicks in. I use this battery to power the canoe with a little trolling motor, but also want to start using it on my raft with motor mount. And yes I registered my boats:smile:

Thanks in advance

elkhaircaddis
08-09-2015, 05:26 PM
All batteries are really the same (Chicago or Pittsburgh from what I've heard) until you start getting into the gel ones. They should last you more than 2-3 years though. I have used ever start batteries (wal mart) that have lasted me 5+ yrs several times. Recently I have been getting mine from academy sports, exide brand. Good so far. I have also had good luck with dura last from autozone and something craft from advanced auto. Interstate batteries seem to last maybe 6-8 yrs instead of 5-7 for an extra 20$ or so. The key is to make sure water covers the lead plates throughout it's life and try not to bang it around if you can

duckypaddler
08-10-2015, 07:36 AM
Ended up buying one at Advance. I had a 20% coupon I stacked with a $20 off $50 or more purchase. Out the door for $51:biggrin:

The wife and I had a great time on the lake. The boys were both bored out of their minds. I guess after the Hiawassee on Wednesday, the lake seems pretty tame:rolleyes:

I guess I just need to make sure I charge it right away, etc.

I also think I'm gonna replace my cheap charger with the one Shawn recommended in his DIY trolling motor post since my current one doesn't have trickle charging and is only $50

elkhaircaddis
08-10-2015, 06:32 PM
Schumaker is the best brand battery charger, has been for half a century or more

MadisonBoats
08-11-2015, 06:24 AM
Ended up buying one at Advance. I had a 20% coupon I stacked with a $20 off $50 or more purchase. Out the door for $51:biggrin:

The wife and I had a great time on the lake. The boys were both bored out of their minds. I guess after the Hiawassee on Wednesday, the lake seems pretty tame:rolleyes:

I guess I just need to make sure I charge it right away, etc.

I also think I'm gonna replace my cheap charger with the one Shawn recommended in his DIY trolling motor post since my current one doesn't have trickle charging and is only $50
Now that is some wise shopping! I wish all my shopping needs would end up that rewarding. Good job! The Schumaker Marine Charger works great for deep cycle batteries and the 15amp charge will get you back to full (well, in a temporal sense) by the next day. I have went through one charger already; it had some kind of short and burnt the board. I think it was just used and abused a little. I do wish their plastic case had a little more protection. But, they are great chargers for the price.
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/026666/026666709743lg.jpg

Schumaker is the best brand battery charger, has been for half a century or more
:smile:

duckypaddler
08-11-2015, 07:26 AM
Now that is some wise shopping! I wish all my shopping needs would end up that rewarding. Good job! The Schumaker Marine Charger works great for deep cycle batteries and the 15amp charge will get you back to full (well, in a temporal sense) by the next day. I have went through one charger already; it had some kind of short and burnt the board. I think it was just used and abused a little. I do wish their plastic case had a little more protection. But, they are great chargers for the price.
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/026666/026666709743lg.jpg

:smile:

In other post you said to buy http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SSC-1500A-CA-SpeedCharge-Charger-Battery/dp/B000H961YI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439292248&sr=8-2&keywords=Schumaker+Marine+Charger

But your picture is of a different one. Is there a different model I should buy. Gonna order one today and thought I would ask

elkhaircaddis
08-11-2015, 07:59 AM
If you are only using you battery 2-3 times a year I would get that one or maybe even cheaper model. I have the one on wheels that can jump off a car but I use my batteries at least 2-3 times a week. The plastic Case models you just have to keep inside and don't use an extension cord if you can help it

elkhaircaddis
08-11-2015, 08:01 AM
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq236/rusty50576/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsz8jxt0gc.jpg (http://s451.photobucket.com/user/rusty50576/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsz8jxt0gc.jpg.html)

Here's the two I have currently

MadisonBoats
08-11-2015, 06:23 PM
In other post you said to buy http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SSC-1500A-CA-SpeedCharge-Charger-Battery/dp/B000H961YI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439292248&sr=8-2&keywords=Schumaker+Marine+Charger

But your picture is of a different one. Is there a different model I should buy. Gonna order one today and thought I would ask

This is the new version of that model. It is a great charger for deep cycle batteries. If you do not need a fast charger; than you can save money by looking at some lower amp models that are built a little better. However; I like the digital chargers as I usually just plug up in the evening and it is ready in the morning without worrying about overcharging, etc.

buzzmcmanus
08-11-2015, 07:59 PM
You know a guy fishes a lot when he keeps his battery chargers in the living room. I like it.

