Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best "Cheap" Med-Fast Action Rod

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Best "Cheap" Med-Fast Action Rod

Folks,

I may be in the market for a new fly rod but my budget is limited (like everyone elses right now I suspect). I am interested in a 4 weight, 9 ft rod for use primarily in the tailwaters. Essentially I am looking for a rod that can throw line a good distance with moderate accuracy and will make a 12-16" trout seem like a whale. I started out looking at the Sage Flight and St. Croix Legend rods but my upper budget for the rod may be in the $200 range so I am looking for something cheaper.

Any thoughts on a rod that might fit the bill? A brand available at LRO would, of course, be ideal...

Thanks, Cincivol.

You mentioned a rod that is carried by LRO. My suggestion would be go to LRO and look at what they have, cast them and make the choice. I am confident the folks at LRO will do everything possible to help you make the right choice.
    Your signature indicates you are from Cincinnati and now a TN Vol, right?

Ross Essence FW490-4 $229.00
    Redington RS4 9044 $199.95
    Ross Essence FC490-4 $179.00
    St. Croix Imperial 2 and 4 piece $180 and $200
    I know a guy who has a couple rods in that range for sale new as well. tjw37909@yahoo.com

The trout will never know or care how much or how little you pay for a fly rod.
    Gone fishing.

The less expensive St Croix rods generally have a good reputation. Temple Fork Outfitters makes great affordable rods as well. I have two and like them both.

LRO carries both brands.

I've never felt like I would have caught more or better fish if I had a more expensive rod.

Thumbs up TFO and St. Croix

I agree with the St. Croix and TFO recomendations I have a St. Croix Imperial 4 wt. 8.5' rod, and It does pretty darn good for me. It is light enough to make your catch "feel like a whale" and fish light tippets without worrying too much about setting the hook to hard. Its casting distance, for me atleast, is pretty good. I do not own a TFO 4 wt, but own 5, 6, and 8 wt. models. They are all pretty darn good. They flex pretty well under pressure with big fish and cast very well. I really couldn't recommend one over the other.
    St. Croix Imperial 4 wt. : $170
    TFO 04 90 4 P: $150

You may wish to look at the new Winston Passport. George Anderson, the owner of the Yellowstone Angler in Livingston, Mt., just did a review on this rod in a 5 wgt. It sells for 199.00 I believe. You can go to their website and read about the Passport. It and numerous other rods were tested in their 5 wgt "shootout". If your interested you can also call the store ask about the matter. I have found them very helpful in the past. Always fun shopping for new gear!

That caught my eye also. LRO sells Winstons. Not sure if they have the Passport, but I bet they could get it.
    "Here fishy fishy."

Quote Originally Posted by Trico View Post
    You may wish to look at the new Winston Passport. George Anderson, the owner of the Yellowstone Angler in Livingston, Mt., just did a review on this rod in a 5 wgt. It sells for 199.00 I believe. You can go to their website and read about the Passport. It and numerous other rods were tested in their 5 wgt "shootout". If your interested you can also call the store ask about the matter. I have found them very helpful in the past. Always fun shopping for new gear!
    If it is anything like the Ascent, I wouldn't give it the time of day. I bought a 9' 4-wt Ascent that felt good casting at the store when compared to 2 other similar priced rods. However, after one full day flinging double nymph rigs on the Clinch, I felt like my arm was about to fall off. Blasted thing weighs in at around 4.5 ounces. In fly rod terms that is a heavyweight. I think part of the problem for me was that when I test cast one at LRO, I was using a lightweight standard arbor reel. I also attached a ridiculously heavy Orvis Mid-Arbor to mine that weighed in at 6 ounces before line and backing was added.

So my point is to be sure to test cast whatever it is that you are looking at, and if possible do so with a similar reel you plan to use.

CinciVol: Did you buy a rod yet. If so what did you end up getting?