Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Man photographs bear, bear bites man

GrannyKnot, I have allot of the same opinions as you. And, I sure don't know the correct answer to this issue. But I guess we need to remember
    that if we really love these things that the good Lord has provided us to
    enjoy and that the key words here are "nature" and "wild" life is that the best things to do is let them be as natural and as wild as we can if we
    want to continue to enjoy them. So I guess, the least we do to interfere
    and interrupt what the Lord has created the longer the joy will remain.
    "Evil prevails when good men do nothing"

If they had to tussle with one of these big boys they wouldn't be too eager to coax him up for a "personal" encounter:

<(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. 2 summers ago while in Yellowstone, I saw a bunch of people walking down a hillside (20 or 30 of them) with cameras pointed toward the bottom. About 100 yards ahead of them was the biggest bear I've ever seen. It was a grizzly and it's head looked to be about the size of a car door. This guy was VERY big even for a grizzly bear.

Had he decided to charge that group, I would have hated to be the slowest one in the pack.

We were heading to a stream to fish so we didn't stick around to watch the show, but this group of idiots was still moving forward toward a bear sitting there eating some type of berry on a bush (not sure what it was but he was eating something off a bunch of bushes at the bottom of the hill).

I know I would not want to be the person to interfere with his lunch plans, or perhaps become on the menu.

Some just don't care, some think it won't happen to me, and some are, like I said earlier, inexperienced when it comes to being out in the woods and have no idea they are in danger or putting the animal in danger.

One of my favorite quotes: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Bran View Post
    If they had to tussle with one of these big boys they wouldn't be too eager to coax him up for a "personal" encounter:

Yessir, no doubt, that's pretty doggone stupid!!
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
    One of my favorite quotes: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin
    LoL. I was just talking about this exact observation with my cube neighbor yesterday.

If you look at it from a stats perspective, a more accurate statement would be that half the people in this world are dumber than the MEDIAN intelligence. In reality, a good deal more than half of the people in this world are equal to or dumber than the AVERAGE intelligence. Yikes.

It's like measures of income and the 80/20 rule. Average income will tend to appear higher than median income, which often is a more accurate representation of a population.

Sorry. Enough dorky stats junk.
    I got no style, I'm strictly roots.

I understand "touron", but I don't think it's just a tourist thing....I think people are stupid. Like the line from Men in Black "a person is smart. People are dumb...." I'm a teacher, worked at a Wal-mart, work summers doing fed refuge clean up, etc.... in other words....

people are silly at home so what's to change them when they go on the road?!

The latest in this saga: http://www.citizen-times.com/article...NEWS/306250052

It appears some people are educated beyond their level of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by old tom View Post
    The latest in this saga: http://www.citizen-times.com/article...NEWS/306250052

It appears some people are educated beyond their level of intelligence.
    A degree in environmental studies?!? What a freaking idiot.
    I got no style, I'm strictly roots.

There is another thread on the board about what are you afraid of, I have been trying to think of what to say, when I realized that I am not afraid of much, but I have a lot of respect for wildlife. If this fellow is educated on wildlife then he should have known not to approach a bear close enough for one to bite his foot. Same thing with a Rattle Snake. if you are close enough to play with one with a stick, you will get bite. I have been coming to the GSMNP for 21 years averaging 4trips a year. I have only had one bear take a defensive posture against me and that was because I came up the stream and surprised him. Give the wildlife space and respect and you should not have any issues. Realize that they are physically stronger and faster than you are, give them space or give up space to them. But if you don't respect them and treat them like a domesticated pet, then you will learn to fear them quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    There is another thread on the board about what are you afraid of, I have been trying to think of what to say, when I realized that I am not afraid of much, but I have a lot of respect for wildlife. If this fellow is educated on wildlife then he should have known not to approach a bear close enough for one to bite his foot. Same thing with a Rattle Snake. if you are close enough to play with one with a stick, you will get bite. I have been coming to the GSMNP for 21 years averaging 4trips a year. I have only had one bear take a defensive posture against me and that was because I came up the stream and surprised him. Give the wildlife space and respect and you should not have any issues. Realize that they are physically stronger and faster than you are, give them space or give up space to them. But if you don't respect them and treat them like a domesticated pet, then you will learn to fear them quickly.
    Well said.