Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Edgy" Fish

Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    Guess who showed thurman how to tie those sow bugs?
    Didn't he learn it in the Clinch River TU's tying class?
    Jason

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com

Don't know if he learned it there, but he taught my 2004 class how to tie 'em. I believe he called it one of his favorite "scruffy" patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
    Craig Harned?
    I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
    Didn't he learn it in the Clinch River TU's tying class?
    No, John was tying flies long before I was even born, he taught me when I was probably 10 years old, which has been 24 years ago. If it weren't for his influences I would not have gotten the start I did many moons ago.

Back then he refused to fish the Clinch, we would travel to fish out west (Oregon, Montana,) and also Wisconsin. But it wasn't until the mid 90's that I finally convinced him to give the Clinch another try. He used to go with me, and throw streamers until the fog burned off, then just hang out and watch me fish.

I can remember eons ago, my first trip to the smokies, he took me to Mill Creek which runs into Abrams, it was quite an experience.

Quote Originally Posted by psnapp View Post
    Don't know if he learned it there, but he taught my 2004 class how to tie 'em. I believe he called it one of his favorite "scruffy" patterns.
    We were in Wisconsin fishing spring creeks when I first showed him the pattern which was shown to me by Flat FlyN (Mr. Brandt). I was pounding them on it, and having to tie more in the evenings to have them to fish the next day. The rest is history.

I rememebr he would come get me out of Mrs. Thrumans class when I was in high school to give me a hand full of bugs to fish, and we would talk fishing for a few mins untill he told me to get back to class. I would then go up to the Thrumans house later in the evening and John would teach me a thing or two about tieing, and of course i would get help with my studies.

Just wish I could rememeber that fly. Hmm let me think. wrap the whole hook with lead, smash it down, tie in a turkey feather for the tail wrap with dubbing pull turkey over and nail polis the top of the fly. i think thats it, but what hook and what dubbing was used.

Wolf are you sure you taught Thurman that pattern? That man has been around fishing **** near 3/4 of a centry. And do you still tie that fly and fish it? The only time I have ever done any good with that fly was below the weir one day. Killed'em on it, but not since and that was many moons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
    I rememebr he would come get me out of Mrs. Thrumans class when I was in high school to give me a hand full of bugs to fish, and we would talk fishing for a few mins untill he told me to get back to class. I would then go up to the Thrumans house later in the evening and John would teach me a thing or two about tieing, and of course i would get help with my studies.

Just wish I could rememeber that fly. Hmm let me think. wrap the whole hook with lead, smash it down, tie in a turkey feather for the tail wrap with dubbing pull turkey over and nail polis the top of the fly. i think thats it, but what hook and what dubbing was used.

Wolf are you sure you taught Thurman that pattern? That man has been around fishing **** near 3/4 of a centry. And do you still tie that fly and fish it? The only time I have ever done any good with that fly was below the weir one day. Killed'em on it, but not since and that was many moons ago.
    Yep, we were in wisconsin when he first saw it.

He had tied scuds for years, but never done the sowbug thing.

I don't tie or fish them much anymore. I don't fish during the colder months when they were most effective. During the time period I am on the river, there are better flies to fish then them.

Did I have the recipe right on how to tie that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    .....split case soft hackle monkey rigger southpaw slackjawed stuff.
    Mr. Waterwolf, sir...you now owe me a new keyboard, as the above quote caused me to giggle uncontrollably, which left my keyboard covered in coffee. Also, coffee hurts when it exits through your nose.

Thinking of changing my user name on here to 'Monkey Rigger'.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."~Henry David Thoreau

Yeah and anyways, what's with the southpaw comment? I'm a southpaw!!!!

Did I have the recipe right on how to tie that thing?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Weenie View Post
    Mr. Waterwolf, sir...you now owe me a new keyboard, as the above quote caused me to giggle uncontrollably, which left my keyboard covered in coffee. Also, coffee hurts when it exits through your nose.

Thinking of changing my user name on here to 'Monkey Rigger'.
    Ha
    Yeah and anyways, what's with the southpaw comment? I'm a southpaw!!!!
    I couldn't think of anything else which wasn't profane to throw into that string. Southpaw just came to mind, nothing personal against lefties, y'all have enough working against you.