Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Holston Report: May 19, 2010

Default South Holston Report: May 19, 2010

Fished the S.Holston today and it was like fishing in a barrel as usual. Man that is a great river. Sulphers came on hard around 4-5. Caught most of my fish with a shadow cast technique in to the rise. Netted about 60 for the day.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Shadow Casting? Really?

Glad you had a good day on the SOHO, it has been quite year up there from what I have heard.

Good report Madison Boats, that goes along with what I've been hearing too. I've got plans to go this weekend for the first time this year. To get there though, I go right by the
    Clinch and that may be hard. I'll be by myself so I'm not sure what I'll do yet. Did you fish up high ,or did you fish downstream a ways. I'm worried about the weekend crowd but that's the way it is.

mstone

Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    Shadow Casting? Really?
    Yes, even though the fish were hitting sulphurs; they were still picky with the flies. I caught a few of the sulphurs and noticed most were egg-layers and were dropping and releasing-this was stirring up the fish and made them less picky. So, I shadow cast right in to the rise and they hit it immediately. That small adjustment equated significantly more fish than a natural drift.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    power

Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
    Yes, even though the fish were hitting sulphurs; they were still picky with the flies. I caught a few of the sulphurs and noticed most were egg-layers and were dropping and releasing-this was stirring up the fish and made them less picky. So, I shadow cast right in to the rise and they hit it immediately. That small adjustment equated significantly more fish than a natural drift.
    The only thing I have ever heard called shadow casting is the ridiculous show Brad Pitt did in a River Runs Through It.

Default shadow casting

Read somewhere that it was actually a local guide doing the casting, not Brad Pitt.

I believe it was Gary Borger

I think I remember seeing somewhere that it was Gary Borger that did the infamous "shadow cast" and other long distance shots in the film.

Over the years, I've had a few clients try to do it (Shadow Cast) too....and it never seems to work out that well and often ends in a birds nest, requiring nippers and more tippet.

Wow! I am extremely surprised more of you do not use the shadow cast. One of the easiest casts and extremely effect. Very quick reset time and minimal action required. Just remember to stop the rod at 12 o'clock....
    power

Think I will just discretely move on from this topic.....