Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tailwater fly fishing.......

Default tailwater fly fishing.......

for about four years, as a visitor to the area, i fished little river inside the park. i'm an old guy and pretty stubborn. i caught fish, not many, but i did learn the river. i heard of guides who took clients fishing and caught 30 or 40 fish. i have a new crisp one hundred dollar bill i will give if ANYONE who can prove they catch that many fish inside the park, no exceptions.
    i, on the other hand, have discovered the clinch river tailwater below the norris dam. i've never gone fishing there that i haven't caught at least ten fish in a two or three hour period. i have caught five fish that have been from 20 inches to 24 inches. and i, unlike the guides in the park, have proof. that is all.........

I don't understand why you're comparing fishing in the Park to fishing the Clinch and then throwing guides into the equation. Sounds like you have an axe to grind with a guide (s). Why don't you take it up with them personally instead sharing your crap on the forum?

Neal

30 to 40 fish days in the park aren't all that uncommon if things are right. Some times, it is pretty easy to pull a fish out of every riffle, run, pocket, and pool. Some days it's not. Tailwater fishing is the same way. I'm not really sure why you are trying to start something here.

Default Easy does it boys...

Norman, in mid to late May, take a handful of #16 yellow PAs up to the Chimneys Picnic Area on the WPLP. and fish your way up to the confluence of Road Prong and Walker Camp. It would take about 6-8 hours depending on how quickly you fish. You should easily catch 5-8 fish per hour (or more) if the water is right (around 225CFS and about 55-58 degrees).

If you stick to fishing along the road on the Little River, I agree it would be very hard to catch 30 fish. The fish along the roads in the park get a lot more pressure and are much harder to catch. But if you travel a few miles above Elkmont, you could probably catch 30+ when the conditions are right there, as well.

You won't do it every day, but its more than possible. You also can't stand in the same spot for very long. If you've cast into a pool more than half a dozen times, you're wasting your time. Your first few casts are the only ones that will catch any fish on a small stream. Its best to keep moving. Small stream fishing is very different than tailwaters.

Not better, just different...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."

As a guide in the smokies I have to aagree witgh the above post. 40 fish days are not that uncommon in the park, especially in the higher altitudes if you count all the 3 and 4 inch fish you bring to hand. Getting a beginner to catch that many however is a different story... I would also add that in my own opinion, the mountains produce fish more consistantly than the tailwaters. The fishing is less technical and the fish are a little more oportunistic...in my own opinion..

For me, good days in the park are when I'm catching at least 9-10 fish an hour. On slow days I might only catch 5 or 10 in 3-4 hours depending on where I'm fishing... Go ahead and put the $100 in an envelope...I'll have picture proof in a couple of weeks for you... Oh, and do I get $100 every time I catch that many fish? Maybe I can finally afford to go fishing all the time...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Quote Originally Posted by PeteCz View Post
    Norman, in mid to late May, take a handful of #16 yellow PAs up to the Chimneys Picnic Area on the WPLP. and fish your way up to the confluence of Road Prong and Walker Camp. It would take about 6-8 hours depending on how quickly you fish. You should easily catch 5-8 fish per hour (or more) if the water is right (around 225CFS and about 55-58 degrees).

If you stick to fishing along the road on the Little River, I agree it would be very hard to catch 30 fish. The fish along the roads in the park get a lot more pressure and are much harder to catch. But if you travel a few miles above Elkmont, you could probably catch 30+ when the conditions are right there, as well.

You won't do it every day, but its more than possible. You also can't stand in the same spot for very long. If you've cast into a pool more than half a dozen times, you're wasting your time. Your first few casts are the only ones that will catch any fish on a small stream. Its best to keep moving. Small stream fishing is very different than tailwaters.

Not better, just different...
    Pete,

Thanks for giving away my secret stream. I guess I should used this method 20 yrs ago to get info on fishing the Gorge, LOL.

I am still scratching my head over this one. Haven't really figured out if this is a legitimate post or somebody trolling around.....

By the way, for those of you reading the original post, there are no 20 to 24" fish in the Clinch. Need to go to other tailwaters for that kind of quality fish, may I recommend the South Holston or Watauga.

Everybody has good and bad days in both the park and tailwaters. And just as soon as you think you have one of them figured out, it will jump up and bring a skunking your way. Just enjoy the fishing opportunities we are blessed with in East TN and take care of our resources. We are all in this together regardless of where we fish, how we fish, and whether we choose to make it our living.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteCz View Post
    .......... take a handful of #16 yellow PAs up to the Chimneys Picnic Area on the WPLP. and fish your way up to the confluence of Road Prong and Walker Camp....
    Better yet....take that $100, invest in midges, and stay on the clinch...forever.

Just sayin....seems like thats what you're into.

The biggest hindrance I ever have to a 30 fish day tends to be my own mistakes... granted, you can't expect to catch a whole mess of trout just any day, but there are plenty of days in the summer when it can easily be done. Seems like when the fish are really biting, my dropper gets tangled with my dry, or I'll get hung up in the rhodo, or my tippet will get frayed, or some other nonsense. That's why it's tough for a beginner to catch 20, 30, or 50 fish in a day. It's all about getting that line in the water.
    I got no style, I'm strictly roots.