PDA

View Full Version : i built a drift boat

2weightfavorite
09-05-2015, 10:56 PM
Well, Ive been dreaming of building a drift boat for years... So this spring, I figured, why not try it...? I started by looking at the size specs of some of the major brands of drift boats out there and decided I wanted to build a 16 foot boat. I knew I wanted it to be 48 inches wide at the widest part on the bottom and 72 inches at the widest part at the top. So from there I drew some plans to a 1 foot to 1/4 inch scale. I extended the lines on a separate paper to be able to measure the angles with a protractor so I would know how to cut the ribs and other parts for the boat. Once I had the angles all figured I decided to build a model... So with some poster board and craft sticks I made a 1/10 scale model of the boat. Thank goodness I did this step! I quickly realized that the larger the angle of the sides to the bottom the more upward curve you create on the bottom of the boat. Until this point I had no idea how to obtain the upward curve a driftboat needs...From there it was down hill... I made the ribs, cut out the bottom, attached the ribs to the bottom and then scarfed plywood together for the sides. Once it was all together I filled every gap and screw hole with exterior wood putty. Then came the sanding...a lot of sanding... Finally I coated the outside with 6 oz fiber cloth and 3 coats of resin, followed by 2 coats of gell coat. I painted the inside and put on the gunwails, and installed the seats. I still have some hardware to install, and I have to doctor up the trailer I have to fit the boat exactly. All in all it wasn't too bad to put together. Id love it if you check out my photo bucket album called "driftboat" to see the progressive photos.
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy74/troutbum27/driftboat/20150905_200453_zpsjz04ys3r.jpg

2weightfavorite
09-05-2015, 11:02 PM
my photobucket name is troutbum27 by the way.

surfdog
09-06-2015, 08:04 AM
nice work, did you keep a total cost of the project? also did you find any plans online? this looks like a project that I would like to do when I retire

duckypaddler
09-06-2015, 08:16 AM
You got a link for those pictures? When I goto Photobucket and type in your username no results come up, then if I add drift boat to your name I get 400,000+ images that I don't think are yours:rolleyes:

How was the gelcoat hard to work with? Did you spray it, or how did you apply? I want to experiment with gel coat on my foamie boats:smile:

How much time was involved?

Thanks for sharing:biggrin:

2weightfavorite
09-06-2015, 10:36 AM
I'll post the link in a couple hours when I get home. I had no plans... I heard that the plans for sale online aren't much help, so I didn't waste the money on them. The gel coat wasn't bad at all to work with. I actually brushed it on as opposed to spraying it. Total cost of the boat materials so far is about 800$. I still have the trailer to fix up however... I think all said and done, oars hardware and fixing the trailer will cost me about 1300$ total. Much cheaper than buying a boat!