Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small stream fly fishing setup?

Default Small stream fly fishing setup?

Hey folks,

I am looking to purchase a small stream fly rig. I have narrowed my search down to:
    Orvis Clearwater II 7' 4wt med action
    St Croix Imperial 7' 4wt fast action
    TFO Professional 8' 4wt fast action
    TFO Finesse 7' 9" 4wt med action
    I plan to couple one of these rods with a Orvis BBS II reel
    I am open to suggestions...don't plan to purchase until first or second week of March
    Any comments?

Charles
    "Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

Charles

LA Manta-

I think you're on the right track for setting up your rig. You do want a shorter rod, 4 wt, and a fast action. I base that upon the fact that the small streams usually have brush & trees along thlem and your back cast will be limited unless you like catching squirrels. You will probably have to make your casts with a roll cast and a fast action will help you load the rod quicker. And you probably will not be casting very far.

Good luck.

Bill

Yep sounds as if you are on the right track all of those rods are a good choice. My small stream rod is an 11 ft Tenkara.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum View Post
    LA Manta-

I think you're on the right track for setting up your rig. You do want a shorter rod, 4 wt, and a fast action. I base that upon the fact that the small streams usually have brush & trees along thlem and your back cast will be limited unless you like catching squirrels. You will probably have to make your casts with a roll cast and a fast action will help you load the rod quicker. And you probably will not be casting very far.

Good luck.

Bill
    I like a slower rod for small streams personally. I have more control on short casts.

I fishe the Smoky's with a 8' 2wt TFO. I love to fish the small streams. The 8' gives me length to keep line off the water and the 2wt.givens an awesome feel, I also use an Orvis reel.

I'm on the team that a slower rod is better in the backcountry because it loads with less line out and typically role cast better. As far as length, I think that is a personal preference depending on if you like to dap or cast. I like to cast so tend to go with someting ni the 7' range with a medium action. It kind of works out nice since I like bamboo and that is about the optimal setup. I've made and fished shorter and longer rods and usually go to either a 7' 4wt or a 7'6" 5wt rod.

I agree with the others that like slower rods. I would go for the TFO Finesse probably out of those choices... Try casting them all and see which one you like though because everyone is different...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Charles,
    Although I enjoy using 2 and 4 wts of various lengths I find that using 5 wts gives me a little more versatility. I have them in 6 to 10 ft lengths and usually select the longest one I think I can get away with that day. It depends on the type of water I'm fishing. Lots of books have been written about small stream fishing!

Lee

My small stream rod is a 7'-3" 2-wt TFO finesse series. It is what I like. Others prefer faster rods or longer rods. You need to go to LRO and test out a selection of rods and see what works best for you.

You can buy a rod based on our opinions, and absolutely regret your choice. Go physically put your hands on all those rods, preferably side-by-side, and make your decision then.

Default Small Stream

LA MantaRay12,

I am certainly not a casting expert nor a rod expert. However, I believe that a slower action rod does work better in conditions requiring a lot of short casts an roll casts. I agree with others that you need to go and compare the rods. I would make sure and do some roll casting during that process. I have a TFO Finesse that I use in the mountains on small streams. It is a great rod, but my casting method may vary significantly from yours. You don't want to make a decision that you regret later. Good luck and good drifts.
    Don Winningham

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.