Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly recommendations

Default Fly recommendations

We're headed to the Smokies next weekend (Thurs 12th) to one of the Fontana streams and I want to make sure I'm not leaving out any "must-have" flies. I've got the standard arsenal of BHHE, BHPT, BH Prince, Wooly Buggers, Adams, BWO, EHC, and Stimulators packed up; and have room in my flybox for a few more. What else should I throw in there?

Also, we mostly fish C&R; but will keep a few for the fire one night if we catch enough. Considering we will be backpacking, does anyone have a better recipe than onion, lemon, garlic,mustard, dill and s&p that would be tasty? Mmmm, is it Thursday yet?

I don't have any suggestions but am excited to benefit from the reponses. I also am heading to the Townsend base camp next week for 4 days of fishing. The far end of the long term forecast suggests nice days and wine sipping cool evenings.

I'll be fishing the Tn side of the Park the same time you are down. I think you got your bases covered. The only other thing I could say, some from experience, some from the responses I received, are little black and brown stones, blue quills ( I'm sure a #16 to #18 BWO will cover it ), and Quill Gordons #10 -#14. Don't forget tellicos on the nymph side. I've been told a reverse tellico is particularily deadly.

I would ALWAYS have tan caddis and black caddis on hand in #18.

Also have a couple of tellico nymphs

2nd the Little Back Caddis - and some small softhackes to boot - lost a huge brown on one Friday after throwing small pt all afternoon, decided to switch and wham! a head shaking, line breaking gator of a brown suprised the mess out of me and took me and my rig to school...I'm going out tomarrow to get my rig back
    May you find a rise in every puddle... - WATERBORN

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandalay View Post
    I would ALWAYS have tan caddis and black caddis on hand in #18.
    Art, I like the way you think! Black caddis has saved the day many a time.
    John

I'll expound on the black caddis. I think it's as good of fly as the #14 Parachute Adams which "imo" is the single best "dry" fly in the park......only cause the blackbird is a wet. I have a guide friend that almost always uses a #18 black caddis as his dropper on a tandem nymph rig. It might be better as a wet than a dry.

Good luck.

Art

Check out "Suggested Flies" on the Fishing Report Page. The last list is dated 03/02. Of course, getting input from such an august group of Appalachian fly masters is preferred! Tight Lines. TDS

Okay, cool. Thanks for the responses. I think I have most of the suggested flies except for the tellico nymphs. I don't even know what a reverse tellico is.

Regarding using the EHC as a dropper, do I just allow it to become waterlogged, or add some split shot to it? Dead drifted or actively fished?

Do most of you fish a tandem rig of dry/dropper, or concentrate on a single fly?