PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Steelhead

Stonefly
02-04-2008, 01:33 PM
How late into the spring is there decent steelhead fishing in the streams in Michigan? I.e., is it all done by Feb or March?

I'm thinking maybe the Manistee, the Muskegon or the PM.

sb

kytroutman
02-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Steve:

I have fished there as late as mid-April and still encountered the steelheads in the streams. It's also pretty good fishing in August in Lake Michigan once the steelheads and kings have made their runs, though you can't fly fish.

Stonefly
02-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Kytroutman -

Thanks much. I may have a chance to combine a business trip with some fishing, and would seem that the later the better, as far as weather goes. Long as there's still fish in the crick, of course.

sb

Jswitow
02-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Steve couple of outfitters on the subject.
Schmidt Oufitters (wellston I think)
Gray Drake (www.graydrake.com)
Dustan Harley (www.rippleguideservice.com).
Have fished with Gray Drake and Ripple, would recommend both. Fished with both on the Muskegon.
I understand the St. Joe fishes well in the Spring as well as the Muskegon and Manistee and Little Manistee.
Best,
John

ccmmcc
02-09-2008, 08:11 PM
The steelhead can still be caught into April, but it really starts to slow down by mid-April. I can suggest Schmidt Outfitters. The guides are all first class. Ray Schmidt is a great guy. I recommend a guide by the name of Larry. By the way, they fish mainly on the Manistee, but also some of the smaller rivers around like the Pine, Bear and Little Manistee. Enjoy.

Realtyman
02-09-2008, 11:37 PM
There's not but one way to find out for sure:biggrin: I've been itching to go for the last 4 months.

Sweepercts
02-29-2008, 11:13 AM
You will want to watch it closely this year. They are predicting a big run and with winter holding on like it is it will probably linger based on weather and numbers of fish. It is normally over by mid-April but should hold on this year and some streams are later than others. The PM is my favorite stream but the MO and Manistee get good runs as well.

Chuck

(http://www.thecedarsweeper.com)

Byron Begley
03-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Sweepercts,

I have looked at every page of your new blog. It looks great. However I have a couple of suggestions that might prove to be beneficial to you. I couldn't find your contact information on the site so please e-mail me as soon as possible.

Byron Begley
Owner
Little River Outfitters

The Principal
07-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Does the PM have a fall run? Say, middle of Sept.?

Stonefly
07-26-2008, 12:51 PM
As I recall, we fished the king run in Sept about 20 yrs ago. The steelhead were just coming in then, but the kings were strong.

sb

The Principal
07-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks,
Our Fly Fishing Club has a trip planned Sept. 14-19.
I was just wondering if Steelhead would be an option
as well as the Salmon. We will be mainly on the Pere
Marquette.

Jswitow
07-31-2008, 12:22 AM
Good luck, and let us know how you fare. You won't be far from the Little and Big Manistees either. Probably the PM is as good as it gets though.
Post some pics too! I am hoping to go this fall, but have not booked yet. Probably won't get there this year.
Tight lines,
John

Stonefly
07-31-2008, 06:00 PM
The trip that was kind of in the works back in the late winter/early spring is now looking like a possibility for Sept or Oct. That should be pretty good timing I think

sb

gutshot
08-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks,
Our Fly Fishing Club has a trip planned Sept. 14-19.
I was just wondering if Steelhead would be an option
as well as the Salmon. We will be mainly on the Pere
Marquette.

In years past the chinooks were in the river by the end of august....once that happens the trout fishing goes to heck....skamania run steelhead should be in the river by late July in small numbers....hooked several in early august years past....be ready for the break offs....crazy fish...

GS

golfballs03
08-25-2008, 02:06 PM
I just moved to Ohio and want to get up and fish some of the great lake tributaries. I'll get a guide for the first trip, but when is the best time to fish up there? And where is the fishing better: Ohio, Michigan, or Pennsylvania?

pineman19
08-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Hello ,

I have posted a link before for Mad River Outfitters which is located in Columbus, OH. The keep a ongoing report during the season on the Ohio steelhead streams I bought my first flyfishing outfit from them around 12 yrs ago. I went fishing one time at Cooneaut Creek. We got skunked that day since ithad rained a lot the day before and the water was off-color. Clink on the link for flyfishing reports and you should be able to get an idea of season.

You may also want to try the Mad River for brown trout. I caught my first trout on a salmon egg there around 34 yrs. ago. It's a limestone stream, very fertile and has some nice browns. Access is somewhat limited, but it's a nice stream.

Good luck,

Neal

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/t-steelhead-central.aspx

bhrt
07-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Anyone have any experience on the Dowagiac or Galien rivers in southern Michigan?

I'll be in that area for a few days this weekend and would like a diversion from family activities :biggrin:

From what I've gathered the Gowagiac is a decent river with some stocked browns. Sounds like there is fairly good access as well. I've got a 9' 5wt that I'm hoping will be stout enough. Looking for recommendations on flies or outfitters in the area.

Hope everyone has a fun and safe 4th.

Ryan