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq236/rusty50576/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsz8jxt0gc.jpg (http://s451.photobucket.com/user/rusty50576/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsz8jxt0gc.jpg.html)

duckypaddler
08-12-2015, 09:13 AM
This is the new version of that model. It is a great charger for deep cycle batteries. If you do not need a fast charger; than you can save money by looking at some lower amp models that are built a little better. However; I like the digital chargers as I usually just plug up in the evening and it is ready in the morning without worrying about overcharging, etc.

Ok I just went out and looked at my old battery charger. It's a Schumaker 10 Amp fast charge metal case not digital, and doesn't have trickle feature. Should I sell it and but the other model or should I just buy http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-1.5-amp-battery-charger-maintainer-ac-15cr-sem-156/17280006-P?navigationPath=L1*14920%7CL2*15001%7CL3*15606 (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-1.5-amp-battery-charger-maintainer-ac-15cr-sem-156/17280006-P?navigationPath=L1*14920%7CL2*15001%7CL3*15606) something like this. Since I hardly ever use it want to have something maintain it. I really don't care how fast it charges.

Thanks for everyone's help:biggrin:

And Buzz - That's his garage, and since it had drapes I think he must have hooked more than some Bass and Trout:biggrin:

elkhaircaddis
08-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Those older metal case needle chargers are good too, but the maintainer should work fine for you as long as you start charging at least 2-3 days in advance before your trip. If it was me I would hang on to the old charger but I drain a lot of batteries, not just in my boats

Grumpy
08-12-2015, 10:10 PM
Some "maintainers" are designed to be left on charge all the time to keep it that way, it will kick in as the charge depletes.

MadisonBoats
08-13-2015, 06:24 AM
...It's a Schumaker 10 Amp fast charge metal case not digital, and doesn't have trickle feature. Should I sell it and but the other model or should I just buy http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-1.5-amp-battery-charger-maintainer-ac-15cr-sem-156/17280006-P?navigationPath=L1*14920%7CL2*15001%7CL3*15606 something like this. Since I hardly ever use it want to have something maintain it. I really don't care how fast it charges.

That Schumaker 10 Amp will be perfect for re-charging your deep cycling battery back to capacity levels.

You should be mindful how long you have it on charge and to not forget that is on the charger as to not cause any potential overcharging or fire hazards.

If you use an extension cord; make sure it is just long enough and a large capacity cord.

As for the trickle charger; I find them not very useful for my needs. I do not think I would be comfortable with my battery hooked up to power for long periods of time. Plus, it will only help maintain the capacity levels. They have their needs and uses, but, are not that practical for my typical needs.
The 10 Amp charger should get a typical deep cycle at 50% capacity back to around 100% at 10 Amps in about 10-15 hours.

Hope this helps. Also; be mindful to wear eyeglasses or sunglasses when working with batteries. When it is hot and they are hot-their gases can make them explode easily. I had one do this in a vehicle once and it actually lifted the hood release. Make sure you add distilled water when needed.

duckypaddler
08-13-2015, 07:42 AM
That Schumaker 10 Amp will be perfect for re-charging your deep cycling battery back to capacity levels.

You should be mindful how long you have it on charge and to not forget that is on the charger as to not cause any potential overcharging or fire hazards.

If you use an extension cord; make sure it is just long enough and a large capacity cord.

As for the trickle charger; I find them not very useful for my needs. I do not think I would be comfortable with my battery hooked up to power for long periods of time. Plus, it will only help maintain the capacity levels. They have their needs and uses, but, are not that practical for my typical needs.
The 10 Amp charger should get a typical deep cycle at 50% capacity back to around 100% at 10 Amps in about 10-15 hours.

Hope this helps. Also; be mindful to wear eyeglasses or sunglasses when working with batteries. When it is hot and they are hot-their gases can make them explode easily. I had one do this in a vehicle once and it actually lifted the hood release. Make sure you add distilled water when needed.

Ok here's my dilemma: I am forgetful sometimes and am worried I might leave on the charger too long. If I got the model you suggested this would be ok because it would go into trickle mode, right? Are you saying even if I have a triackle charger I shouldn't keep battery hooked up all the time? I hoped that the model you suggested would be a set it and forget it, but please tell me if that is a wrong assumption. Since I don't use battery very often, I'm worried about it keep a charge between when I recharge it (right after use) and 6-9 months later when it gets used again. Should this not be a worry as long as it's not on ground (heard that would do something). If I keep my current charger and don't get a trickle can I just top off on my battery again (not sure for how long) before I go again, or will that hurt battery? I may be overthinking this. My lack of battery lasting in the past in hindsight may had to do more with me not recharging right away, so please let me know if I'm overthinking. I'm sure I could get $20 on craigslist for my charger so a $35 investment is fine for set it and forget it, or even for the ability not to overcharge, but if there is no need I'd rather just spend that at LRO:biggrin: